Author Topic: Volcano  (Read 2032 times)

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
Re: Volcano
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
It should replace Vertigo in the first set.  And Mofo should replace I Will Follow.

meximofo

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
The band is really attached to the concept of the show as a story. That's why Volcano can't go before Iris. The first set is all about Innocence.

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The band is really attached to the concept of the show as a story. That's why Volcano can't go before Iris. The first set is all about Innocence.

What's innocent about Vertigo, mofo?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
Oh I think Vertigo definitely fits there thematically... it's just that Volcano would too.

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »
Oh I think Vertigo definitely fits there thematically... it's just that Volcano would too.

What are Vertigo and Volcano actually about?

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »

Vertigo was a story about selling a gazillion iPods.  ;)

Volcano is a coming of age song, Bono filled with rage after having lost his mother... Volcano is a metaphor for his anger coming out and finding an outlet in music ('you are rock n roll...')

I actually think Volcano would be great right after Miracle.... I understand the 'story' concept and how it follows Iris chronologically, but #2 would be a good setlist spot.. actually a GREAT setlist spot...

Offline thistrain

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 08:36:23 AM »
For me the problem is the chorus. The verses are played strong but the chorus is sung weakly, definitely not forceful like one would think of a volcano about to blow, so to speak. California is a much better song in my opinion.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
Volcano is the kind of song that really shouldn't be confined to the 'e' stage - it needs as much room (for Bono) to move as possible.  But then again, it could be that since it's about finding an outlet in music, it being on that stage basically symbolizes four boys simply jamming to let out some stress after so much drama. I do agree about the chorus being not as forceful as it should, and I do think that it would pop even more with some accompanying visuals on the screen (not necessarily of volcanos ;D)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »

Vertigo, like many U2 songs, is about finding God. Bono has said that the song is about a guy in a night club, kinda sick of everything, he's supposed to be having fun but he's not, the music is blaring, he's dizzy and he see's a girl with a chain around her neck with Jesus on the cross. He focuses on the Jesus chain to steady himself.

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »

Vertigo, like many U2 songs, is about finding God. Bono has said that the song is about a guy in a night club, kinda sick of everything, he's supposed to be having fun but he's not, the music is blaring, he's dizzy and he see's a girl with a chain around her neck with Jesus on the cross. He focuses on the Jesus chain to steady himself.

Maybe he should lay off the booze and then he might have a better time and actually pull the girl.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »
I think the bridge on vertigo is quoting Chris Blackwell and something he said to them in the early days. I just remember reading that some time ago or probably made it up... but a tenuous link to them starting out as a signed act.