Author Topic: Dos I+E Have The Worst Encore of Any U2 Tour?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Dos I+E Have The Worst Encore of Any U2 Tour?
« on: June 25, 2015, 05:51:26 AM »
Is anyone else completely let down by the encore on this tour? Not a single new song in the encore plus the bizarre ending song choices in ISHF and One. I found for both concerts in Montreal that the encore really tainted how I felt about the concerts.

What do you all think? Compared to the encores on other tours, how do you think this measures up?

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Dos I+E Have The Worst Encore of Any U2 Tour?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:22:05 AM »
I still haven't seen it but I hate I still haven't found as the closer. And much prefer One in its zoo TV spot, ie early, over late.

So at least on exposed for via the interwebz, I'm with you droo.

hrsan

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:33:27 AM »
The Troubles would have made a great closer.    40 is always a great closer but having ISHFWILF or One as the closer is a bit baffling.   

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »
Yep, I agree that the closers suck, I've never been a fan of ISHFWILF. I don't mind One, I tire of it a bit, but expected it to be played for the casuals (was very unexpected that it misses shows). But I don't want it as a closer. I heard they want feel good songs to close with, but wish they'd try The Troubles for a closing spot, & rotate it with Love is Blindness (& occasionally 40).

I'm happy to see Streets in the encore occasionally, just to mix it up. I really liked most of the encore for 360 (though not a fan of Moment of Surrender). Loved the laser suit, steering wheel mic & especially Ultraviolet & HMTMKMKM, highlight of the shows for me. Wish they'd pick a song to start the encore that the hardcore fans enjoy (like Ultraviolet), maybe Gone. Then a song the casuals also enjoy next (like WOWY on 360), I don't know, maybe The Fly (& Streets on Occasions), then the closers I listed above.

Offline jeremyb

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:39:53 AM »
Yep, something new would work far better as a closer. Moment Of Surrender was awesome as a final song in 360. The current set closer panders way too much to the casual fans.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »
Horrible closing set. Between that and the worn out and tired non SOI songs in the set list, what was once a spiritual experience at a show for me has turned into seeing a decent broadway show done by good live musicians that I grew up my whole life listening too. 

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »
No and I feel they have never had a bad encore.

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 08:17:32 AM »
I love City of Blinding Lights opening the encore and 40 closing. Streets just seems to be in an awkward place...

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 08:27:49 AM »
It's time for Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, Alternate Version to close the show.

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
I think it's up there as one of their worst.

I saw both ISHFWILF and One as closers and I prefer ISHFWILF. One was just...bland and mostly a bad audience sing along (not enough people knew the lyrics).

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 09:14:42 AM »
I agree, it looks bad on paper. 40 at the end would really, REALLY go a long way.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »
I also don't think it helps that CoBL tends to be sung very poorly live. The bridge is often painful to listen to.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I also don't think it helps that CoBL tends to be sung very poorly live. The bridge is often painful to listen to.

I'd much rather have gotten Miracle Drug myself.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
I don't really get this at all. It's ultimately one of their best songs from the 00s, probably their best live song ever and then another of their best songs ever. I agree that both of the latter make poor closers, but cumulatively while it's not particularly exciting, it's a very strong encore. (It's also not One's first time out as a closer, a role it played for some of the PopMart Tour which, like thi one, never really found a consistent closer that the band liked )

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
I was at 3 Montreal concerts and got ISHFWILF, One and 40.

40 was the best, no doubt. It's the classic closer for U2, with Adam and Edge switching and all.

But ISHFWILF was a better closer than One, althought I don't think both are "closers" per se. Heck, Walk On was a better closer on the Elevation Tour.