Author Topic: U2 Montreal Rant!  (Read 3836 times)

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2 Montreal Rant!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd blame Ticketmasterbater (again) or where ever you purchased the tickets originally showing the stage seating chart. A lot of places, including LA where I was and where I thought I was sitting, they originally had the stage set up wrong during the original sales of tickets. I wasn't to happy either but they turned out ok as I was in an angle right behind the Edge and able to see the video screen. It's happened to other venues too. In LA by show 3 TM changed the seating chart to the correct way!!! In the middle of the tour!!! What a farce!!!! TM so blows.

Surely TM rely on the promoters and show organisers for things like which way the stage sits etc

Yes, they do and maps are not to be put up on their site unless approved by at least the venue.  We've been through this about 100 times already on here.  The map never really 'flipped', there just seem to be several people who assumed that the location of the Red Zone indicated the main stage, but in reality it was at the E stage.  I really do believe that was the original intent, but once the staging was setup in a real arena, they realized the RZ would not fit there so it was moved to the main stage area and the maps updated online to reflect this.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
I'd blame Ticketmasterbater (again) or where ever you purchased the tickets originally showing the stage seating chart. A lot of places, including LA where I was and where I thought I was sitting, they originally had the stage set up wrong during the original sales of tickets. I wasn't to happy either but they turned out ok as I was in an angle right behind the Edge and able to see the video screen. It's happened to other venues too. In LA by show 3 TM changed the seating chart to the correct way!!! In the middle of the tour!!! What a farce!!!! TM so blows.

Surely TM rely on the promoters and show organisers for things like which way the stage sits etc

Yes, they do and maps are not to be put up on their site unless approved by at least the venue.  We've been through this about 100 times already on here.  The map never really 'flipped', there just seem to be several people who assumed that the location of the Red Zone indicated the main stage, but in reality it was at the E stage.  I really do believe that was the original intent, but once the staging was setup in a real arena, they realized the RZ would not fit there so it was moved to the main stage area and the maps updated online to reflect this.

So badly planned and badly communicated, then.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »
I am glad you brought this up , I was at 3 shows in Montreal, although I had great seats in the lower reds middle section which were right in front of the screen for 2 nights and in the lower reds near the e stage night 3 . In order to see the screen you really had to be in the middle . Even from the end view I could not see the screen as well. They knew this when planning the design. Because the tour has just begun , I am sure there will be many complaints about this  as they continue the tour . I agree for those whose view is obstructed they should be refunded, or even better, given a better ticket for another date on the tour or the option  of  their money back . If those seats were the price I paid 300.00  x 3   and could not see anything , that's robbery.

Offline bullwinkle

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »
Ok after reading this thread I'm starting to get concerned for the upcoming Toronto show. My wife and I are going to see U2 for the first time and have seats in the lowers, row 18 directly behind the stage. I'm less concerned about sitting behind the band then I am having my view blocked by the screen. Will I still be able to see the performance at the other stage from where I'm sitting?

PatateTony35

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
Blame Tickmaster/evenko. Thank god when I bought tickets I was lucky, but their map was so confused. It looks like a 360* tour for arena!

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »
Blame Tickmaster/evenko. Thank god when I bought tickets I was lucky, but their map was so confused. It looks like a 360* tour for arena!

Yes, blame TM/Evenko and the band. I went to 3 Montreal shows in GA and it was amazing, I got to move all around the place, getting close to the e-stage when it mattered and going back at the hockey red-line to enjoy the screen, when good stuff was on it. Even went back to the front for the encore.

BUT, as I was doing that during the shows, I could not help feeling bad for all the people seated at the 2 ends of the Bell Center. How could they enjoy the show at all? Thay could not see a thing on the screen, plus said screen, when brought down, obstructed the view. They were totally ripped off when they made the purchase back in December.

I would make a formal complaint at evenko and ask for my money back. And if you're a Quebec resident and paid 600$ for a pair in that kind of section, go file a claim at small claims court.

I still have trouble figuring how the band approved such a set-up. Geez, forget the going into the screen crap, and use the technology available to have a lightweight 2 sided screen that can circle during the performance and tell the story you want to tell anyways.

To be honest, this I&E tour is an absolute gem for GA tickets, and also anyone with a good view of the screen. But for 30% of the crowd, it's crap.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »
I think there is blame to go around....

Willie, Gavin, etc. would have to know how the sight lines would work.
U2/Guy O. /Live Nation-once final design is approved, discussions on seating/prices would have to take place
Ticketmaster--having accurate seating charts and accurate information when buying tix is important (obstructed, behind stage, etc.)

