Author Topic: Will U2 do another tour after this one or will this be the last?  (Read 4574 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: Will U2 do another tour after this one or will this be the last?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 06:22:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
R.E.M. never liked touring.  They didn't always tour on their albums.  I think Bono once said that U2 is a band that has to go out there and play when being compared to R.E.M.  I can't remember the exact quote, but I believe that was the context.

R.E.M. loved touring and functioned as a live act years before releasing their first album.  They toured very heavily throughout the 80s.  In the early 90s they decided to concentrate on recording for a few years (Out of time and Automatic weren't toured) but didn't they tour every album after that (with the exception of their final release)?  They clearly enjoyed it less after Bill Berry left the band in the mid-90s, however.  U2 seemed to be as focused on touring as ever with 360, and it'll be interesting to see if their hunger for live shows continues once this arena run is over.

The Jackal

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
I work for the money. They just live their jobs more, but they still work for the money.

You mean to say that if you won $10 Million on the lotto you wouldn't still go in to work so as not to let the team down?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »
If I won $10million I'd just put it with the other $500million I have in my money swimming pool

The Jackal

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »
If I won $10million I'd just put it with the other $500million I have in my money swimming pool

Well at least you won't drown in debt.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »
They'll keep going as long as they feel fit enough.  The Rolling Stones have, it's just that they pace themselves more these days.  Their current tour has been running since 2012.

I get cranky when bands are accused of doing things just for money. The Stones are the exception. They are still doing this for the money. I have heard too many other artists who actually know Mick and Keith say the same thing. David Gilmour said those two crave money they way most people crave sex. They will never have enough, and Keith will keep going, he says, as long as Charlie Watts is around. Mick? Mick will go the KISS route and have guys out there dressed as Keith and Charlie as long as he can stand up and move. :)

Total cash cows. Vegas Show. Might as well be on ice skates at this point. U2 won't do that. If they are still interested in the art at age 80, they'll be out there. The day they aren't, it's over. And it should be. See R.E.M.

Some people are delusional.  They all do it for the money.  If U2 weren't doing it for the money then why don't they do a breakeven tour and offer much lower ticket prices to their fans?  Why get into bed with a multi-national like LiveNation?  Prices on U2 tours are getting higher for the large majority of fans if anything.  And we all know how much U2 admire the Stones. 

Never said U2 weren't enjoying money. I said there was more to it than JUST money. The Stones at this point care about as much about art as Gene Simmons. World's most expensive jukebox.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 08:07:14 PM »
R.E.M. never liked touring.  They didn't always tour on their albums.  I think Bono once said that U2 is a band that has to go out there and play when being compared to R.E.M.  I can't remember the exact quote, but I believe that was the context.

R.E.M. loved touring and functioned as a live act years before releasing their first album.  They toured very heavily throughout the 80s.  In the early 90s they decided to concentrate on recording for a few years (Out of time and Automatic weren't toured) but didn't they tour every album after that (with the exception of their final release)?  They clearly enjoyed it less after Bill Berry left the band in the mid-90s, however.  U2 seemed to be as focused on touring as ever with 360, and it'll be interesting to see if their hunger for live shows continues once this arena run is over.

R.E.M. only played a handful of promo shows after 'Reveal' in 2001, but yes, they toured the others up until their final release. R.E.M.'s history with touring is often misrepresented because they didn't tour behind their two big 90s smashes, 'Out Of Time' and 'Automatic For The People.'

They also didn't tour after 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' but that album was recorded while on the road anyway and released as a coda to 'Monster.'

And let me say, on their final tour, R.E.M.'s setlists were a wild west show. You had no idea what was coming next. 80 percent of their catalog could have come out at any moment.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 06:16:35 AM »

R.E.M. only played a handful of promo shows after 'Reveal' in 2001, but yes, they toured the others up until their final release. R.E.M.'s history with touring is often misrepresented because they didn't tour behind their two big 90s smashes, 'Out Of Time' and 'Automatic For The People.'

They also didn't tour after 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' but that album was recorded while on the road anyway and released as a coda to 'Monster.'

And let me say, on their final tour, R.E.M.'s setlists were a wild west show. You had no idea what was coming next. 80 percent of their catalog could have come out at any moment.

