Author Topic: Have U2 become all about the money?  (Read 11868 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Have U2 become all about the money?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Maybe it's just me but no band (u2 or anybody) should be charging the thick end of 200 (maybe more I am not sure) for a 2 hour, 24 song show - and even have the neck to offer no support act/s.

It's quite simply an absolute liberty in my book.

I was very pleased to escape the support acts. To each their own.

If u2 played a longer set to compensate for the absence of support acts I would be more inclined to say fair enough, but a standard length show seems to be being played....less live music for your buck is never a good thing for me.

To each their own as you say.

I just took a look ob the TM site for tickets to the next show in Chicago just to see the pricing structure.....I went for best available got two in the basket and the price was $589.90!

No wonder they aren't sold out, that is $600 for two people to go to a gig, what is the average weekly wage in America?

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
I still haven't come down from the three shows in Montreal either, and yes the ages ranged from very young and older and everything in between. My opinion if you love something so much you will pay for it. I am by no means rich.the contrary, but for me the money was worth every penny to me because I love this band so much it is worth it to me. And they deliver 2 solid hours of great music and fun
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:03:14 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »
I still haven't come down from the three shows in Montreal either, and yes the ages ranged from very young and older and everything in between. My opinion if you love something so much you will pay for it. I am by no means rich.the contrary, but for me the money was worth every penny to me because I love this band so much it is worth it to me.

I'm thrilled that your still on a high from the show. But why is it that U2 can't be more fair with the ticket prices? Loving something and "paying" more money for it really have no correlation at all. Because their are plenty of people out there who may love the band but can't go to shows without shelling out $300 a ticket, and  they simply can't !! That's a shame when it really does't have to be that way!

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »
Maybe it's just me but no band (u2 or anybody) should be charging the thick end of 200 (maybe more I am not sure) for a 2 hour, 24 song show - and even have the neck to offer no support act/s.

If u2 played a longer set to compensate for the absence of support acts I would be more inclined to say fair enough, but a standard length show seems to be being played....less live music for your buck is never a good thing for me.

I just took a look ob the TM site for tickets to the next show in Chicago just to see the pricing structure.....I went for best available got two in the basket and the price was $589.90!

No wonder they aren't sold out, that is $600 for two people to go to a gig, what is the average weekly wage in America?

My GA tickets for Montreal were $84 each. Don't know what to tell you. I got plenty of bang for my buck, as we say on this side of the pond.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »

My GA tickets for Montreal were $84 each. Don't know what to tell you. I got plenty of bang for my buck, as we say on this side of the pond.

Now that I say is spectacular and reasonable!! But here in NY, the face value mark up is three times that amount!!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 03:24:44 PM »

You don't need to tell me anything.

I'm glad you got a ticket you feel offered value.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
I agree it is expensive 900.00 for three shows I don't like it either, it was that or not see them. It was a decision I had to make now I have to pay it off. But they are still worth it to me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:53:38 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
I was an active U2.com forum member at the time the Vertigo tour ticket sales went live. Putting aside the issues with paid up subscribers, the biggest problem was the scalpers who were able to get there hands on dozens of tickets and sell them at an inflated price due to the demand at the time.

It looks like the bean counters have seen how much these scalpers proffited from this and wanted in on it.

The result remains the same, overly inflated ticket prices that a handful of people are willing to pay through the nose for. Until a stand is made the ticket prices will continue to head upwards and upwards.

The number of unsold high end tickets suggests that U2s ticket selling ceiling has been exceeded this time.

The only one who has consistently lost out is the fan who earns an honest wage.

U2 are not the cause of this trend, merely part of the effect of the Internet scalper. Now the middle man has been cut out were left with the cold hard facts that our favourite musicians/sport teams are a business and we are merely customers.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
if they were all about the money, they'd go on the road at least every other year regardless of whether they had new music or not.

Also, they'd be carrying around the most bare-bones stage setup - something whose arena component could be taken down in an hour and whose stadium setup could be brought down and shipped out in less than half a day.

hrsan

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 10:09:24 AM »
if they were all about the money, they'd go on the road at least every other year regardless of whether they had new music or not.

Also, they'd be carrying around the most bare-bones stage setup - something whose arena component could be taken down in an hour and whose stadium setup could be brought down and shipped out in less than half a day.

Not necessarily.  Pearl Jam does that, but keep ticket prices quite reasonable.   

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 11:14:34 AM »
U2 are no more about the money than they were back in 1980. Its a business and like any business they are going to charge market value for whatever they are selling. Everyone here sales their house for market value why should U2 be any different?

Artist that charge less money for tickets do so because that is what they are worth in the market. All artist charge market value for tickets they are selling.

Ironically, this allegation is nothing new. There were some fans in 1992 that criticized the band for charging $30 dollars per ticket on ZOO TV.

