Author Topic: Sluggish ticket sales (are you kidding me )  (Read 5238 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: Sluggish ticket sales (are you kidding me )
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 11:33:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope for God's sweet sake that they have a strategy in place to play 2nd-tier markets in the US if they do stadiums. Some places they play every tour (Giants Stadium NJ, etc) but maybe the thinking for (hopefully) cheaper seats in stadiums they'll play in places like Texas, Miami, Atlanta, DC? I don't know. One stadium show in each of these places. Don't know if it will translate to cheaper seats though.

I was talking to one of my co-workers the other day who took her daughter to see Ed Sheeran. $85 for nosebleeds, I asked what the first-tier seats were for, she didn't know. For *Sheeran*. God help us all.

I don't understand this post at all.

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 11:42:08 PM »

So the first 6 are sold out and two have tickets left. That's a 75% sell out. That's not sluggish.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:44:35 PM by shanep »

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »
It's also worth considering the research that went into deciding which cities got the tour and how many shows it would be hit with. The tour is visiting cities where the band have had strong sales historically so it's a somewhat safe tactic.

Not really. They could have easily sold out an arena show in nearby SLC and bypassed it.

hrsan

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 06:35:35 AM »
Considering it's an arena tour in limited markets and there are some tickets still available, it's sluggish for U2.

PatateTony35

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
Strange. None of the MTl show were sold out. But for months they said the first 2 were sold out, until of course they released extra ticket a week prior. But there were still quite some red section empty... Anyway those were 300$

Offline Pint of Guinness

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »
Well, at the second Denver show, they were able to close areas at each side of the arena and relocate ticket holders to other empty seats, so it wasn't sold out there.  And, they only played two shows total in the mile high city.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
IMO, the only cause for alarm at these prices and in this economy and without airplay would be if U2 couldn't sell out two arena shows in the markets they are playing. Denver probably would have been fine with just the one show, but if they had played two shows each in Boston, LA, NYC and Chicago, I cannot even imagine what the ticket demand and scalpers would be like.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well-attended 360 was in the US. If they come back to stadiums in the US next year, they might want to play smaller stadiums where they can. For example, Bobby Dodd in Atlanta rather than the Georgia Dome, Vandy (again) in Nashville rather than LP Field.

Big difference between 45,000 seats and 75,000 in the secondary markets. As far as LA, Boston, Chicago, etc., they'll sell those stadiums out for one or two nights.

PatateTony35

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 03:03:47 PM »
IMO, the only cause for alarm at these prices and in this economy and without airplay would be if U2 couldn't sell out two arena shows in the markets they are playing. Denver probably would have been fine with just the one show, but if they had played two shows each in Boston, LA, NYC and Chicago, I cannot even imagine what the ticket demand and scalpers would be like.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well-attended 360 was in the US. If they come back to stadiums in the US next year, they might want to play smaller stadiums where they can. For example, Bobby Dodd in Atlanta rather than the Georgia Dome, Vandy (again) in Nashville rather than LP Field.

Big difference between 45,000 seats and 75,000 in the secondary markets. As far as LA, Boston, Chicago, etc., they'll sell those stadiums out for one or two nights.

I still can't realize how 360 went viral. Here in Montreal they sold out 160,000 tickets for two nights, 4 years later they can't sold out 84,000 tickets for 4 shows - and this is including people who went to all 4 shows like me!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »

I still can't realize how 360 went viral. Here in Montreal they sold out 160,000 tickets for two nights, 4 years later they can't sold out 84,000 tickets for 4 shows - and this is including people who went to all 4 shows like me!

Strange, isn't it? 360 were the first stadium shows in the U.S. since PopMart -- which sold very poorly in some markets (Tampa and New Orleans were pretty bad, I heard) -- and they packed out everywhere behind an album that didn't do much at all.

The smallest venue they played on 360 was Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville. I think attendance was about 44,000. Packed. I mean, slammed.

I seriously doubt they could sell out the arena in Nashville -- which holds about 19,000, I think -- twice today. Once, no problem. Twice? I don't think so. Not unless they didn't play Atlanta, Charlotte, St. Louis or Cincinnati.

Offline jjack339

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 06:35:22 PM »
Strange, isn't it? 360 were the first stadium shows in the U.S. since PopMart -- which sold very poorly in some markets (Tampa and New Orleans were pretty bad, I heard) -- and they packed out everywhere behind an album that didn't do much at all.

The smallest venue they played on 360 was Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville. I think attendance was about 44,000. Packed. I mean, slammed.

I seriously doubt they could sell out the arena in Nashville -- which holds about 19,000, I think -- twice today. Once, no problem. Twice? I don't think so. Not unless they didn't play Atlanta, Charlotte, St. Louis or Cincinnati.

I honestly the spectacle of the claw mixed with the concept of a stadium tour (which are being more and more rare) is what caused people to flock to the shows. Oh ya, and U2 was and is still a pretty big deal.

Offline jjack339

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »
Only 4 of the remaining shows on the tour are not sold out. 2 of them are almost sold out. Last night in Chicago has a good amount of tickets left, and last night in NY has a decent amount.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »
Again, any "sluggishness" is reserved for the expensive $300+ seats.

That isn't concerning.

I would be concerned if they couldn't sell out the mid and lower price tier tickets. That would mean that U2 is fading out.

That didn't happen at all.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 09:38:24 AM »
Again, any "sluggishness" is reserved for the expensive $300+ seats.

That isn't concerning.

I would be concerned if they couldn't sell out the mid and lower price tier tickets. That would mean that U2 is fading out.

That didn't happen at all.

If they can't sell $85 GAs, they are in big trouble, and we are nowhere near that.

Plus, some of those unsold $300 seats were previously attached to larger travel packages.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
It  isn't concerning at all to me if men who are amongst the wealthiest musicians in the world haven't quite sold out some arenas.

I find it much more concerning that they are selling tickets to people that offer those people terrible views of the show.

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »
Someone on this board said the i and e tour had sluggish ticket sales. Are they serious look on u2,s website every show is practically sold out and i live in ny there doing 8 sold out nights in msg and broke an online record of 120,000 trying to get tickets for the first 4 ny shows .Sluggish  get your facts strait.
Ok so how many of those sold out shows have resold tickets waiting to be sold. I bet a lot of those tickets will get eaten, but they still count as being sold. In years past you couldn't get U2 Tickets an hour after they went on sale.