Author Topic: Sluggish ticket sales (are you kidding me )  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Bonoman77

• Wanderer
Sluggish ticket sales (are you kidding me )
« on: June 13, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Someone on this board said the i and e tour had sluggish ticket sales. Are they serious look on u2,s website every show is practically sold out and i live in ny there doing 8 sold out nights in msg and broke an online record of 120,000 trying to get tickets for the first 4 ny shows .Sluggish  get your facts strait.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Re: Sluggish ticket sales (are you kidding me )
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
Lolol well said

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Someone on this board said the i and e tour had sluggish ticket sales. Are they serious look on u2,s website every show is practically sold out and i live in ny there doing 8 sold out nights in msg and broke an online record of 120,000 trying to get tickets for the first 4 ny shows .Sluggish  get your facts strait.

While I understand your general point, it would actually help to have your facts straight before publishing a post like this.  For example, the NY shows are not sold out; there are tickets available for both of the last 2 shows there.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »
I came on board with U2 in 1996, I'm fairly certain since then the critics day every time, oh yeah, U2 they're done, they're old. 96, 19 years ago.

Offline jjack339

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »
Well, to be fair I was surprised to see tickets available for Chicago on the 29th of June, and July 2 still available. But ya almost every show is sold out. Particularly on the Coast (west and east) and Europe.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
It's also worth considering the research that went into deciding which cities got the tour and how many shows it would be hit with. The tour is visiting cities where the band have had strong sales historically so it's a somewhat safe tactic.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 05:20:57 AM »
The Tour is a huge success, no doubt about that. But the fact that it's not COMPLETELY sold out and it being "just" an arena tour might lead to U2 being very cautious before they launch a new stadium tour (next year, for example).

Do we know which tickets weren't sold out ? Was it the cheap tickets or the most expensive ones ?

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:53:30 AM »
The Tour is a huge success, no doubt about that. But the fact that it's not COMPLETELY sold out and it being "just" an arena tour might lead to U2 being very cautious before they launch a new stadium tour (next year, for example).

Do we know which tickets weren't sold out ? Was it the cheap tickets or the most expensive ones ?

It's mostly the high end tickets that are left, cheap stadium tickets might attract more people.

Offline jjack339

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:33 PM »
It's mostly the high end tickets that are left, cheap stadium tickets might attract more people.

That might be true in some cases, but I bought tickets for the Chicago show, almost all of the available seats are the cheapest.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 01:35:06 PM »
I think U2 has already decided to to a stadium tour. They have hinted at
One. They didn't take any support acts this time out, hinting that they might want to instead use them to help fill stadiums, and they have not booked Ireland yet. I think 2016 we might get a stadium tour

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 01:45:07 PM »
You can still get tickets for opening night in London, months after going on sale.

AXS.com the official o2 site, 6 tickets available now in a row together, not split odd seats but 6 together, block 111...total cost 1097 that is equal to 1700 USD so you can understand how expensive that is.... Serves them right if they can't sell them for charging at that price.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:47:30 PM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »

My experience of U2 stadium tours since Zoo TV is that prices are high, so I would not be too optimistic about U2 selling out stadiums if they tour at the prices they usually charge for an outdoor show.  Standing tickets in the stadium tend to be the cheapest but they're still far from what I'd define as "cheap".

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 03:28:03 PM »
I have not noticed any difference between stadium and arenas regarding prices on a U2 concert.... So far.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »
Not sure about Europe but in America it was easy to get the cheap tickets to 360 but not for I&E

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 06:40:07 PM »
I hope for God's sweet sake that they have a strategy in place to play 2nd-tier markets in the US if they do stadiums. Some places they play every tour (Giants Stadium NJ, etc) but maybe the thinking for (hopefully) cheaper seats in stadiums they'll play in places like Texas, Miami, Atlanta, DC? I don't know. One stadium show in each of these places. Don't know if it will translate to cheaper seats though.

I was talking to one of my co-workers the other day who took her daughter to see Ed Sheeran. $85 for nosebleeds, I asked what the first-tier seats were for, she didn't know. For *Sheeran*. God help us all.