Author Topic: Dos I+E Have The Worst Encore of Any U2 Tour?  (Read 2366 times)

Waffles

Re: Dos I+E Have The Worst Encore of Any U2 Tour?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
I find WOWY awkward after the troubles. Troubles needs to close the set and then 40 for the encore

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Both ultimately better than moment of surrender. I've not been to the show yet, but can't see this being anything but fuss over nothing..

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 12:07:17 PM »
I think the goal is to do a song where everyone know the words. The communal sing-along to end the storyline of this show. What else would accomplish that?

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Who cares what closes the shows and what starts them. I'd be there to listen to 23-24 songs and I don't really care what order they're played in. I'd be more concerned about WHICH songs they are playing, rather than in any particular order they're being played in.

And to answer the question, yes, it is a poor encore.

The Jackal

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 03:57:51 PM »
An encore should be only one song in my opinion, and that shouldn't be guaranteed every night. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 09:39:44 AM »
If they asked me, if the new album has an obvious closer that leaves whatever vibe they want to close the show, use that.

If not, use 40. 40 should be the default closer unless something else fits better thematically. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »
The no-encore, encore! Not definitive but because of residency shows it might work out OK.

Offline crazygojiU2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 11:46:47 AM »
The encore worked very well last night.  Bono letting the crowd sing One was a great way to end the show.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »
Love is Blindness and Moment of Surrender were great "new song for the time" closers.  But One and Haven't Found--songs I absolutely love--are just not great singalongs. 

For old songs, I agree with prior posters that "40" is best.  The second LA concert I was at half the crowd was still chanting "How Long" after Larry had walked down the ramp and the rest of the band had been gone for five minutes.  Still get chills thinking about it.  Best concern I ever saw. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »
I liked the first half of the show, as it was very thematic.  The second half kind of lost me--I understood the "experience" angle, and there was the obvious American/political leanings, but it never quite seemed to tie back to the first half.  In some ways, I think it would have been nice had they found a way to tie it back to that.

I suppose in hindsight that both One and ISHFWILF do serve as a sort of underline to the innocence/experience evolution in terms of theme, but it's not terribly apparent at first, and they're both decades old.  The Troubles might have worked if the "innocence" theme could somehow be returned to at the end.  Actually, now that I think of it, I think Song for Someone could work really well as a show closer.  Tie it back to Bono and Ali's relationship, maybe throw in Sweetest Thing as part of the encore, and close with that.  Not bad for a brainstorm, anyway.  It would make it a very personal show all around, but maybe that's what's called for in touring this album.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 02:03:10 PM »
ya it sucks. ISFH is NOT a closer, i'd rather OOC be the closer or 40. I'm sick of Wowy/One closing the show. so far im thinkin 360 is trouncing this tour, as least as far as my anticipation of going is.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ya it sucks. ISFH is NOT a closer, i'd rather OOC be the closer or 40. I'm sick of Wowy/One closing the show. so far im thinkin 360 is trouncing this tour, as least as far as my anticipation of going is.

Don't get discouraged.  The huge hollow screen section is amazing and better than anything that's come before.  You'll love it.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »
Gee whiz man. Do people really care about all of this "theme" crap??!! I mean c'mon this doesn't have to be Phantom of The Opera. Just play great tunes (less worn to death songs) and everyone will love the show. I mean I didn't walk out of the show saying "I'm so touched with this whole innocence and experience thing...I'm a changed man forever, thank god!" I walked out saying "well executed show, band sounds tight, really enjoyed the new tunes live, didn't get me groove on as much as previous tours, and let me throw up hearing BTBS, MW, ISHFWILF, etc. AGAIN!!"

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »
Gee whiz man. Do people really care about all of this "theme" crap??!! I mean c'mon this doesn't have to be Phantom of The Opera. Just play great tunes (less worn to death songs) and everyone will love the show. I mean I didn't walk out of the show saying "I'm so touched with this whole innocence and experience thing...I'm a changed man forever, thank god!" I walked out saying "well executed show, band sounds tight, really enjoyed the new tunes live, didn't get me groove on as much as previous tours, and let me throw up hearing BTBS, MW, ISHFWILF, etc. AGAIN!!"

Well, the band bothers with it.  So I'd say someone--if even just the band--cares.  It doesn't require you to, or make those that do somehow wrong.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »

Well, the band bothers with it.  So I'd say someone--if even just the band--cares.  It doesn't require you to, or make those that do somehow wrong.

I wasn't suggesting any of that brother!! I love that people follow the theme and love the theatre of it. But does to really matter? Do they need that to support the songs?? My point was the broadway production locks them into the same script each night and creates too much stagnation especially with their choice of worn to death "classics" which are tired. I mean seriously, other than Pride being reborn a bit, the others are lackluster at best.