I think the feedback in this forum might be kinda light because many in this forum might have GA's or lower bowl seats, but I feel bad for those in this situation.  The fact they relocated the Denver crowd shows they know it's an issue. 

Offline sledge2015

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 12:36:21 PM »
I remember hearing Bono say before the tour started that the idea was to symbolically split the crowd in half at the end of the first set.  It was supposed to be an artistic statement.  So they wanted to drop those huge a** screens down across the middle to separate the audience. It might have been an interesting concept from the mind of an artist, but poor planning for about the one third of the arena who can't see anything, screens or band.  My opinion is that this whole show was designed for the GA people.  The fans in the seats at either end of the arena should not have been charged nearly as much as they were.  Having said that, this is by far the best GA U2 experience I've ever had.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »
Having said that, this is by far the best GA U2 experience I've ever had.

Yes, totally agree. Amazing from almost anywhere on the GA floor. There's so much railing real-estate, that everybody can get close. The smiles I saw said it all.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
That is so true, It really was designed for the GA cheaper tickets , I paid 300.00 and was looking at the GA and thinking the same thing that they have a much better view .

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
That is so true, It really was designed for the GA cheaper tickets , I paid 300.00 and was looking at the GA and thinking the same thing that they have a much better view .
Forgot 300x 3 $ 900.00 for 3 nights plus expenses. 4 nights in GA $ 344.00 I was thinking that last night looking at them . They have the complete attention from the band , as close as anyone can get throughout the full show. I always wondered what it would be like and after the last 3 shows I realized I was paying for the set design with these expensive seats that are  so far away from the band and the GA tickets have the best access to the band visually up close and personal . I regret not buying GA tickets.

PatateTony35

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »

Yes, blame TM/Evenko and the band. I went to 3 Montreal shows in GA and it was amazing, I got to move all around the place, getting close to the e-stage when it mattered and going back at the hockey red-line to enjoy the screen, when good stuff was on it. Even went back to the front for the encore.

BUT, as I was doing that during the shows, I could not help feeling bad for all the people seated at the 2 ends of the Bell Center. How could they enjoy the show at all? Thay could not see a thing on the screen, plus said screen, when brought down, obstructed the view. They were totally ripped off when they made the purchase back in December.

I would make a formal complaint at evenko and ask for my money back. And if you're a Quebec resident and paid 600$ for a pair in that kind of section, go file a claim at small claims court.

I still have trouble figuring how the band approved such a set-up. Geez, forget the going into the screen crap, and use the technology available to have a lightweight 2 sided screen that can circle during the performance and tell the story you want to tell anyways.

To be honest, this I&E tour is an absolute gem for GA tickets, and also anyone with a good view of the screen. But for 30% of the crowd, it's crap.
well, the red zone at the end of the screen were 80$, with no mention of obstructed view. this was a lie. even though I bougt one for MTL 4, I didn't really mind since I had good view for the rest 3. For the withe/grey/blue, it is clearly written that your view will be partially obstructed, however I spend the MTL 3 in the white and I could see the screen and almost all the band (except adam, from times to times). Those were 40$.

So the real lie was for the red zone, but I knew something would be off since the *real* red were 300$ and mine only 80$

but hell yeah, the GA were awesome! I read some post here before the show saying the floor wasn't good for this show, but heck that was one special experience.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
For all who have Gained tickets for upcoming shows you will not be disappointed this tour was definitely made for those tickets. Enjoy your shows you won't be disappointed.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 05:23:47 PM »
For all who have Gained tickets for upcoming shows you will not be disappointed this tour was definitely made for those tickets. Enjoy your shows you won't be disappointed.
correction G.A. Tickets darn phone

Offline depmode101

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
Ok after reading this thread I'm starting to get concerned for the upcoming Toronto show. My wife and I are going to see U2 for the first time and have seats in the lowers, row 18 directly behind the stage. I'm less concerned about sitting behind the band then I am having my view blocked by the screen. Will I still be able to see the performance at the other stage from where I'm sitting?

If you are right behind the stage then you will be missing the long video screen.
The video screen moved up and down - so it's not going to block your view of the smaller stage. The problem is that the smaller stage is at the other end of the arena.
In Montreal night 3 I sat on the end by the smaller stage and then had a problem being able to see then band from that far away.

Personally I think you will be okay - most of the action is taking place on the larger stage.
It really is a great show and I'm actually liking the new album more after hearing it live.
I'm looking forward to my Toronto shows!