Author Topic: Willie Williams Talks to Live Design  (Read 2101 times)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Willie Williams Talks to Live Design
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 08:27:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is it enough? I think it is & whether you see it from different vantage points or not.  I don't think some will be happy no matter what they play - there's always complaints about songs & the warhorses. U2 can't win and they do try to raise their game & satisfy fans.

One matter that sort of gets overlooked in these discussions too: even if you had two completely different set lists, there's still going to be songs that you want to see more than others and some songs that you enjoy live more than others. Say someone is in the minority and actually going to more than one show in a row. It's not like you're going to suddenly enjoy every single song they do or not be less than thrilled when they leave out songs you want to see out of those shows. For those going to one show, the problem is the same thing they alluded to in that article... you'll feel like you missed out on something.

Moreover,  changes can't happen unless they scrapped the theme & production altogether for a stripped down arena show along the lines of what they did at the Roxy. That'd go against SOI's theme & their intention to underline & highlight that & change their whole production. Not going to happen. 

And yet people are still going to say that they should scrap video production altogether for the sake of playing "whatever they wanted" to play. I even see this mentioned on other message boards for other artists, assuming that it somehow guarantees off-the-cuff performances or rarities. Maybe in some ways, but I don't think it guarantees completely different songs ever night either. Like it or not, they've had video production in their shows for a long time now and it's probably here to stay.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:00:30 AM by trevgreg »

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »
Is it enough? I think it is & whether you see it from different vantage points or not.  I don't think some will be happy no matter what they play - there's always complaints about songs & the warhorses. U2 can't win and they do try to raise their game & satisfy fans.

One matter that sort of gets overlooked in these discussions too: even if you had two completely different set lists, there's still going to be songs that you want to see more than others and some songs that you enjoy live more than others. Say someone is  in the minority and actually going to more than one show in a row. It's not like you're going to suddenly enjoy every single song they do or not be less than thrilled when they leave songs you want to see out of those shows. For those going to one show, the problem is the same thing they alluded to in that article... you'll feel like you missed out on something.

Moreover,  changes can't happen unless they scrapped the theme & production altogether for a stripped down arena show along the lines of what they did at the Roxy. That'd go against SOI's theme & their intention to underline & highlight that & change their whole production. Not going to happen. 

And yet people are still going to say that they should scrap video production altogether for the sake of playing "whatever they wanted" to play. I even see this mentioned on other message boards for other artists, assuming that it somehow guarantees off-the-cuff performances or rarities. Maybe in some ways, but I don't think it guarantees completely different songs ever night either. Like it or not, they've had video production in their shows for a long time now and it's probably here to stay.

Agree completely. Do I ponder & wish certain songs were replaced by others or more rotations? Sure I do (and 2 particularly) but at the same time I'm confident in letting the band decide & happy with the balance they've struck for their shows. Not everyone goes to multiple shows & there are many that really enjoyed songs & not others, whether diehard or casual fans. Hard to please everyone.  My "two" to exclude are BTBS & WOWY but they're very popular, so be it. Small concession. 

One thing I'll add re: the article & "FOMO" - I think that the band's worry about that stems a lot from fan feedback. I think they do care & listen which seems to be the case (in the article) but may have been too much (i.e.) anticipating people buying one show or another would "miss out" & be disappointed. 

Seeing them live is an experience that far surpasses online in feeds & videos. It's completely different. Same as the feeling & perceptions of the energy of the audience.  Perhaps one can be more 'objective' in following & scrutinizing performance & set lists from a distance but comparisons between in-person & via streams aren't equal. There's a reason that many have gone to multiple shows in past (& currently) which is not just fanatical.  They're amazing live & most songs really do come alive, even transform, when played live.

Re: Stripped down show vs. Production - Strong arguments for both & I think Roxy showed the merits. Obviously with arenas they could do either but they chose to do the latter to push the boundaries of concert going, including their new sound system (which is awesome).  If they could do the odd 'Roxy-small club' show during their tour (particularly with fan club) that would be a phenomenal compliment to the tour.  Probably not going to happen though, at least not on any regular basis.     
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:03:37 AM by p8ru2 »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
I hope that the takeaway from this is, we love Bono, but he gets ahead of himself.

This is the same guy who ... well, where to start? Let's stick with recent history. If you want to trust Bono's visions for the future about show structure and setlists after the whole Songs of Ascent debacle, you go right ahead. :)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 09:08:07 AM »
I hope that the takeaway from this is, we love Bono, but he gets ahead of himself.

