Poll

Are the setlists getting more criticism than they deserve?

Yes, it's a mix of new songs, hits and a few surprises the set is fine
46 (66.7%)
No, it's a mix of new songs, too many hits and very few surprises
23 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Are the setlists getting more criticism than they deserve?  (Read 5357 times)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
Re: Are the setlists getting more criticism than they deserve?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
I am positive the setlist will change dramatically starting tonight in Chicago we got the warm up songs in Montreal Lol..I bet they will start to play  other songs and mix them up

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »
I am loving the amount of new songs, but lamenting the lack of any major surprises from the back catalogue. There have been no Zooropas, Scarlets, or Ultra Violets on this tour. The only old songs that aren't warhorses being dusted off are Miracle Drug (ew), When Love Comes To Town (double ew) and The Electric Co (last seen on Vertigo).

I am so utterly sick of Pride, Bullet and UTEOTW, and it annoyed me having to sit through reeeeeeeally long performances of those songs both nights in Montreal.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »
i love that WLCTT and Desire <the REAL version> are being played. Those are the only surprises i'm looking forward to.

Offline jeremyb

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 02:38:32 PM »
I really wish Edge would start playing the slide guitar part in MW again. Was always my favourite song in the ZooTV set.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
My disappointment is 2 fold. Multiple shows in smaller venues. This should be the recipie for much more varied set lists. Suppose there's still time.

Offline bigjohn3574

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 07:14:44 AM »
I keep saying give it time however I will be very interested to see how Chicago goes. Lets see if they do something besides Out of Control in the 2nd spot then three or four changes in the 2nd set (Desire/Angel/One/Troubles)

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 07:37:01 AM »
I feel it really is not so much about the set list stagnation for me. That I can semi deal with. What's impossible for me to swallow is the horrendous choice of the back catalogue tunes that absolutely kills it for me. Like someone mentioned earlier, Pride, WOWY, UTEOTW, BTBS are just completely dead and tired. When love comes to town?? Please. Just God awful. But, because they are scared to upset the high paying casual fans, they have to play the most recognizable tunes. Even "streets" which can arguably be the greatest live song ever has lost it's luster. It's for this reason that I have significant reduced the number of shows attended. Shame because going to a U2 show used to be a spiritual experience for me. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:41:15 AM by Mr. Red »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
Positives:
1. Lots of new songs
2. Good selection of hits for casuals

Negative:
1. Only one, but it is important: Where are the goodies for long-time fans? I count one, the Electric Co./OOC slot. 360 gave us UnFire, UV, Zooropa, HMTM, YBR, Electrical Storm, new unheard songs and Miss Sarajevo. We got 2-3 of those a night and it changed from leg to leg. Where are those songs?

Imagine the set if you dropped one of the M-Ways/Real Thing and one of the Angel/Desire songs and added in Wire or Gone or Please or One Tree Hill or Dirty Day. The set looks VERY different with just two war horses going out and two for die-hards coming in.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 05:52:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I keep saying give it time however I will be very interested to see how Chicago goes. Lets see if they do something besides Out of Control in the 2nd spot then three or four changes in the 2nd set (Desire/Angel/One/Troubles)

You say you keep saying give it more time, but didn't you say in another thread you sold some of your tickets because of the setlist?

Offline andyc2111

• Babyface
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »
wow - I purposefully kept away from looking at Montreal 3 and 4, and Chicago 1 and 2 until now hoping that I'd come to find some surprises and variation. I think it's now safe to say that this is the way the tour will go. Completely unforgivable not giving diehards some highlights like someone said about 360.

Offline bigjohn3574

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »

You say you keep saying give it more time, but didn't you say in another thread you sold some of your tickets because of the setlist?

I did however I will be in NYC for business the week of the shows and was really hoping to hit an additional night with the thought of a little variety. Only thing I was wrong about was missing Bad in the main set...Bad job my them in my opinion...But again, thats just my two cents

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »
I just saw Chicago 2 last night, and had completely avoided spoilers about the setlist.  Other than seeing the piece on Sunday Morning with the stage, I didn't know much what to expect.

