Author Topic: Does anybody get tired of all the Snippets?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline CalebChaos

• Babyface
Does anybody get tired of all the Snippets?
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
I don't mind one or two in a setlist during the 360 tour they seemed to be at an all time hig.. At any rate does anybody feel they over do it a bit with doing the cover snippets?

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Does anybody get tired of all the Snippets?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:50:22 AM »
Yes and I like how its noted like the played that song when its really one or two lines.

meximofo

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »
Absolutely not, the more the merrier. I can't imagine Exit without Van Morrison's Gloria or Electric Co. without Send In The Clowns, just to mention two.

patternshirt170

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
Makes reading the setlist a bit annoying too on first scan. I'd really only count them in the list if the band actually goes into the chords of a given song and for a decent amunt of time, other than that it's just brief lines sung over the existing track. The funny thing is they regularly played an obvious instrumental section of Simple Minds 'I Travel' during the breakdown in Mofo on POPMART yet it's not mentioned on any of the U2 Setlist sites or SetlistFM.

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:16:23 AM »
It seems a bit forced. Some of them naturally work (i.e., V.M.'s Gloria in Exit, Ruby Tuesday/Sympathy in Bad), but it seems like they are throwing them in where they don't belong.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »
It never bothered me, although some go together well. Like Stand by Me and I Still Haven't Found.

My favorite this tour is Bad/Moment of Surrender. It sounds so chilling when Bono sings the lyrics to that at the end of Bad.

hrsan

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
How about snippets of songs they already played?

meximofo

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
They even had snippeted pieces of novels (On The Road), Yeats poems, etc.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »
Not at all, keeps old songs interesting. Imagine if you heard Bad without a single snippet.

macfoley

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
People questioning the setlists, people questioning Bono not singing the songs properly, now people questioning the snippets.

What is next in the pipeline? Should U2 even bother playing live ever again for their fans to enjoy or not?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:37:34 PM by macfoley »

hrsan

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
People questioning the setlists, people questioning Bono not singing the songs properly, now people questioning the snippets.

What is next in the pipeline? Should U2 even bother playing live ever again for their fans to enjoy or not?

The purpose of questions is to spark debate.  A lot of the questions ask is not necessarily the viewpoint of the OP, but rather to start a conversation. 

One of the things I like about this forum is that there are differing viewpoints from people from different walks of life who all have one thing in common, their love of U2. 

macfoley

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 01:05:12 PM »

The purpose of questions is to spark debate.  A lot of the questions ask is not necessarily the viewpoint of the OP, but rather to start a conversation. 

One of the things I like about this forum is that there are differing viewpoints from people from different walks of life who all have one thing in common, their love of U2. 

Yeah I can see the point in it. Why do these questions never pop up when there is no tour though?

U2 have always put in snippets in their live sets. Going back to their early days. Not much different now in my opinion.

hrsan

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 01:10:56 PM »

Yeah I can see the point in it. Why do these questions never pop up when there is no tour though?

U2 have always put in snippets in their live sets. Going back to their early days. Not much different now in my opinion.

They do, but during a tour, the board becomes all about the tour.  It's the new and exciting thing to talk about.

To me, the snippets are what makes a U2 show a U2 show.  It's what they do.  I do question playing a snippet of a song they played earlier. Not a fan of redundancy.  Like playing Vertigo twice.  They could have put another song in that slot. 

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »
I am totally uninterested in Bono's spoken 'snippets', so much so that I wouldn't even recognise them - unlike the people who compile setlists on various sites.  Someone like Prince snippets other songs properly - musically and vocally.

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 03:01:51 PM »
Bono is the king of snippets. Absolutely not keep them coming.