Author Topic: Willie Williams Talks to Live Design  (Read 2100 times)

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
Willie Williams Talks to Live Design
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
Looks like this will be a multi-part interview and below is part 1. Interesting comments from him about the two different set lists idea and that it seemed to be what the band wanted until they started rehearsals.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Willie Williams Talks to Live Design
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »
All they had to do was state their intentions to do this BEFORE the tickets went on sale.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
I mean, it's pretty clear they didn't really know and hadn't fully thought it through until rehearsal time came around.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
I mean, it's pretty clear they didn't really know and hadn't fully thought it through until rehearsal time came around.

It is, and that's why I am not upset at them, because I knew that Bono was just talking out his backside and it wouldn't happen. However, I get why the people who did believe the hype and bought multiple tickets expecting different shows are upset.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
I haven't been to a show, but from what I've read, it can still be a "different" show from night to night depending on where you are located. For instance, I have GAs for Chicago 1 and 2, and it seems that you can have one kind o show if you are on the rail, and another perspective if you are further back and can see the screen, even if the set lists are similar. Or I'm just justifying going two nights.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:05:52 PM by lorijane »

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 01:41:55 PM »

It is, and that's why I am not upset at them, because I knew that Bono was just talking out his backside and it wouldn't happen. However, I get why the people who did believe the hype and bought multiple tickets expecting different shows are upset.

It doesn't bother me either but also have some sympathy for those attending mutilple shows on the basis of what was said.

However one point I would make is that wasn't just any old interview with Bono and therefore I would not class it as hype.  His comments were part of the official announcement of the tour on U2.com.  If I had wanted to go to multiple shows then I would have also taken his comments about having a completely different feeling from night 1 to night 2 as fact rather than just their intention.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »
I haven't been to a show, but from what I've read, it can still be a "different" show from night to night depending on where you are located. For instance, I have GAs for Chicago 1 and 2, and it seems that you can have one kind o show if you are on the trail, and another perspective if you are further back and can see the screen, even if the set lists are similar. Or I'm just justifying going two nights.

You mean there's a way to see U2 BESIDES being as close the band as possible? :)

I remember this being talked about during 360; people were saying that of course you want to get a good spot, but why would you want the exact same view every time you see the show? I think you've made an excellent point. If there were ever a show to see from different vantage points, I think this would be it.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »
However one point I would make is that wasn't just any old interview with Bono and therefore I would not class it as hype.  His comments were part of the official announcement of the tour on U2.com.  If I had wanted to go to multiple shows then I would have also taken his comments about having a completely different feeling from night 1 to night 2 as fact rather than just their intention.

That's the trouble, isn't it? I mean, sure, he only said they would "try" and it wasn't an absolute promise - but if there was still so much uncertainty about whether it was doable, why include that remark in the official tour announcement? That's really not a good place for Bono to be idly speculating about what might happen. As others have said, if they ever want to do alternating shows of some sort, they need to fully plan and explain it *before* any tickets go on sale - otherwise, forget about it. This whole thing has been handled very messily.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »
I'm just amazed people are still whining about the supposed 2-night set.  I bought multiple shows and I never, I mean never, seriously thought the band could pull off a completely different show over 2 nights.  If you really thought that would happen, then honestly and with all due respect, you take these guys too much at their word, or just did not think through the implications of this. 

The most interesting bit in the interview, to me, is the notion that the tour would have started this time last year.   Given all that has happened I would love to know what was the single biggest factor in moving it back a year?  I suspect they just weren't happy with the album... we know it wasn't Bono's injury b/c that happened post-SOI release.  I wonder what sort of album we would have gotten had it been released a year earlier... I guess we'll never know.

Offline Pathop

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Fact is, it was stated 2 different shows...I have been to every tour since Zoo TV multiple times and going to do the same for this one, but its wrong that people were unintentionally deceived.  The same way ticket holders were unintentionally deceived about the red zone and obstructed views.  Dont know why these things werent worked out.  It is unfortunate but what I am beginning to realize is that we are all still going to love the show and be excited about the hopefully experience stadium tour.  At least I will.

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 06:41:01 PM »
Let's be honest,  was the possibility of 2 different shows the reason why most people bought tix to multiple shows?  I have a feeling (and I could be completely wrong) that most people (myself included) who are going to multiple shows would still be doing so had U2 never mentioned anything about 2 different shows. 

