Author Topic: U2 Montreal Rant!  (Read 3824 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Re: U2 Montreal Rant!
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »
Mariamontreal - agreed this tour was made for GA. I have seats for some shows and now hope I can get a last minute GA drop for those and sell them or eat them. I've seen 1/6 shows in seats and while it was great to see the visuals, being this close to the band is surreal. Being able to walk around the arena and have multiple perspectives, fantastic. You can see the visuals if you go all the way back on the floor. Actually, seeing the wave in UTEOW from the mid back side near the e stage is very effective!!

GA is a party of appreciation and celebration!! So much fun!

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 11:06:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mariamontreal - agreed this tour was made for GA. I have seats for some shows and now hope I can get a last minute GA drop for those and sell them or eat them. I've seen 1/6 shows in seats and while it was great to see the visuals, being this close to the band is surreal. Being able to walk around the arena and have multiple perspectives, fantastic. You can see the visuals if you go all the way back on the floor. Actually, seeing the wave in UTEOW from the mid back side near the e stage is very effective!!

GA is a party of appreciation and celebration!! So much fun!

Welcome to the club Mom, I've been preaching this since The Outside Broadcast U2 in G.A. is the best possible experience I will NEVER go back to seats !

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »
Thank you, Parsons. ;) To clarify my post - of my 6 U2ieTour shows so far, I've seen 5 in GA and one in a seat. Going forward, I currently have 4 GAs and 4 seats. I'd like to make that all GA now! :D

A new friend I just met yesterday, from Copenhagen, had a $300 seat for closing night Montreal. She found me on the floor and told me she was able to sell it for $120 when she received access to a LAST MINUTE GA ticket for closing night. She was thrilled having seen them in GA on Saturday night!!

I wonder what GA in arenas is like? HOPE I get to find out soon!  :D

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 11:53:27 PM »
There was no 'switcheroo' of the stage. Anyone who says so is just plain wrong. The minor e-stage was always to be positioned near the end that has the RZ's on the TM map (although the RZ's have subsequently been moved). See the very detailed San Jose map, which has been available since day 1, for verification.

Although the stage wasn't flipped at the last minute, what has been lacking, is any form of communication. The TM maps just weren't good enough. Accurate maps should have been provided, & restricted view warnings should have been given to end of arena seats.

I actually really like the stage design. Everyone in GA gets a great view (except very short people, who will struggle to find a rail with good views), while the majority of seats have great views (seats at the sides of the arena have brilliant views of the band performing on the main I-stage, the catwalk & the e-stage, & great views of the screen). The percentage of seats in the arena with good views must be similar to a traditional end - of - stage setup. It's just those end of arena seats. The restricted views from these seats should have been communicated, & the number of cheap seats ($30 & $65) should have been raised, although this may have raised the prices of other seats, to keep the tour profitable.

For anyone worried about their end-of-arena seats, all I'd recommend is arriving early, checking your seat, & if you have a problem with the view, going to customer service & asking to be moved. Looks like quite a few people have had success with this approach, for a Denver show I think they moved EVERYONE from the arena ends.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »
I'd agree with Parsons, every tour is made for GA, the energy is unrivalled. I've had GA for all shows I've attended since ZooTV, with the exception of a sneaky trip from the floor to a $30 seat in the very back row of Vegas 360, for the encores. It was great to see the CLAW all lit up, bit I'm glad all my other experiences were in GA.

While I agree that GA is the place to be, for those that are unwilling or unable to stand for an entire show, I think this stage layout is brilliant for those in seats (with the exception of the end-of-arena seats), offering very close views of the band.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 12:28:45 AM »
Ok after reading this thread I'm starting to get concerned for the upcoming Toronto show. My wife and I are going to see U2 for the first time and have seats in the lowers, row 18 directly behind the stage. I'm less concerned about sitting behind the band then I am having my view blocked by the screen. Will I still be able to see the performance at the other stage from where I'm sitting?
As you are lower bowl, your views shouldn't be badly obstructed (although row 18 is quite high), like some people here. You'll have rear views of the band when they perform on the main I-stage. For the majority of the time the band spend at the other end of the arena, performing on the e-stage, your views should be ok, hopefully looking under the screen (which blocks views for those people above you in the upper bowl). You will have no views for the couple of songs when the screen is lowered. You will have no views of the screen at all times (just a small screen for the arena ends).

I'd recommend getting there early, checking your seat, going to customer service & asking to be moved. There will be spare seats for just such requests (but get there early as spare seats will be limited).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:34:00 AM by d.darroch »

PatateTony35

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 06:19:16 AM »
There was no 'switcheroo' of the stage. Anyone who says so is just plain wrong. The minor e-stage was always to be positioned near the end that has the RZ's on the TM map (although the RZ's have subsequently been moved). See the very detailed San Jose map, which has been available since day 1, for verification.

Although the stage wasn't flipped at the last minute, what has been lacking, is any form of communication. The TM maps just weren't good enough. Accurate maps should have been provided, & restricted view warnings should have been given to end of arena seats.