As far as the house analogy, a house is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. So, you are correct. If U2 charges excessive ticket prices in the NYC market and and other markets and people will pay, then one would argue they are doing good business. The price to be paid (pun intended) though is the fan base that goes to the show. U2 will never attract the 20 something to their shows because they simply cannot afford to go. So, more "well established" older adults go and snooze through most of the show and/or U2 feel forced to play the greatest hits because if not, the majority will be disinterested. Peal jam, as an example are millionaires as well. All of their shows are a single very very affordable ticket price. Thus, they draw a very eclectic and age varied crowd which is consistently rocking at the shows!! So, if you want a bunch or button ups at your gigs who are there to say they were there, then surely follow U2's/Maddona's business model and watch people take selfies and video the entire concert long. If you want a real rock and roll crowd  full of all age ranges and walks of life who are in the "present tense" who never snooze through shows, follow Pearl Jams business model. By the way, there are countless other acts that follow the Peal Jam model and do plenty well financially.

Pearl Jam does the exact same thing as U2. They charge what they are worth in the market when it comes to tickets. Pearl Jam charge less because there is less demand to see Pearl Jam. Also, Pearl Jam's audience is not any more diverse than U2's. Slightly younger, but that is about it. Your average U2 fan is about age 45. Your average Pearl Jam fan is about age 40. There are people of all other ages at the shows, but that is generally the average. U2 audience is much larger than Pearl Jam's, especially when you leave North America and go worldwide.

Also, Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber have ticket prices that are higher than Pearl Jam's and much closer to U2's price levels. The fact that their fan base is much younger does not matter. Again, price is set by demand, not the age of the fans.

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »
I still haven't come down from the three shows in Montreal either, and yes the ages ranged from very young and older and everything in between. My opinion if you love something so much you will pay for it. I am by no means rich.the contrary, but for me the money was worth every penny to me because I love this band so much it is worth it to me.

I'm thrilled that your still on a high from the show. But why is it that U2 can't be more fair with the ticket prices? Loving something and "paying" more money for it really have no correlation at all. Because their are plenty of people out there who may love the band but can't go to shows without shelling out $300 a ticket, and  they simply can't !! That's a shame when it really does't have to be that way!

1. A minority of the tickets for U2 shows are sold at $300 dollars or higher

2. The majority of the tickets to U2 shows are sold at $95, $65, and $30 dollars list price before adding service charges.

3. Some U2 shows that have not soldout have still had $95 and $65 priced tickets available at show time. So there are indeed tickets available at the lower end for people who want to go to the show.

4. U2 is a business just like Pearl Jam is a business. Both bands charge what they are worth in the market. U2 is worth more in the market than Pearl Jam and charge more on average because of that.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 12:08:20 PM »

2. The majority of the tickets to U2 shows are sold at $95, $65, and $30 dollars list price before adding service charges.

3. Some U2 shows that have not soldout have still had $95 and $65 priced tickets available at show time. So there are indeed tickets available at the lower end for people who want to go to the show.

4. U2 is a business just like Pearl Jam is a business. Both bands charge what they are worth in the market. U2 is worth more in the market than Pearl Jam and charge more on average because of that.

Good points, my only challenge is on point 4. I don't see 300 tickets being representative of market value in the current climate. My fear is that the price is an attempt to dictate the market value by pricing out the common U2 fan in favor of a more corperate audience.

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »

Good points, my only challenge is on point 4. I don't see 300 tickets being representative of market value in the current climate. My fear is that the price is an attempt to dictate the market value by pricing out the common U2 fan in favor of a more corperate audience.

There are thousands of normal average U2 fans who actually prefer to purchase $300 dollar tickets. Why? First, these are fans that want a fixed, reserved seat. The best, fixed reserved seats that are the closest proximity to the stage are the $300 dollar tickets. So there are fans that will buy them. Many U2 fans own business's or sit at or near the top of the largest companies in the world. $300 dollars is the market value for a particular type of seat at a U2 concert. If that was not the case, no one would purchase these seats.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »

There are thousands of normal average U2 fans who actually prefer to purchase $300 dollar tickets. Why? First, these are fans that want a fixed, reserved seat. The best, fixed reserved seats that are the closest proximity to the stage are the $300 dollar tickets. So there are fans that will buy them. Many U2 fans own business's or sit at or near the top of the largest companies in the world. $300 dollars is the market value for a particular type of seat at a U2 concert. If that was not the case, no one would purchase these seats.

I'll have to respectfully disagree, I doubt very much that an average U2 fans preference would be to pay $300 dollars over a $60 ticket (which should also guarantee a reserved seat).
With regards to the comment that many U2 fans sit at the top of the largest companies in the world or own their own businesses, well I'll have to take your word on that but it most certainly doesn't justify pricing the average fan out of the market.