Author Topic: Have U2 become all about the money?  (Read 12135 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Have U2 become all about the money?
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2015, 12:15:22 PM »
No way have they been averaging 35,000 a night in arenas.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Seems like this thread has evolved to focus just on the ticket prices again, but the OP question I think is a larger one.  'All about the money' has wider implications, for example the Apple release, the type of music the band are making, desire to be on the radio, risk taking (or aversion), etc etc.

I actually don't have too many problems with U2 as a business, including tour pricing.  What does irk me is the overly commercial stunts like the iTunes giveaway, and the incessant delays on every release as the band tries to get the formula exactly right for a big hits mega-album, which hasn't really worked since 2004. 

In the end, the business side should be in the background, not the foreground.  IMO.

Certainly. All the reasons you mentioned are why the band just doesn't resonate as much as they once did for me! Because the business is in the foreground, sadly it has negatively affected the music the most.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 12:25:06 PM »
Their desire to be huge to reach everyman was in many ways what made them so great, but they did it on their terms with music that was actually out of step with the mainstream but that became huge.

Since 2000 they have been chasing it but chasing it with music that is as middle of the road and blatantly aimed at the mainstream as there is....I never thought u2 would become a pop rock band but they are.

Their art has suffered most in the chase of the dollar and relevance.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »

Exactly. And even if they were getting 35,000 per show isn't it even more reason to charge less for tickets?? Of course it isn't because U2 is a wall street corporation and the more profit the better!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:29:34 PM by Mr. Red »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »
Let's say the average crowd for this tour is 18,000.

They could charge 50 for every ticket in the arena and gross 900,000 per show.

Add in merchandise and that figure grows to a million easily don't know if they are on a share of the bar take or not.. ... and surely that is enough money made even allowing for their costs.....

Offline Innocent Smith

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
Of course the bands view on money has changed. On Zoo TV they famously wouldn't increase ticket prices by $5 to ensure a profit. Now the top seats went for over $600 in Vancouver. A pretty clear change for anyone to see.

Those $600 seats come w/ many desirable perks, so it's not just a seat. The top seat, just a seat, are the $312 seats in the prime viewing zones.

That's true. However, the "prime viewing" zones have widened to the point that the term is almost meaningless. I paid $300 to view from the side. Did not know it at the time I bought. I am now hoping that the view will be in line with the center of the main stage vs being a bit behind the group.

hrsan

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
For the record, I don't think U2 is all about the money.  A show like 360 costs a lot to produce and to tour and I'm amazed that it is the highest grossing tour to date given the enormity of it.   A show like I&E is less to produce and playing multiple nights in select cities, prices are going to be subjected to the laws of supply and demand.   Then we get into the area of the merchandising, the "remastered" albums with bonus material, the fan club fee in order to buy tickets early, selling their music to Apple and let them do what they will with it, then making the business decision to relocate in order to reduce their tax bill.  If my 14 year-old-self saw honest and earnest Bono doing this, he may have gotten a bit disillusioned.  But older (and hopefully wiser) me sees that U2 is a business and always has been and is fine with it. 

I believe the promoter has a lot of say in which obstructed view seats go on sale.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:01:44 PM by hrsan »

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
Call me an over-simplifier, but I think that anyone who already has tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, and is still trying to make more, is greedy by definition (whether they're a rock singer or a CEO).

I just think it's in people's nature to work for their daily bread whether they be mega-rich or not.  Of course some people don't have any work in them. 

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »
U2 has always been smart about money but it has never been their primary motivator. Their primary motivation is relevance, always has been. U2 concert tickets are average compared to the industry......

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
U2 has always been smart about money but it has never been their primary motivator. Their primary motivation is relevance, always has been. U2 concert tickets are average compared to the industry......

I don't even know what relevance actually means, if anything, so it's interesting that you say it's the band's 'primary motivation' in doing anything.

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »
Maybe it's just me but no band (u2 or anybody) should be charging the thick end of 200 (maybe more I am not sure) for a 2 hour, 24 song show - and even have the neck to offer no support act/s.

It's quite simply an absolute liberty in my book.

It's a diabolical liberty.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »

So already having hundreds of mllions of dollars, and still trying to maximize profit by charging more than many of their fans can afford, is due to their quest for relevance?

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »

So already having hundreds of mllions of dollars, and still trying to maximize profit by charging more than many of their fans can afford, is due to their quest for relevance?

But don't forget they *might* be donating all that money to good causes. 

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »
Of course the bands view on money has changed. On Zoo TV they famously wouldn't increase ticket prices by $5 to ensure a profit. Now the top seats went for over $600 in Vancouver. A pretty clear change for anyone to see.

I've never heard that before at all. Do you have a link from an official source for that? Based on the cost of the ZOO TV tour, figures from Carter Alan's book and figures reported by USA TODAY, the band did indeed make a profit when cost are compared to the gross, despite claims to the contrary by band and management. There were all kinds of various ways U2 was making a profit in 1992, from album sales, various merchandise in addition to ticket sales. I can't find any point in U2's history where the band were not interested in making a profit or maximizing their profits. In fact, the only exception would be now with how they price General Admission tickets.
It was from Paul McGuinness in U2 by U2

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 08:55:34 PM »

Not even close. There's no arena in North America that holds even close to 35,000. The average attendance so far is probably around 17,000