Author Topic: Will MSG "Bridges" Obstruct view of the screen?  (Read 5234 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Will MSG "Bridges" Obstruct view of the screen?
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:26:49 AM »
With others asking about how their view will be impacted at the ends of the arena, I decided to look and see what the view from my seat would look like at MSG.  I am way up on the side, in section 212, and it turns out that the recent renovations place the 300-level seats along the bridge above and in front of my seat. 

According to this article
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You can see the entire playing surface (GA), but the view of the scoreboard (screen) can be obstructed.  Their solution is to put screens on the back of the bridge, so that sports fans can see the score there.  However, I am not sure this will translate into a good view for U2.  From the views in the article (we are in row 19), I think we will be able to see the screen when it drops down, but when it is up, there could be a problem.  From the back row, it will be even worse.

My tickets don't mention an obstructed view, so I can always ask to be reseated.  New Yorkers who have sat up there, is this an issue?  Do I need to be worried?

How much does the screen drop down?  It is harder to tell from youtube, but it looks to start about 15 feet up and then seems to be 10 feet up when Bono climbs the stairs, and then can be even lower at times.  I assume that when it is low, there will be no problem.  However, if it spends the majority of the concert raised up, I may not see things well.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:29:35 AM by EdgeUK8_my_mind »

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Will MSG "Bridges" Obstruct view of the screen?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
I have seats for NY2 in section 210 and noticed the potential view issue as well.  I've never been to MSG, so I'm not sure how obstructed, if at all, the view will be.  Would be nice if someone who has been inside the arena recently can say how they think the screen will work.  Do they keep the scoreboard up for concerts, or take it down?  If they keep it up, then the screen would probably hang below it and therefore be a little easier for us to see in those rows.  Or, I at least think it would be.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:08:57 PM by bonorules »

Offline u2beez

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:52:52 PM »
I have seats for NY2 in section 2010 and noticed the potential view issue as well.  I've never been to MSG, so I'm not sure how obstructed, if at all, the view will be.  Would be nice if someone who has been inside the arena recently can say how they think the screen will work.  Do they keep the scoreboard up for concerts, or take it down?  If they keep it up, then the screen would probably hang below it and therefore be a little easier for us to see in those rows.  Or, I at least think it would be.
The MSG scoreboard hangs higher than the u2 screen would hang so the answer is no.  I am a NY Rangers season ticket holder and I have seen countless concerts and what not.  People will be fine.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:03:32 PM »
I have seats for NY2 in section 2010 and noticed the potential view issue as well.  I've never been to MSG, so I'm not sure how obstructed, if at all, the view will be.  Would be nice if someone who has been inside the arena recently can say how they think the screen will work.  Do they keep the scoreboard up for concerts, or take it down?  If they keep it up, then the screen would probably hang below it and therefore be a little easier for us to see in those rows.  Or, I at least think it would be.
The MSG scoreboard hangs higher than the u2 screen would hang so the answer is no.  I am a NY Rangers season ticket holder and I have seen countless concerts and what not.  People will be fine.

That's good to know.  Thanks!

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:09:39 PM »

That helps! Thanks for the info!

Offline edge726

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 11:01:56 AM »
im worried that the screen and rigging will be so low that us up in the west balcony won't be able to see the catwalk/e-stage

Offline KimPopmart

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:25:08 AM »
I've been worried about the same thing!  I've been to MSG and been to the ieTour, but I still don't know.  Yes, when U2's screen is all the way down, which is not often, I think we'll see it just fine.  When the screen is at its usual level, I'm not sure.

When everyone goes - if you could post a picture/update that would be helpful for everyone, I'm sure! I'll be sure to do so.  I have some seats way up in 222 and 208.

Also, here's a link with an interactive seating chart:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   It only goes back to around Row 18 though - and my seats are even farther back.

Offline KimPopmart

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
im worried that the screen and rigging will be so low that us up in the west balcony won't be able to see the catwalk/e-stage

What section are you in?  West balcony is behind the main stage, but I may be able to give you a little more info.

Offline buckeyebonogirl

• Wanderer
  • I love you 'cause I need to
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
My seats are in section 214 row 12 - does anyone know if those are obstructed? Do you think that I will at least be able to get a good view of the screen?

Offline daviddevaul

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »
Here's a view from what seems to be about 6 rows from the very top.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »
I've been worried about the same thing!  I've been to MSG and been to the ieTour, but I still don't know.  Yes, when U2's screen is all the way down, which is not often, I think we'll see it just fine.  When the screen is at its usual level, I'm not sure.

When everyone goes - if you could post a picture/update that would be helpful for everyone, I'm sure! I'll be sure to do so.  I have some seats way up in 222 and 208.

Also, here's a link with an interactive seating chart:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   It only goes back to around Row 18 though - and my seats are even farther back.

Thanks a million for that link! I feel so much better about my seats now that I've seen where they are actually going to be.

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »
Something I noticed is that when images start projecting on the screen (Iris), the screen lowers a few feet. The only time the screen is at its highest level is when it's off, so for the first four songs and the last song. Otherwise, it's lower to the stage for the rest of the show. I noticed this from an obstructed view seat at an end zone, where I was able to see the whole stage fine for the first four songs, and then all of a sudden wasn't able to see Edge's side once the screen was on. So maybe it'll be low enough to where it shouldn't be a problem for those higher up. At least for those not at end zone seats; that's a different story  :P

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:27:36 PM »
Something I noticed is that when images start projecting on the screen (Iris), the screen lowers a few feet. The only time the screen is at its highest level is when it's off, so for the first four songs and the last song. Otherwise, it's lower to the stage for the rest of the show. I noticed this from an obstructed view seat at an end zone, where I was able to see the whole stage fine for the first four songs, and then all of a sudden wasn't able to see Edge's side once the screen was on. So maybe it'll be low enough to where it shouldn't be a problem for those higher up. At least for those not at end zone seats; that's a different story  :P

Thank you for the details.  That helps a lot.

Offline KimPopmart

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »
Has anyone been to their show yet?  I'd love to see some pictures of the view.  Also, when you go, if you anyone wants to run up to the last row and grab a picture, that would be awesome!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »

Here's a view from what seems to be about 6 rows from the very top.

Yikes, that's awful! Have those seats always been like that?