Poll

Are the setlists getting more criticism than they deserve?

Yes, it's a mix of new songs, hits and a few surprises the set is fine
46 (66.7%)
No, it's a mix of new songs, too many hits and very few surprises
23 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Are the setlists getting more criticism than they deserve?  (Read 5298 times)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
Re: Are the setlists getting more criticism than they deserve?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »
I am sure they have some surprises coming in the upcoming shows the tour has only just begun I am positive things will take a turn on the setlists. I guess everyone will have to wait and see.

Offline Perico

• Stateless
  • Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
Comparison to ZooTv and Popmart are not fair. Yes, the setlists were pretty much as static as in this tour, but back then there was no youtube, no twitter, no social media, so to the vast majority of the attendance, everything was a surprise. Clearly nowadays isn't anything like that.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
Eh I wouldn't say it's very very adventurous. they're ignoring 4 albums entirely.

meximofo

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 07:17:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Comparison to ZooTv and Popmart are not fair. Yes, the setlists were pretty much as static as in this tour, but back then there was no youtube, no twitter, no social media, so to the vast majority of the attendance, everything was a surprise. Clearly nowadays isn't anything like that.
Well, in that case, it's our fault to be bored with the setlist if we use youtube, twitter, social media, etc. to follow each minute of the tour. Besides, it's just a setlist. If I look at all the War setlists and then look at the Red Rocks setlist, I could say "meh, same setlist for the entire leg". What's important is your experience live.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »
Well, in that case, it's our fault to be bored with the setlist if we use youtube, twitter, social media, etc. to follow each minute of the tour. Besides, it's just a setlist. If I look at all the War setlists and then look at the Red Rocks setlist, I could say "meh, same setlist for the entire leg". What's important is your experience live.
Truth

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 10:28:27 PM »
I think it's fair that the band has faced criticism after backtracking on the option of 2 unique shows, after tickets had already gone on sale.

Do I want 2 unique shows? It would be nice, but I'm happy with the 1 show concept, with a few more changes. Why rehearse so many songs if you're only going to make a few changes each night. I'd also like to hear all the new songs, not in one night, but in each city.

I'm happy with the first set to remain quite static, as this part of the show has been well received. Though I'd rotate the opener, between Miracle & TIWYCRMN (& possibly Volcano). Although it's been well received this tour I'd rotate Vertigo (also possibly with Volcano). I'd continue to rotate OOC , but add other old favourites with a lot of energy to this slot, & the IWF slot (like Two Hearts, Seconds, A Day Without Me, I Threw a Brick, 11 O'clock,  Electric Co. etc), not all of them, but plenty to choose from). Mofo before Iris on occasions would be nice.

The second set hasn't been so well received. Invisible doesn't look like it's going down that we'll, so I'd rotate the opener (possibly between Invisible & TCB). I don't expect a show of rarities, that wouldn't be popular with the casuals (the majority of the crowd). But there's so many warhorses, they can be rotated, all fans would be happy with this. That screen was made for The Fly! I'd like to see it rotated with EBTTRT. Not a fan of MW, rotate it with another warhorse. Continue mixing up the e-stage set, looks like fun. BTBS is going down well, looks rejuvenated, but it still could be rotated with another warhorse. I'd rotate Pride with NYD. I don't like One as a closer, I'd rotate it in the Beautiful Day slot (I think out of BD, One & Vertigo, 2 should be played each night, to keep the casuals happy, with 1 having a rest). Loving hearing Bad, keep playing it on occasions (20-25% of the time). Streets every night, of course, I'd continue to rotate it between late in the main set & in the encore. But it needs a good segue, not a Bono speech. How about RTSS or AIWIY? I'd like to hear The Troubles every night, rotate it with WOWY.

Not enjoying the encore much. Continue with Streets every second night. Add some fan favourites, like Gone, maybe Kite in there somewhere. But I'm not enjoying the closer at all. I'd try The Troubles here, & rotate it with Love is Blindness & 40.

Specific enough? Sorry for the long post. In summary, I'd mainly mix up the warhorses, & try out the SoI songs that haven't been played.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:53:45 PM by d.darroch »

Waffles

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »
In all honesty, it's prefectly mixed. They could change out more songs to spice things up and really give a different second half. I'd like vertigo to be switched for another hit. But the mix is even. Just need to switch out raririties for other rarities and hits for other hits here and there, which in sure we will see in europe

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 10:51:08 PM »
In all honesty, it's prefectly mixed. They could change out more songs to spice things up and really give a different second half. I'd like vertigo to be switched for another hit. But the mix is even. Just need to switch out raririties for other rarities and hits for other hits here and there, which in sure we will see in europe
This

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
I get the feeling when Europe starts cranking into high gear the setlist police are gonna go nuts.

