Author Topic: Favorite Venue or City  (Read 668 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Favorite Venue or City
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »
I have not been nearly as fortunate as others to have seen the boys dozens of times, but I have had the privilege to see them each tour starting with Joshua tree.  This covers 3 different cities and 5 different venues.  Pick your favorite city or venue that you have seen the band over the years and rank the shows in that city or venue.  For me, Montreal beats out the other two cities overall, although my favorite show is still Zoo TV Outside Broadcast at Saratoga Race Track.

In Montreal ranking in order best to least:
360 - Hippodrome 7/8/11
Vertigo -  Bell Centre 11/28/05
Joshua Tree - Big O 10/1/87 (My first U2 live show)
I & E - Bell Centre 6/12/15
Pop Mart - Big O 11/2/97
Elevation - Molson Centre (Now Bell Centre) 5/28/01

Had to split a lot of hairs to come up with this ranking as there really weren't any bad shows, but what makes the Elevation rank last is Bono lost his voice about 2-3 songs in (partially why he sings the Help snippet if you were there and then the crowd really kicks in the rest of the show to help out) we were directly behind the stage, great view for most of it, but sound was horrible.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
Re: Favorite Venue or City
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 04:47:09 AM »
Montreal has always been known to be a great city for bands especially U2. I have seen many U2 shows in other cities and Montreal always comes out on top. I am not saying that because I come from Montreal it is a fact. I do believe the shows in New York could be the best shows on this tour. Bono's accident happened in New York and with the great help from the  fireman who arrived on the scene to the great doctors and medical team who took care of him he will be especially grateful to New York city which I would be to. So I think those shows will be special to the band when they roll into town next month. I wish I could go,but I can't afford it. I am sure they will make a d.v.d of those shows and not to mention all the celebrities who will be attending. The New York shows in my mind will be the oneshe I would love to see.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »
I've seen them in a few places including Dublin, but Cardiff is the one that stands out, even on the Vertigo tour supporting a record I don't like.

Maybe it's something to do with they don't get the big shows as often as other cities, the venue whether it was the old Arms Park like in 93 or the rebuilt Millennium, it's just a good place, with a great crowd and those gigs are gigs I enjoyed, even the 360 show I saw was the best of the 3 I saw on a tour I didn't enjoy much.

Zooropa show was incredible.

Offline DanielCT

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 06:09:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have not been nearly as fortunate as others to have seen the boys dozens of times, but I have had the privilege to see them each tour starting with Joshua tree.  This covers 3 different cities and 5 different venues.  Pick your favorite city or venue that you have seen the band over the years and rank the shows in that city or venue.  For me, Montreal beats out the other two cities overall, although my favorite show is still Zoo TV Outside Broadcast at Saratoga Race Track.

360 - Hippodrome 7/8/11
Pop Mart - Big O 11/2/97

Had to split a lot of hairs to come up with this ranking as there really weren't any bad shows, but what makes the Elevation rank last is Bono lost his voice about 2-3 songs in (partially why he sings the Help snippet if you were there and then the crowd really kicks in the rest of the show to help out) we were directly behind the stage, great view for most of it, but sound was horrible.

The Saratoga Springs track has to be my favorite as well. It's only a couple of miles from where I grew up, and had been there many times before to watch the horses run. The family of my friend that I went with owned a couple of horses that ran there so we hung out by the stables beforehand and then cut through there after the show to get out. I can remember the day or day before the show the local paper, The Saratogian, had a special U2 edition out with a nice 4 page or so insert about the band. So many great memories attached to that show.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:20:19 AM »
I really loved the Perth shows on 360.perhaps like an tha said re Cardiff, they don't get a lot of tours - let alone u2 tours.

Perth is the world's most isolated capital city. It's serious distance for bands to travel. At 360, it was warm (32C), a week before Xmas and the crowd were up for it.

Really enjoyed Perth.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 11:52:19 AM »

360 - Hippodrome 7/8/11
Pop Mart - Big O 11/2/97

Cool, I was there with you for a few of those  :)

For the list, I will add 2 key Montreal concerts, which are:

#1 Zoo TV (Forum, 23/3/1992) 10 AB songs. Nothing to add.
#2 UF Tour (Forum, 27/3/1985) My fisrt U2 show, changed me forever.
#3 I+E (3 shows attended) Great overall experience. The GA is amazing this tour.
#4 360

For the rest I mostly agree with you and I would throw Zoo TV Outside Broadcast at the Big O just above PopMart.

The Jackal

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
I really loved the Perth shows on 360.perhaps like an tha said re Cardiff, they don't get a lot of tours - let alone u2 tours.

Perth is the world's most isolated capital city. It's serious distance for bands to travel. At 360, it was warm (32C), a week before Xmas and the crowd were up for it.

Really enjoyed Perth.

I'm sure it beats Detroit in the winter or Manchester in the summer.