That said, if you did purchase tickets to multiple shows on the notion of two different shows and are pi**ed off about it, Stub hub is your friend.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:55 PM »
Let's be honest,  was the possibility of 2 different shows the reason why most people bought tix to multiple shows?  I have a feeling (and I could be completely wrong) that most people (myself included) who are going to multiple shows would still be doing so had U2 never mentioned anything about 2 different shows. 

That said, if you did purchase tickets to multiple shows on the notion of two different shows and are pi**ed off about it, Stub hub is your friend.

Exactly.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 03:30:39 AM »
I'm just amazed people are still whining about the supposed 2-night set.  I bought multiple shows and I never, I mean never, seriously thought the band could pull off a completely different show over 2 nights.  If you really thought that would happen, then honestly and with all due respect, you take these guys too much at their word, or just did not think through the implications of this. 

The most interesting bit in the interview, to me, is the notion that the tour would have started this time last year.   Given all that has happened I would love to know what was the single biggest factor in moving it back a year?  I suspect they just weren't happy with the album... we know it wasn't Bono's injury b/c that happened post-SOI release.  I wonder what sort of album we would have gotten had it been released a year earlier... I guess we'll never know.

Amazed? Its a bait-and-switch. Not intentionally, but that's how it worked out. Hell, I don't mind if the two nights aren't *that* different, but I would expect something more different than songs #2,#4,#13-14, and #19 being changed. Changing out 20% of the set doesn't mean a 'completely' different feel... unless they start busting out Slayer covers and encore with 'Reign In Blood'.

I would hope they juggle the sequences around a bit, even if that means set#1 is set#2 but played first, or opening with Hawking speech and COBL occasionally. That would keep it fresh. I laid down for seven shows in the expectation that there would be two different 'feels' on this tour and a decent amount of set rotation : if they hadn't said that, I would've gone for four shows and saved myself over a thousand pounds including all associated costs.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 05:55:13 AM »
I believe they misled the fans going to multiple shows.  It is not good enough for those who say well, I can't believe you believed Bono this time around.  Yes, normally he talks from his backside and I never take him seriously but the difference this time is that his statement of two different show (and that is why they booked shows in pairs) was part of the OFFICIAL PRESS TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT.  Now a lot of people including myself based their plans on how many shows to see on this statement.  I went to Vancouver for the opening 2 shows based on this and would never have gone knowing now that all that was going to be different were 6 songs from night 1 to night 2 and that they actually said only a week before to the NY times that they changed their minds on the 2 different show concept.  This was totally misleading and very disappointing.   They should have never made this statement if it was not their intention. 

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 07:18:30 AM »
Interesting interview. I agree w/ Slydanner & Fastcars here. 

First, Bono says a lot of things, the band normally doesn't change up their set lists from show to show, they are known for this, and that is the general basis to go by when buying tickets. The reasons have been stated in other threads - due in part to theme, musicianship & production elements (video, staging, choreography etc) that can limit spontaneity & changes.

With this tour, the changes with the set lists ARE a departure and they seem to be making it work, staying true to and sticking with their theme which is the anchor, as well as changing more and more songs for fans, mostly in the 2nd set.  They are hitting their stride particularly after the Roxy, and appear more relaxed & fluid to switch things up more spontaneously, even leaving the printed/intended setlist.  Last night they played 9 SOI songs + Ordinary Love, including debut of Volcano & return of The Troubles.  It was a great energetic show - crowd & band was into it.

Is it enough? I think it is & whether you see it from different vantage points or not.  I don't think some will be happy no matter what they play - there's always complaints about songs & the warhorses. U2 can't win and they do try to raise their game & satisfy fans. Moreover,  changes can't happen unless they scrapped the theme & production altogether for a stripped down arena show along the lines of what they did at the Roxy. That'd go against SOI's theme & their intention to underline & highlight that & change their whole production. Not going to happen. 

Separate to this & related (discussed on other threads) I think it more problematic that the maps and tickets sold had the stage flipped & erroneously represented, including the RZ areas, in addition to the lack of foresight & planning with the "division" screen/staging & blocked views. Those are major misrepresentations that fans could not reasonably anticipate & should not have been made on the fly given ticket prices.  They have tried to remedy this a bit with small screens at the ends, raising the 'division' more, stage choreography, and post-haste revised maps at some venues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:23:04 AM by p8ru2 »