PatateTony35

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
I don't get why people are hatin' on a show they didn't even attend. Seriously this forum is so much packed with people complaining about everything U2 does if I was them I would be done with this band. Of course we don't have to like everything U2 have done, but at some point it's just ridiculous to spend all days complaining abour f*cking EVERYTHING related to this band. I'm done with this forum. See you.

hrsan

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 12:48:15 PM »
I don't get why people are hatin' on a show they didn't even attend. Seriously this forum is so much packed with people complaining about everything U2 does if I was them I would be done with this band. Of course we don't have to like everything U2 have done, but at some point it's just ridiculous to spend all days complaining abour f*cking EVERYTHING related to this band. I'm done with this forum. See you.

We may all complain, but that's because we love U2 so much!

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »
I've been going to U2 shows for 14 years. The set lists I've seen look like the best I'll ever get a chance to see.

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
I hope Invisible gets jibbed by the time they come back home, along with some of the 00 tracks, hopefully replaced by pop and Zooropa songs.

Well said, invisible I could live without, and Mysterious ways! I'd be made up with please / staring at the sun / god will send his angels any of those instead of some of the E stage stuff (stuck / elevation / Ordinary love), to be fair though elevation is usually well received.

Aside from that i'm pretty happy with the mix.

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 01:48:58 PM »
I think it's fair that the band has faced criticism after backtracking on the option of 2 unique shows, after tickets had already gone on sale.

Do I want 2 unique shows? It would be nice, but I'm happy with the 1 show concept, with a few more changes. Why rehearse so many songs if you're only going to make a few changes each night. I'd also like to hear all the new songs, not in one night, but in each city.

I'm happy with the first set to remain quite static, as this part of the show has been well received. Though I'd rotate the opener, between Miracle & TIWYCRMN (& possibly Volcano). Although it's been well received this tour is rotate Vertigo (also possibly with Volcano). I'd continue to rotate OOC , but add other old favourites with a lot of energy to this slot, & the IWF slot (like Two Hearts, Seconds, A Day Without Me, I Threw a Brick, 11 O'clock,  Electric Co. etc), not all of them, but plenty to choose from).

The second set hasn't been so well received. Invisible doesn't look like it's going down that we'll, so I'd rotate the opener (possibly between Invisible & TCB). I don't expect a show of rarities, that wouldn't be popular with the casuals (the majority of the crowd). But there's so many warhorses, they can be rotated, all fans would be happy with this. That screen was made for The Fly! I'd like to see it rotated with EBTTRT. Not a fan of MW, rotate it with another warhorse. Continue mixing up the e-stage set, looks like fun. BTBS is going down well, looks rejuvenated, but it still could be rotated with another warhorse. I'd rotate Pride with NYD. I don't like One as a closer, I'd rotate it in the Beautiful Day slot (I think out of BD, One & Vertigo, 2 should be played each night, to keep the casuals happy, with 1 having a rest). Loving hearing Bad, keep playing it on occasions (20-25% of the time). Streets every night, of course, I'd continue to rotate it between late in the main set & in the encore. But it needs a good segue, not a Bono speech. How about RTSS or AIWIY? I'd like to hear The Troubles every night, rotate it with WOWY.

Not enjoying the encore much. Continue with Streets every second night. Add some fan favourites, like Gone, maybe Kite in there somewhere. But I'm not enjoying the closer at all. I'd try The Troubles here, & rotate it with Love is Blindness & 40.

Specific enough? Sorry for the long post. In summary, I'd mainly mix up the warhorses, & try out the SoI songs that haven't been played.

Great post...ahhh The Fly that would be stunning! BTBS looks a monster on this tour as well!

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »
New songs aside do you think U2 are playing songs that are easier to play....by that I mean songs they have played pretty regularly down the years/most simple arrangements or songs they are well practiced in...

Look at the last show in Montreal for example:
Out of Control
Vertigo
I will follow
Sunday bloody sunday
Until the end of the world
Even better
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Stuck in a moment
Bullet the blue sky
Pride
With or without you
Beautiful Day
City of Blinding Lights
Streets

That's the list of songs played minus the new ones.

That is very, very unadventurous in my view.

It takes a lot more effort to learn to play songs live for the first time or the first time in decades, or to 'reload' songs with totally new arrangements and styling.  I suspect laziness does play a very real factor in their song selection.  (And it's not just a question of Bono not being able to hit the high notes anymore.  Phil Collins has been singing Genesis songs in a lower register for years.)