Author Topic: "Vertigo" is the absolute perfect concert opener...  (Read 1516 times)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Re: "Vertigo" is the absolute perfect concert opener...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 05:22:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well while Vertigo was a good opener...

I think these are great openers.

Good to compare all of those. The streets opener seemed to benefit from a very young audience... energy levels in that crowd have not been seen since...
Zoo station still the clear winner, probably followed by pop Mart... just much more interesting to see. The elevation and vertigo approach of count to 4 and all in just doesn't seem that exciting to me. The miracle is a hybrid opener, with some build, and then the band all drop in.

My first U2 tour was Zoo TV, and I was just totally blown away with the size of it all. The screens, the interference, the sound. That bass drum just went right through my stomach. It was daylight when they came on too, so that was cool too. But it was just an incredible experience.

Missed Popmart, but that opening, U2 walking down the middle of the stadium, and the screen kicks into life the same time Edge plays that wild effect.

Elevation I thought was a good opener in the sense that they came on and played with the lights on. That was my 2nd U2 tour, and it was cool to see them playing Elevation, seeing the crowd bop up and down and when the lights went off, it was exciting to me. Plus it was a high energy, uplifting song too at the time when they played it.

Suppose it makes all the difference being there. Never actually saw ztv but I did see popMart and figured that would be the closest next best thing, and having seen 2 tours since,I still hold that thought.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
Mofo was pretty kick ass

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 06:09:36 PM »
Mofo was pretty kick ass

But you couldn't join in the oh-ohs with that.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »
I was very much opposed to them playing Vertigo twice in one show... until I was there, and it was PERFECT and I wouldn't have changed it for anything.

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »
And they used Arcade Fire's Wake Up to lead into it...

Man that tour was so fun. Great amount of old stuff (The Ocean, An Cat Dubh, Cry/Electric Co, freakin' Gloria!), a Zoo TV set, and weird stuff. Hell, they played The First Time a few times - would love to see that again.

And of course, they closed with 40 quite a bit.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 10:40:26 PM »
Ironically, I was just thinking about this and watching the Pop Musik/Mofo opening and thinking how unfair the criticism of Popmart was.  It was exactly what they meant it to be and was brilliant in execution for that purpose.  Least impressive to me was Elevation or Breathe.  Felt like it should have been Vertigo and Magnificent, respectively.

My favorite opening is still the "Slipping through the cracks" Zoo Station one:

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »
I watched the same concert at Milan last night. I think it does a good job as an opener, but The Miracle is so much better from what I've seen. Vertigo isn't a very good song (it's the lyrics I hate so much, and the riff isn't my favorite) but it is good to get the blood pumping. There weren't many other options on HTDAAB, though.