Author Topic: "Vertigo" is the absolute perfect concert opener...  (Read 1494 times)

Offline BonosTitaniumElbow

• Wanderer
"Vertigo" is the absolute perfect concert opener...
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
I was watching the Vertigo tour (I think) in Milan on YouTube, and the lads opened with the "Vertigo".

It was amazing how awesome this song is as an opener on multiple levels.... First off, you have the driving guitar that goes perfect with that initial "we're live!" thing that the stage lights always do right off the bat to start a concert - as as the drums and bass kick in and the crowd goes ape.

Then you have the "Hello, Hello....." parlaying between Bono and the crowd that can go on for a few extra verses, building the excitement.  As the camera panned over the young, attractive, and fit, tanned Italians, all you see are grins and passionate singing along with the song.  It's appropriate to have the initial words between the band and the crowd to be "Hello".  It's fun, it's cute.

Then you have the "uno, dos, tres.... catorce" which is Bono at his best - the wry "I'm so clever" lyric with his smug grin... the kind that he gave on the "Electrical Storm" video when he drops his "coffee's cold, but it'll getcha through" lyric the he thinks is Shakespeare caliber lyricism when really it's slightly above mediocre...

And finally, it's a crowd mover, the pace and volume of the song is a much better concert opener than anything in U2 history since perhaps "I Will Follow".  And to play them back to back - that would be amazing.  "Vertigo" is the last true worldwide smash hit that U2 has ever written (/ will ever write?).  To kick the concert off with their last commercial and critical triumph would be fitting.

Or they could keep starting with "The Miracle of Joey Ramone" and have 1/4 of the audience singing along.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:27:33 AM by BonosTitaniumElbow »

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: "Vertigo" is the absolute perfect concert opener...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
Vertigo was indeed an awesome opener... and closer! :) Happy memories...

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »
loved when they'd play it twice!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
o i hated them playing it twice that was cringe worthy

Streets is the perfect opener imo.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
For me, any high energy song from the latest album works fantastic as a concert opener. Vertigo fit this description and although I didn't go to any of that tour live, it did always seem like it worked well as an opener.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me, any high energy song from the latest album works fantastic as a concert opener. Vertigo fit this description and although I didn't go to any of that tour live, it did always seem like it worked well as an opener.

The opener doesn't appear to need any fixing. From reading reviews and watching YouTube clips, this appears to be one choice they got right.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 03:05:30 PM »
Great opener and an even better closer.

Offline BonosTitaniumElbow

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 03:49:04 PM »

The opener doesn't appear to need any fixing. From reading reviews and watching YouTube clips, this appears to be one choice they got right.

Has it gotten way better?  From every show I've seen Bono tries to get the crowd to sing the chant to "Joey Ramone" and it never really happens.  Seems like a dud to me, especially when compared to past openers like Elevation and Vertigo.

macfoley

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
Well while Vertigo was a good opener...

I think these are great openers.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »
Will reserve judgment a little until I have seen a show in the flesh. But there are some positive reviews suggesting this song works well live, even if it doesn't as studio recording. I have watched some clips where crowd participation seems good and you can see bono gloating like a fat cat that got the cream...
Personally I think it will probably work better than breathe. 

Never a massive fan of vertigo as the opener (cobl would have been a better choice in my opinion)= and pi**ed me off that they played it twice in one show... why any u2 fan would see that as anything other than a wasted opportunity to play another (better) song...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
Vertigo to me is a pretty sh**e song, very ordinary, a bit big, dumb and stupid and pretty uninspired stuff.

Always felt a bit flat live as well due to bono being unable to hit the biggest notes
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:58:18 PM by an tha »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 04:58:20 PM »
my GOD i had no idea LAPOE opened alot of Vertigo shows. WOW. thats embarassing.

and COBL would have been a much better encore opener

macfoley

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
o i hated them playing it twice that was cringe worthy

Streets is the perfect opener imo.

I kind of thought that at my Vertigo show. I thought it was a nice touch to their sets when they play songs twice, but in a stadium and other songs to have played, Vertigo?

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »

Good to compare all of those. The streets opener seemed to benefit from a very young audience... energy levels in that crowd have not been seen since...
Zoo station still the clear winner, probably followed by pop Mart... just much more interesting to see. The elevation and vertigo approach of count to 4 and all in just doesn't seem that exciting to me. The miracle is a hybrid opener, with some build, and then the band all drop in.

macfoley

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 05:16:48 PM »

Good to compare all of those. The streets opener seemed to benefit from a very young audience... energy levels in that crowd have not been seen since...
Zoo station still the clear winner, probably followed by pop Mart... just much more interesting to see. The elevation and vertigo approach of count to 4 and all in just doesn't seem that exciting to me. The miracle is a hybrid opener, with some build, and then the band all drop in.

My first U2 tour was Zoo TV, and I was just totally blown away with the size of it all. The screens, the interference, the sound. That bass drum just went right through my stomach. It was daylight when they came on too, so that was cool too. But it was just an incredible experience.

Missed Popmart, but that opening, U2 walking down the middle of the stadium, and the screen kicks into life the same time Edge plays that wild effect.

Elevation I thought was a good opener in the sense that they came on and played with the lights on. That was my 2nd U2 tour, and it was cool to see them playing Elevation, seeing the crowd bop up and down and when the lights went off, it was exciting to me. Plus it was a high energy, uplifting song too at the time when they played it.