Author Topic: Have U2 become all about the money?  (Read 12123 times)

RedBullOverdose

Re: Have U2 become all about the money?
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
I think they're just trying to put on the best show they can right now and make the best music they can right now.  and to be fair SoI is one of their better albums

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"In any event, if I thought the difference between the band live in 1992 and today was night and day, I certainly would not bother seeing them so many times are paying increased prices. I don't see why anyone would bother with the band if they think they have decreased so dramatically in their performance capability. Why would anyone pay good money for what they regard as a substandard performance?"

Maybe because they are still my favorite band ever and I enjoy SOI?

Just 'cause they are my favorite band ever doesn't mean I unconditionally love every single thing they do. I'm objective and if I don't think they are as good live as they once were, I will say it. If I think some of the stuff they've done in the last decade is mediocre, I will say it. It's a U2 message board. I will also say that I do love some of their 2000's output (Mercy, In A Little While, Sleep Like a Baby, The Troubles, Kite)

If I thought it was a NIGHT and DAY difference, I would not be interested in going. Something tells me you really don't believe that the difference is that extreme.

For me it is. Once again, please take a listen to:

One - Tacoma - 92 - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One - Vancouver - 15 - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can anyone in their right mind say 2015 is even close to 1992?

They are different types of performances of the same song. In the 2015, the band plays a little slower and Bono is trying to get the crowd to sing along, but other than that the differences are minor until the end of the song. A night and day difference in quality it is not. There are people that would prefer the style of the 2015 version and don't need the ending of the 1992 version.

At this point it is pretty clear you will love absolutely every single thing that they do. U2 can do no wrong at all and every year is better then the last.

I love the band but have an objective opinion. There are ups and downs now, strikes and gutters, not everything is on a straight line up.

Be well, Be There

Not true, I thought Numb was a awful first single. The rest of Zooropa has grown on me over the years. POP is one of my lower ranked albums. The band were only half done in my opinion when they released it in that form. The 90s with the exception of Achtung Baby and ZOO TV were a down time for the band.

I do think the band is getting better and love their live performances. That's my opinion by the way. Any opinion is subjective, NOT objective. You can only be objective about things that are FACT. Beyond that, its subjective.

Yes I love the band. I suppose there are other bands I could slag off and say they or no longer this or that. But why? I'd rather spend time talking about something I enjoy and love rather than being critical of something I think is substandard.

But as Bono says, there are some people that love to talk sh** about anything and thanks to the internet, bathroom walls have never been cleaner.

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »
I think they're just trying to put on the best show they can right now and make the best music they can right now.  and to be fair SoI is one of their better albums

Yes.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
All about the money? Eh, no! Definitely not. if they were all about the money, they would never have taken four years away from touring to record an album only to give it away for free.

Yes, I know - U2 got paid - but not a lot, I'm sure....The $100 Million rumors are patently absurd, a more likely figure is $10-20 Million....which represents, for the three years they worked on the album, about the same amount as two nights on the 360 tour....

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2015, 10:38:56 PM »
They are not all about the money, but they sure do love money.  U2 has become big business, and they are in business now to not only make music, but to make big money.  Can't fault for them for that, because yay for capitalism, but it is a bummer to see them charging so much for tickets now.

Offline wildgirl

• Wanderer
« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2015, 06:53:23 AM »

Yeah, I think that about sums it up.

Offline Eno

• Wanderer
« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2015, 11:15:31 PM »
Maybe it's just me but no band (u2 or anybody) should be charging the thick end of 200 (maybe more I am not sure) for a 2 hour, 24 song show - and even have the neck to offer no support act/s.

It's quite simply an absolute liberty in my book.

I have no problem with paying to not see support act.

Offline Swimming Sorrows

• Stateless
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »
I never expect to see the energy at a show like when they were 20+ years younger. I was impressed at how committed they were at the show I attended vs. 360.

My first show was PopMart so I don't have the history some of you do to compare.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »
I don't even know how to really answer the question, but with a hypothetical back. Wouldn't you be interested in the money if you were in their shoes?  I mean, musicians do need to make a living.  That's not to say that U2 are scraping by, but more as just a general statement. A band like U2 making money sets an example and target for other musicians to get at and reach for. For every band like U2 there are 10's, 100's, maybe 1000's that would love to even reach half the status of U2.

As far as money clouding things or diminishing their passion, maybe, but not fully.  Money allows them to put out the crazy shows they put out there. It allowed them to create ZooTV, PopMart, 360, I+E, etc.  While U2 may not be the perfect live performers, they are as good as most rock bands can be. For all the elaborate sets, they don't hide behind the show.  Of course Bono's voice isn't what it used to be, but from my first Popmart show to now, I think it's better in many ways.

The final thing is that, I have a tough time thinking of many bands that have been around as long as U2 that were able to stay anywhere near the level they have over time.