I don't care as much these days about setlist variety from night to night, because at the cost of tickets (and my ever-waning interest), one show is all I'm bothering to see.

As such, the new material actually worked pretty well.  I thought the first half of the set was strong, giving a remarkably personal impression of Bono's younger days.  It was almost Young Bono: The Musical.  But the second half really started to lose me--greatest hit after greatest hit, none of them meaning close to what they used to.  There were definite highlights: UTEOTW and Bullet were great, and Pride was done better than it had been in decades.  But after hearing Out of Control as the second song, there simply were no surprises other than maybe the snippet of MoS--which, surprisingly, I really enjoyed.  (NLOTH is still my least favorite album of theirs.)  And similar to my one and only 360 show, the 90's U2 was extremely limited: just 3 songs from AB, one of which Bono barely sang at all.  And the Wanderer as the "intermission" track was really weird--I was excited at first that they were actually playing it, and then disappointed that it was just the recording.  Why not actually work that track into the actual set, and have Bono sing it?  It just seemed to be for a quick wardrobe change.  It just seemed there were steps taken for the "show" side that unfortunately impacted the "music" side.  Reworking SBS so that Larry could come out from behind the kit was interesting visually, but completely removed the song's driving kick drum.

I had theorized awhile back that you basically had 3 contingents of fans to cater to: casual fans who like the hits, fans of the newest album, and die-hards who want rarities.  This show took care of the first two.  As such, I'm forced to consider that this may, in fact, be my last U2 show, and that it's not a terrible thing.  I saw Rush a couple weeks ago, who seemed to juggle the hits/rarities with aplomb, though they also weren't supporting an album--it was a truly retrospective tour.  I might wish U2 would do something similar, but hey, you can't have everything.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 11:21:38 AM »
And the Wanderer as the "intermission" track was really weird--I was excited at first that they were actually playing it, and then disappointed that it was just the recording.  Why not actually work that track into the actual set, and have Bono sing it?  It just seemed to be for a quick wardrobe change.  It just seemed there were steps taken for the "show" side that unfortunately impacted the "music" side. 

They should axe Invisible and actually do The Wanderer into EBTTRT.

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »
I don't get why people are hatin' on a show they didn't even attend. Seriously this forum is so much packed with people complaining about everything U2 does if I was them I would be done with this band. Of course we don't have to like everything U2 have done, but at some point it's just ridiculous to spend all days complaining abour f*cking EVERYTHING related to this band. I'm done with this forum. See you.

We may all complain, but that's because we love U2 so much!

Yeeeahhhh...with fans like these, who need enemies!  Seriously, I was a little taken aback when I read Bono say something in an interview about hoping to get some new fans. I was mildly offended, being an old fan from the early eighties, but now, having spent some months on this forum, I can totally see why.  So much entitlement and nitpicking. 

They are playing shows to audience made up of people who are  probably going to one show only and don't have time to listen to bootlegs, videos and periscopes from that past 40 years, so those songs don't seem stale.  I've been to 'only' 8 U2 shows since 1985, about once a tour.   

I think if I were in the band, I would value a brand new SoI fan just as much as an old fan, and in some respects, maybe even more.

PatateTony35, I feel ya. I suspect fans like you and me get tired of this never-ending parade of negative threads and go somewhere else, and that's why the negative tone of this forum is self-perpetuating. 

Offline threechords

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »
I feel it really is not so much about the set list stagnation for me. That I can semi deal with. What's impossible for me to swallow is the horrendous choice of the back catalogue tunes that absolutely kills it for me. Like someone mentioned earlier, Pride, WOWY, UTEOTW, BTBS are just completely dead and tired. When love comes to town?? Please. Just God awful. But, because they are scared to upset the high paying casual fans, they have to play the most recognizable tunes. Even "streets" which can arguably be the greatest live song ever has lost it's luster. It's for this reason that I have significant reduced the number of shows attended. Shame because going to a U2 show used to be a spiritual experience for me.

This and more this.  I sold Chicago 1 before and now thinking of selling Chicago 4.  I don't need to see the same stuff when the current stuff is not epic like shows used to be.

Great post.