This is the same guy who ... well, where to start? Let's stick with recent history. If you want to trust Bono's visions for the future about show structure and setlists after the whole Songs of Ascent debacle, you go right ahead. :)

He's a dreamer & dreams big. He gets ahead of himself sometimes & jokes about megalomania. The direct benefit is we are often surprised in what he and the band (as well as their team) come up with & throughout their careers.  All to their credit.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »
Re: Stripped down show vs. Production - Strong arguments for both & I think Roxy showed the merits. Obviously with arenas they could do either but they chose to do the latter to push the boundaries of concert going, including their new sound system (which is awesome).  If they could do the odd 'Roxy-small club' show during their tour (particularly with fan club) that would be a phenomenal compliment to the tour.  Probably not going to happen though, at least not on any regular basis.   

I'd love to see more 'smaller' gigs myself, for reasons stated, but I do wonder about the feasibility of it with the band's fan base size and all, obviously. The fan club thing would certainly be a good option, as it would cut off the sky-high scalper prices at the knees. But I can already see the comments about why it's only restricted to the fan club or why they haven't offered anything that good in the past! That or how we're all at the mercy of radio station calls, which I suppose is better than nothing...

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
Here's a thought for the idea of smaller gigs : Fan Club only shows, by lottery, 1 ticket per Fan Club member, held in smaller venues (2,000 or so capacity), played for free, as part of album launch promo tours. Instead of having u2 spend all day to play 3 song to 250 people chosen at random by a TV company, get them to play a small, 10-15 song set to 2,000 people and then gift the set free to a TV company or radio station with say, 1,000 tickets for the TV station and 2,000 for the fanclub. That'll give fans the 'small show', prevent the aggravation of U2 playing 10 miles from your house that you don't stand a chance of getting to, and be better than the for-TV neutered experience. For example, they played somewhere on last years promo tour that is actually walking distance from my house!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »
Here's a thought for the idea of smaller gigs : Fan Club only shows, by lottery, 1 ticket per Fan Club member, held in smaller venues (2,000 or so capacity), played for free, as part of album launch promo tours. Instead of having u2 spend all day to play 3 song to 250 people chosen at random by a TV company, get them to play a small, 10-15 song set to 2,000 people and then gift the set free to a TV company or radio station with say, 1,000 tickets for the TV station and 2,000 for the fanclub. That'll give fans the 'small show', prevent the aggravation of U2 playing 10 miles from your house that you don't stand a chance of getting to, and be better than the for-TV neutered experience. For example, they played somewhere on last years promo tour that is actually walking distance from my house!

Does anyone have any idea how many people are in the U2 fan club? I would love to know.

Offline u2beez

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
All they had to do was state their intentions to do this BEFORE the tickets went on sale.

Bruce Springsteen toured solo in 2005-06 which was clearly marked and marketed and people still went thinking they were seeing the E Street band.  Outside of our bubbles, people have no common sense about anything. 

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »
All they had to do was state their intentions to do this BEFORE the tickets went on sale.
Yeah but they didn't know.....

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »
Nothing wrong with changing the set up a little : you can still have the staging, just say, move the back half of Set 1 / start of Set 2 to be the end of Set 2 / encore start, for example... keeps it fresh

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »

Bruce Springsteen toured solo in 2005-06 which was clearly marked and marketed and people still went thinking they were seeing the E Street band.  Outside of our bubbles, people have no common sense about anything.

I would argue that this applies inside our bubbles too  :o

and I put myself in the category of sometimes abandoning common sense, to be honest  8)

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Well in fairness most gigs have been different every night so far, by U2 standards it has been radically different with them throwing in a couple of different songs each night,most big band's keep the same set list every night ask DM,ACDC ,Noel Gallagher, the consant reference to Bruce on here is nonsense he has about 20 players with him onstage and some of the obscure songs can bore the pants off the whole crowd apart from the hardcore i've seen him 4 times and have come away both disappointed and baffled.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 06:44:13 PM »
I'd love to see more 'smaller' gigs myself, for reasons stated, but I do wonder about the feasibility of it with the band's fan base size and all, obviously. The fan club thing would certainly be a good option, as it would cut off the sky-high scalper prices at the knees. But I can already see the comments about why it's only restricted to the fan club or why they haven't offered anything that good in the past! That or how we're all at the mercy of radio station calls, which I suppose is better than nothing...

You're probably right about the fan club #s being onerous - & that would also likely include scalper's who have multiple memberships to get tickets.  Hundreds of thousands of memberships? More? I dunno. 

I liked that the Roxy had only 450 capacity, the contest online (10/10), & restrictions for CA residents only (most not to my advantage unfortunately but good for locals).  This was of course in 'debt' of the Xmas show appearance but I suggested that maybe in future it could be consideration. Aside from the celeb VIPs it seemed like a great format.  Maybe it could be paid tickets & benefit one of their charities, instead of free - but their regular, not extortionist prices - or what mark reed suggests as far as promo/release & media . 

Highly doubt they'd ever do a free concert for 2000+ people unless it were for charity but I think all of your other ideas are great. 

Anyway, just dreaming out loud here.  :D Would be amazing if they could do this somehow in tandem with the current tour - 1 night per state or province.

*avoiding bubble, setlist & Boss discussion*