The final R.E.M. tour was great, IMO.  I regret not going to it but could only get hold of a seated ticket and don't like watching any stadium show in a seat - you're just too far away to feel involved.  The versions of "Let Me In" and "Ignoreland" were fantastic, and overall the shows I've heard recordings of were great.

That said, I think R.E.M. were more comfortable playing smaller venues.  The shows I saw in the 80s were brilliant and the band clearly enjoyed themselves.  I am not sure they ever felt as comfortable as U2 moving into stadiums. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »

The final R.E.M. tour was great, IMO.  I regret not going to it but could only get hold of a seated ticket and don't like watching any stadium show in a seat - you're just too far away to feel involved.  The versions of "Let Me In" and "Ignoreland" were fantastic, and overall the shows I've heard recordings of were great.

That said, I think R.E.M. were more comfortable playing smaller venues.  The shows I saw in the 80s were brilliant and the band clearly enjoyed themselves.  I am not sure they ever felt as comfortable as U2 moving into stadiums. 

I think their last tour was almost exclusively an amphitheater tour, at least in the US. I saw them at Lakewood in Atlanta -- their final show on US soil -- and it was amazing. We were in the 4th row thanks to their fan club ticketing.  They played a TON of songs from the IRS years.

I saw them four times, and all were in smaller venues after Bill Berry retired. Two in Atlanta amphitheaters, one in Birmingham and the Ryman in Nashville.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »

I think their last tour was almost exclusively an amphitheater tour, at least in the US. I saw them at Lakewood in Atlanta -- their final show on US soil -- and it was amazing. We were in the 4th row thanks to their fan club ticketing.  They played a TON of songs from the IRS years.

I saw them four times, and all were in smaller venues after Bill Berry retired. Two in Atlanta amphitheaters, one in Birmingham and the Ryman in Nashville.

You were lucky, in Europe the shows were outdoor affairs.  Would've been great to see them from the 4th row - last time I saw them that close was the Green Tour.  I had to queue for hours to get those tickets but it was worth it.

The Jackal

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »
They'll keep going as long as they feel fit enough.  The Rolling Stones have, it's just that they pace themselves more these days.  Their current tour has been running since 2012.

I get cranky when bands are accused of doing things just for money. The Stones are the exception. They are still doing this for the money. I have heard too many other artists who actually know Mick and Keith say the same thing. David Gilmour said those two crave money they way most people crave sex. They will never have enough, and Keith will keep going, he says, as long as Charlie Watts is around. Mick? Mick will go the KISS route and have guys out there dressed as Keith and Charlie as long as he can stand up and move. :)

Total cash cows. Vegas Show. Might as well be on ice skates at this point. U2 won't do that. If they are still interested in the art at age 80, they'll be out there. The day they aren't, it's over. And it should be. See R.E.M.

Some people are delusional.  They all do it for the money.  If U2 weren't doing it for the money then why don't they do a breakeven tour and offer much lower ticket prices to their fans?  Why get into bed with a multi-national like LiveNation?  Prices on U2 tours are getting higher for the large majority of fans if anything.  And we all know how much U2 admire the Stones. 

Never said U2 weren't enjoying money. I said there was more to it than JUST money. The Stones at this point care about as much about art as Gene Simmons. World's most expensive jukebox.

Most workers would say that there's more to their work than just the money.  The Stones included.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »

Most workers would say that there's more to their work than just the money.  The Stones included.

They would; I am just calling BS on the Stones. It's just my opinion.

Offline badu2fan

• Babyface
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »

I saw REM last 4 tours in Raleigh even took a photo with Bill Berry with them that was used in Spin Magazine. Thanks to their fan club I was in the 10th 3rd 2nd 1st rows and tickets were less then $75. REM was never in it for the money IMO>Their fan club was $10 for many years. It is a bummer they retired but feel they went out the right way with no last tour to cash out etc. I still pray they will get back together shortly and that their absence with parlay into folks realizing they are missing one of the best live acts. Stipe was able to grab the audience and hold them hostage for 2 hours. Even got to meet them at an after party.
They were laid back and Raleigh was their second hometown saw Berry 2 times with them there. It was the first area to embrace REM when they left Georgia in a van playing clubs etc.