Author Topic: Have U2 become all about the money?  (Read 12045 times)

hrsan

Have U2 become all about the money?
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:05:45 AM »
Your thoughts?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Have U2 become all about the money?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »
I wouldn't say all about but they are and have been for a very long time very fond of a pound.....

Their fondness for a pound has had a negative effect on their art in my view - that fondness for a pound has also seen them start to make poor decisions like the current show set up where they are charging huge sums of money for a 2 hour show with no support acts and people having to put up with terrible views and seemingly buying tickets with no idea what their seat was offering in terms of view.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:11:13 AM by an tha »

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 08:35:57 AM »
How U2 can justify the exorbitant ticket prices I will never know. I just saw (or will be seeing) three well established acts for under $85. The band has often talked about remaining relevant and trying to connect with younger fans!! What younger fan can afford these ticket prices without borrowing money from parents after just moving back into their parent's basement after graduating college?!!? Let alone, these prices are even unreal for some established adults.  U2 will justify this by passing off some BS that the best seats in the house (GA-according to them) are the cheapest. The reality is, the vast majority of those seats did not go for face value or were sold directly to the public but continue to be monopolized by the after market ticket sites.  I love the band but this is one reason why after 30+ years of following them, something remains missing for me. And such things I just can't seem to overlook or wrap my head around. 

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »
All about the money? I think they care about their status, popularity, legacy and relevance too. They are still full of desire.

And I do think they care about their music.

However, they seem to love large amounts of money.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How U2 can justify the exorbitant ticket prices I will never know. I just saw (or will be seeing) three well established acts for under $85.

Either I'm the luckiest guy in the world or I just know how to work the internet, but I bought killer, lower level seats for the opening night's show in Vancouver for $75 each, and I bought them several weeks after they went on sale.

In fact, I've never bothered to shell out the cash for their fan club membership, and I haven't missed a tour since Popmart.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »
By my experience so far, 3 cities, 6 shows in, NO! They are all about the fans. If that makes them money, and surely it does, then bring it on!!

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »
How U2 can justify the exorbitant ticket prices I will never know. I just saw (or will be seeing) three well established acts for under $85.

Either I'm the luckiest guy in the world or I just know how to work the internet, but I bought killer, lower level seats for the opening night's show in Vancouver for $75 each, and I bought them several weeks after they went on sale.

In fact, I've never bothered to shell out the cash for their fan club membership, and I haven't missed a tour since Popmart.

MSG level 100 and level 200 face value over $300 with fees. I have also been to every tour and have also opted out of the fan club after my Propaganda membership seniority was never honored and they left us for dust when they scraped the magazine!

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 12:44:23 PM »
U2 are no more about the money than they were back in 1980. Its a business and like any business they are going to charge market value for whatever they are selling. Everyone here sales their house for market value why should U2 be any different?

Artist that charge less money for tickets do so because that is what they are worth in the market. All artist charge market value for tickets they are selling.

Ironically, this allegation is nothing new. There were some fans in 1992 that criticized the band for charging $30 dollars per ticket on ZOO TV.

hrsan

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 01:01:16 PM »
Aside from ticket prices, there are the prices of merchandise, fan club membership prices, remastered cd packages and what not.   

I too have never paid for a fan club and I still managed to get good seats to the shows I've gone to.  To me, it's just adding $50 to the ticket price.

U2 is a business, they have employees that they have to pay. 

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
I want the Fan Club gifts, so that's another reason I do the membership.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »
U2 are no more about the money than they were back in 1980. Its a business and like any business they are going to charge market value for whatever they are selling. Everyone here sales their house for market value why should U2 be any different?

Artist that charge less money for tickets do so because that is what they are worth in the market. All artist charge market value for tickets they are selling.

Ironically, this allegation is nothing new. There were some fans in 1992 that criticized the band for charging $30 dollars per ticket on ZOO TV.