I actually really like the stage design. Everyone in GA gets a great view (except very short people, who will struggle to find a rail with good views), while the majority of seats have great views (seats at the sides of the arena have brilliant views of the band performing on the main I-stage, the catwalk & the e-stage, & great views of the screen). The percentage of seats in the arena with good views must be similar to a traditional end - of - stage setup. It's just those end of arena seats. The restricted views from these seats should have been communicated, & the number of cheap seats ($30 & $65) should have been raised, although this may have raised the prices of other seats, to keep the tour profitable.

For anyone worried about their end-of-arena seats, all I'd recommend is arriving early, checking your seat, & if you have a problem with the view, going to customer service & asking to be moved. Looks like quite a few people have had success with this approach, for a Denver show I think they moved EVERYONE from the arena ends.

for the short people there's still good empty space in the GA, they can just be at the back of the mass a little bit for a good view!

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 07:38:56 AM »
I've just seen the final seating plan for the O2 in London and have discovered that I have paid 200 for 2 tickets behind the stage with no view of the screen. Essentially I've been ripped off: no mention when purchasing that the seats were restricted view, and the first seating plan was extremely unclear. It's shocking how they can charge so much for crap views, they shouldn't be sold at all. Surely no other music tour in history has had so many restricted views and poor planning.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »

I've just seen the final seating plan for the O2 in London and have discovered that I have paid 200 for 2 tickets behind the stage with no view of the screen. Essentially I've been ripped off: no mention when purchasing that the seats were restricted view, and the first seating plan was extremely unclear. It's shocking how they can charge so much for crap views, they shouldn't be sold at all. Surely no other music tour in history has had so many restricted views and poor planning.

Where did you access it?

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »

Where did you access it?
When you choose your tickets on the AXS website, the map now shows the positions of the Red Zones and 2 stages.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »

Where did you access it?
When you choose your tickets on the AXS website, the map now shows the positions of the Red Zones and 2 stages.

Thanks!

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 01:25:38 PM »
I just read a letter from the promoter of Fare Thee Well tour and the promoter is guaranteeing show to folks who bought tickets that were changed do to creating more tickets. Some folks thought they were buying seats on floor which is now GA in back of Pit etc. He said in letter if you are disappointed with your seats or show they will refund you money in full after the show. Now that is unique in music business.

Bummer about the seating charts etc and wish that TM or Band would make it right for fans who didn't find what they were looking for as seating chart being flipped etc. I know some of the seats with obstructed view were priced cheaper but not sure it told u at time of purchase it was limited.

Anyone thought how this show would work in Stadium? Will they be able to pull it off if that is what they plan next year?

If they wanted to do it in a stadium everything would have to be proportionally bigger to make it work otherwise they risk having even more bad views.

They would also have to not sell the head on tickets and of course the sound system would need to be re-thought.

In my view they would be much better off in a stadium with a normal end stage (give up selling the seats behind, u2 you don't need the cash) with the screen behind them working it's magic, don't have it on for the first songs....they could still have the runway and b stage, just make the runway bigger and the b stage bigger. They could still go in the screen just enter it from the side.

For all the supposed 360 was in the round in a stadium it really wasn't a lot of the time, it was stuck at one end of the stadium like a normal show, yes people sat behind it but they didn't really play to those people that much.
i'm hoping for a potential rethink on the Glasgow shows, i've got 30 seats on the Friday head on over the E stage, given it's crescent set up at the hydro, i'm hoping that they maybe tweak the design. no seats behind the stage so could potentially utilise the video differently

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
I hear ya. I had a very similar experience for Vancouver 1. My friends and I were in a box in the end zone (E-Stage side) and once the screen came down after the first 4 songs we couldn't see anything. We couldn't see the band and we couldn't see the screen. It was ridiculous. You pay good money to see the band and we end up seeing nothing.

SOI was by far the worst U2 show I've seen (been to multiple shows each tour since Zoo TV) and was probably the most disappointing concert experience of my life and i've seen hundreds of shows. It left such a bad taste in my mouth (and friends) that 4 of us had planned on getting tickets from scalpers for night 2 and we decided to stay home, which is something I never ever would have thought I'd do: purposely skip a U2 show 10 minutes away from my house.
It's not the Imax,u are at a rock concert for Christ's sake it's the sounds that are supposed to connect anything else is wrapping paper,u don't go home humming the video or light show,u didn't go all the way to Vancouver to watch TV or did ya?

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »
I hear ya. I had a very similar experience for Vancouver 1. My friends and I were in a box in the end zone (E-Stage side) and once the screen came down after the first 4 songs we couldn't see anything. We couldn't see the band and we couldn't see the screen. It was ridiculous. You pay good money to see the band and we end up seeing nothing.

SOI was by far the worst U2 show I've seen (been to multiple shows each tour since Zoo TV) and was probably the most disappointing concert experience of my life and i've seen hundreds of shows. It left such a bad taste in my mouth (and friends) that 4 of us had planned on getting tickets from scalpers for night 2 and we decided to stay home, which is something I never ever would have thought I'd do: purposely skip a U2 show 10 minutes away from my house.
It's not the Imax,u are at a rock concert for Christ's sake it's the sounds that are supposed to connect anything else is wrapping paper,u don't go home humming the video or light show,u didn't go all the way to Vancouver to watch TV or did ya?
But being able to see the band and the show is part of the concert experience, if that's not important you might as well just pay 100 to sit in an arena listening to music out of the PA, or just buy a live album.