Author Topic: The Edge, wired vs wireless guitar  (Read 2157 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
The Edge, wired vs wireless guitar
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:28:20 AM »
Ok all you guitar experts out there, having been to the show and many more over the years, it seemed to me on this go around, The Edge was using more hard wired guitars then wireless.  I happened to sit on his side of the main stage this time so could see the equipment exchanges pretty well between he and Dallas. 

Is the argument for using wired vs wireless that same as the preference between digital music reproduction (CD etc) vs analog (vinyl album) or are there deeper thoughts behind Edges and other guitar players reasoning?

Waffles

Re: The Edge, wired vs wireless guitar
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
You could say the argument is similar. There will always be a loss of sound going with a wireless sound. It's just the way music is. The signal going direct (wire) is always going to be clearest and best. Edge prefers to be wired because he can recognize the loss in sound, while the audience may not notice. Last tour, the stage was huge and the band had to move around a lot. This, there was a much greater need for wireless. This tour, not so much, smaller stage, the band stays back at the i stage while Bono goes to the e... When he can, he will prefer to be plugged in. Analog over digital always. The sound will be so much more there

Edgedisciple

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:32:08 PM »
I confirm what Waffles has already said. Wireless always means a certain signal loss (the tone might lose clarity and gain). How much noticeable it may be, it depends on various factors, we all know that Edge has the most sensitive ears when it comes to guitar tone. However, whenever possible, having the guitar plugged with a wire is preferable.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 03:11:36 AM »
In a live setting you won't notice the difference. Don't lose sleep about it...

Waffles

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
Only edge... Only edge. He bring 40+ guitars and the second twenty are the same as the first. The only reason is because he has to have fresh strings/and backups for each songs, otherwise, he claims to hear a bad difference in sound with 5 minute old strings. Only the edge...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »
I've never got the whole new strings every day thing. I much prefer strings on my guitar that have been played in for a few days