As far as the house analogy, a house is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. So, you are correct. If U2 charges excessive ticket prices in the NYC market and and other markets and people will pay, then one would argue they are doing good business. The price to be paid (pun intended) though is the fan base that goes to the show. U2 will never attract the 20 something to their shows because they simply cannot afford to go. So, more "well established" older adults go and snooze through most of the show and/or U2 feel forced to play the greatest hits because if not, the majority will be disinterested. Peal jam, as an example are millionaires as well. All of their shows are a single very very affordable ticket price. Thus, they draw a very eclectic and age varied crowd which is consistently rocking at the shows!! So, if you want a bunch or button ups at your gigs who are there to say they were there, then surely follow U2's/Maddona's business model and watch people take selfies and video the entire concert long. If you want a real rock and roll crowd  full of all age ranges and walks of life who are in the "present tense" who never snooze through shows, follow Pearl Jams business model. By the way, there are countless other acts that follow the Peal Jam model and do plenty well financially. 

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »

As far as the house analogy, a house is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. So, you are correct. If U2 charges excessive ticket prices in the NYC market and and other markets and people will pay, then one would argue they are doing good business. The price to be paid (pun intended) though is the fan base that goes to the show. U2 will never attract the 20 something to their shows because they simply cannot afford to go. So, more "well established" older adults go and snooze through most of the show and/or U2 feel forced to play the greatest hits because if not, the majority will be disinterested. Peal jam, as an example are millionaires as well. All of their shows are a single very very affordable ticket price. Thus, they draw a very eclectic and age varied crowd which is consistently rocking at the shows!! So, if you want a bunch or button ups at your gigs who are there to say they were there, then surely follow U2's/Maddona's business model and watch people take selfies and video the entire concert long. If you want a real rock and roll crowd  full of all age ranges and walks of life who are in the "present tense" who never snooze through shows, follow Pearl Jams business model. By the way, there are countless other acts that follow the Peal Jam model and do plenty well financially.

Interesting. Have you been to a U2 show lately? I have. I was in Montreal for nights three and four. And I promise you, I was surrounded by people of all ages, and no one was snoozing. Up until Tuesday night I hadn't seen U2 live in years. I've seen a lot of other bands in the interim, but no one, NO ONE, moves and works a crowd like U2 does. I still haven't really come down. Maybe I won't ever.

So, I mean, if the tickets are too expensive for you, that's fair enough. But please don't spread inaccuracies about what's happening in the audience. That's not fair at all. There's plenty of video out there if you want to see what's really happening.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »
Maybe it's just me but no band (u2 or anybody) should be charging the thick end of 200 (maybe more I am not sure) for a 2 hour, 24 song show - and even have the neck to offer no support act/s.

It's quite simply an absolute liberty in my book.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »
Maybe it's just me but no band (u2 or anybody) should be charging the thick end of 200 (maybe more I am not sure) for a 2 hour, 24 song show - and even have the neck to offer no support act/s.

It's quite simply an absolute liberty in my book.

I was very pleased to escape the support acts. To each their own.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »

Interesting. Have you been to a U2 show lately? I have. I was in Montreal for nights three and four. And I promise you, I was surrounded by people of all ages, and no one was snoozing. Up until Tuesday night I hadn't seen U2 live in years. I've seen a lot of other bands in the interim, but no one, NO ONE, moves and works a crowd like U2 does. I still haven't really come down. Maybe I won't ever.

So, I mean, if the tickets are too expensive for you, that's fair enough. But please don't spread inaccuracies about what's happening in the audience. That's not fair at all. There's plenty of video out there if you want to see what's really happening.

Yes I have been to the new tour. No the tickets aren't too expensive for me personally. Other bands absolutely "move and work" a crowd like U2 does. So, please refrain from telling me that I am spreading inaccuracies when you are able to make such grand statements yourself. And I don't count the token someone in their 40's bringing their 10 year old to a show because it's hip all age ranges. I think you may be missing my point. All of the video out there that you suggest I watch is one reason why some of the shows lack connectedness. I love the band, just don't always love the energy and the crowd that follow them to the shows for the reasons i suggested. Remember, if your on this board I assume your a pretty diehard fan like me. Point is, loads of button ups at the show are not.