Author Topic: 40 in LA question  (Read 751 times)

Offline who922

• Babyface
40 in LA question
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:33:57 PM »
So I'm watching "40" when it was played in LA because of the Dennis Sheehan tribute.  There was great camera work and I thought I saw Adam playing the guitar!  Then I went back and watched it again, and sure enough Adam is playing the guitar and Edge is playing the bass!!!  I've never seen this before.  Do they do this on other songs or is this only for "40"?  Or is it because of Bono's injury?  Learning something new!  And they have never played "40" when I was there live.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: 40 in LA question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »
Always been the thing that they swap for this song...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline who922

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
Has anyone ever heard why?  Is it the only song they do it on?

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
Because that is what the did (almost) when recording 40.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »
I read somewhere once that aside from the fact that Adam wasn't present when they recorded it that the reason they swap is because the guitar part when they play it live uses a lot of feedback which means playing near an amp without another mic is necessary and edge can't do it because he sings backing vocals.

Not sure how true that is..
But defo recall reading it somewhere, just can't remember who said it...

Offline EvryPoetisAthief

• Stateless
  • Throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Has anyone ever heard why?  Is it the only song they do it on?

40 is a song that Bono said was written in 10 minutes when they were trying to add one more song to War before they were thrown out of the studio. Adam had already left so Edge was forced to do both guitar and bass parts. Since then it's always been symbolic that Edge and Adam play each other's instruments while also switching stage positions.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 06:54:58 PM »
Actually, 40' didn't come from nothing in the last day, but from musical ideas alrealy developed, but unfinished. So Adam probably composed the bass line. Well, here's what The Edge said in "U2 by U2":

THE EDGE: On the last day of our session, we worked all through the night, it's six in the morning and we still felt we were a song short. And then, to our horror the next session arrives. It's a band called Minor Detail and they are booked into the studio at eight o'clock. They arrived early just to hover about and get ready for their eight o'clock start. And we were saying: 'But we haven't finished our album. You know, we've been in here for the last eight weeks. This is our last morning. You're starting at eight? You're kidding! Can you give us some more time?' They weren't hearing it. We had two hours and that was it. So we said: 'OK, we've got one more song to do. What's it gonna be?'
                   There was another number we had worked up and eventually abandoned. It had a great bass hook, but a slightly unwield arrangement with lots of strange sections and time changes but we had failed to pull it together as a coherent song. Someone said, 'Let's dig out that tune and see wat we can do with it.' We decided to chop out the bits that weren't working - literally, so Steve did some very quick multi-track edits and took out any sections that just didn't seem to be part of the main idea. So then we had this slightly unusual piece of music and we said, 'OK, what are we going to do with it?' Bono said, 'Let's do a Psalm.' Opened up the Bible and found the Psalm 40. 'This is it. Let's do it.' And within 40 minutes we had worked out the last few elements for the tune, Bono had sung it, and we mixed it. And literally, after finishing the, we walked out through the door and the next band walked in.