Author Topic: Lucifer's Hands -- how was the energy?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Lucifer's Hands -- how was the energy?
« on: June 16, 2015, 01:18:55 AM »
I admit, I've only watched the video, but is it me or is the performance lacking energy? They're just standing around. Compare that to how Stingray Guitar was performed. This felt like Las "we have tenure" Vegas. Anyone else slightly disappointed? To be honest, I felt that way about the album version of LH, they toned down the energy of Stingray a little too much. Contained might be a better word than toned down.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:28:05 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
Re: Lucifer's Hands -- how was the energy?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
It's hard to judge videos without the context. I was there and I thought it was great. It was right after the antics on stage by the woman streaming via meerkat and the guy that finished off Angel of Harlem on guitar. Everyone was kinda smiling and grinning around that point and I thought the vibe and energy was great.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:57:25 AM »
It's also the first time they played it live and probably had to concentrate a bit more then normal.

PatateTony35

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
The band had energy. But not the crowd.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »
I was there, close to the "e" stage when Bono said "we'll try something we never played before". My jaw just dropped.  :o

Maybe 5% of the crowd knew LH, so I'll give people a pass on this one.

Ultimately, it was just great to be there for a "world premiere"!

There's some good chances I'll make it to MTL4 tomorrow, hoping for Crystal Ballroom.  ;)

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »
GA near the E-stage had a lot of energy from my perspective. Then again, I was rather lost in the moment screaming and jumping around.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 03:04:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was there, close to the "e" stage when Bono said "we'll try something we never played before". My jaw just dropped.  :o

Maybe 5% of the crowd knew LH, so I'll give people a pass on this one.

Ultimately, it was just great to be there for a "world premiere"!

There's some good chances I'll make it to MTL4 tomorrow, hoping for Crystal Ballroom.  ;)

I would've said "5% supposedly knew" volcano too how the crowd reacted...I think there are people like myself who know but don't care enough

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 03:06:29 PM »
Looked pretty dead from the video, and we have to remember that when we get upset at the band for their 'safe' setlist choices. If it were me, I am picking Lucifer's Hands over Elevation every single time, but when you play the former and see people playing on their phones and then play the latter and see 17,000 people jumping up and down ... I am just saying, I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
In the video people aren't "playing on their phones", they're recording the performance.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »
I was there and it sounded really loud and clear. They attacked it and the live sampling worked well. All and all really good execution.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 03:32:46 PM »
Looked pretty dead from the video, and we have to remember that when we get upset at the band for their 'safe' setlist choices. If it were me, I am picking Lucifer's Hands over Elevation every single time, but when you play the former and see people playing on their phones and then play the latter and see 17,000 people jumping up and down ... I am just saying, I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

The obsession with recording on mobile phones is a huge factor in the diminishing atmosphere at gigs.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
At the point of no return an tha

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »
Like Bono said at Denver, and maybe other shows too, the concert is about surrendering, and it's hard to surrender with a cellphone in your hand.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
Like Bono said at Denver, and maybe other shows too, the concert is about surrendering, and it's hard to surrender with a cellphone in your hand.
Agree... But, then, I'm grateful for those clips when searching for video playlists the day after a concert, so...  :-\
I wish they would follow Grateful Dead protocol, and cordon off one section for audio recording. (Nearly impossible with so many cell phones, though)

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 07:59:57 PM »

I confess. I was on my phone. I tweeted this a few secs after they started Lucifer...  :P