Author Topic: Dos I+E Have The Worst Encore of Any U2 Tour?  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Dos I+E Have The Worst Encore of Any U2 Tour?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Gee whiz man. Do people really care about all of this "theme" crap??!! I mean c'mon this doesn't have to be Phantom of The Opera. Just play great tunes (less worn to death songs) and everyone will love the show. I mean I didn't walk out of the show saying "I'm so touched with this whole innocence and experience thing...I'm a changed man forever, thank god!" I walked out saying "well executed show, band sounds tight, really enjoyed the new tunes live, didn't get me groove on as much as previous tours, and let me throw up hearing BTBS, MW, ISHFWILF, etc. AGAIN!!"

Well, the band bothers with it.  So I'd say someone--if even just the band--cares.  It doesn't require you to, or make those that do somehow wrong.

I wasn't suggesting any of that brother!! I love that people follow the theme and love the theatre of it. But does to really matter? Do they need that to support the songs?? My point was the broadway production locks them into the same script each night and creates too much stagnation especially with their choice of worn to death "classics" which are tired. I mean seriously, other than Pride being reborn a bit, the others are lackluster at best.

That's fair--there are plenty of old songs I think I could happily never hear again--though I'm not sure the show production is to blame for that.  The band themselves determine what to play, and the songs' success hinges largely just on their performance.  I'm not sure why Pride suddenly works after just kind of marking time for so many years--sudden topical relevance, maybe?--but it would be nice to have that spirit back in the old hits if they're determined to keep playing them.  (Although I thought Bullet was pretty great, and UTEOTW the highlight of the show.)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »
Pride doesn't suddenly work again for me. Those eight minute long performances of it during Montreal 1 and 2 were excruciating to me.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »
Gee whiz man. Do people really care about all of this "theme" crap??!! I mean c'mon this doesn't have to be Phantom of The Opera. Just play great tunes (less worn to death songs) and everyone will love the show. I mean I didn't walk out of the show saying "I'm so touched with this whole innocence and experience thing...I'm a changed man forever, thank god!" I walked out saying "well executed show, band sounds tight, really enjoyed the new tunes live, didn't get me groove on as much as previous tours, and let me throw up hearing BTBS, MW, ISHFWILF, etc. AGAIN!!"

Well, the band bothers with it.  So I'd say someone--if even just the band--cares.  It doesn't require you to, or make those that do somehow wrong.

I wasn't suggesting any of that brother!! I love that people follow the theme and love the theatre of it. But does to really matter? Do they need that to support the songs?? My point was the broadway production locks them into the same script each night and creates too much stagnation especially with their choice of worn to death "classics" which are tired. I mean seriously, other than Pride being reborn a bit, the others are lackluster at best.

That's fair--there are plenty of old songs I think I could happily never hear again--though I'm not sure the show production is to blame for that.  The band themselves determine what to play, and the songs' success hinges largely just on their performance.  I'm not sure why Pride suddenly works after just kind of marking time for so many years--sudden topical relevance, maybe?--but it would be nice to have that spirit back in the old hits if they're determined to keep playing them.  (Although I thought Bullet was pretty great, and UTEOTW the highlight of the show.)

Great point. I so wish that because they choose to play some of those tunes that somehow that spirit can be found again!! Just something missing with those songs I mentioned!!

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »
Pride doesn't suddenly work again for me. Those eight minute long performances of it during Montreal 1 and 2 were excruciating to me.

Oh don't get me wrong....It was just less excruciating then the rest. New tunes sounded good though

hrsan

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »
Maybe Bono's accident has a lot to do with the song choices.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 03:59:53 PM »

If that's the case, they should be playing I Fall Down. It's never been more relevant for live performance than it is now.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »

Do you mean that the paint by the numbers tunes are a bit easier on him?

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »
I'd love for them to try that Bad/Moment of Surrender combo as the show closer. I'm almost certain that would work beautifully to end the show.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »
I'd love for them to try that Bad/Moment of Surrender combo as the show closer. I'm almost certain that would work beautifully to end the show.

No. MOS already failed as concert closer with 360 imo.

ya it sucks. ISFH is NOT a closer, i'd rather OOC be the closer or 40. I'm sick of Wowy/One closing the show. so far im thinkin 360 is trouncing this tour, as least as far as my anticipation of going is.

Don't get discouraged.  The huge hollow screen section is amazing and better than anything that's come before.  You'll love it.

See i'm avoiding "video" spoilers to have that to look forward to at least. Trust me, im glad i know the setlist so i wont be pi**ed when i leave.

Offline threechords

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »
yes. this set over and over is brutal.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »
I think the hard core folks need to remember that we're not the majority of the audience.  I sat next to a couple who were "the biggest U2 fans ever" at the last concert and they clearly had not really heard SOI, let alone knew the lyrics.  And these were "the biggest fans."  Just imagine everyone that went because of a buddy and the fact they know One and Mysterious Ways.  I realize most of the people on here want to hear them open with Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk and close with Luminous Times, but that's just not feasible for the other 25,000 people at the concert.

I don't think One or Still Haven't work great as closers and I wish they'd retire With or Without You.  But I'm happy to hear them all and overall I think an encore of COBL (which was amazing this tour), Streets, and 40 was as good as any closing encore they've done.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:25:24 AM by jjcruiser »

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »

No. MOS already failed as concert closer with 360 imo.

ya it sucks. ISFH is NOT a closer, i'd rather OOC be the closer or 40. I'm sick of Wowy/One closing the show. so far im thinkin 360 is trouncing this tour, as least as far as my anticipation of going is.

Don't get discouraged.  The huge hollow screen section is amazing and better than anything that's come before.  You'll love it.

See i'm avoiding "video" spoilers to have that to look forward to at least. Trust me, im glad i know the setlist so i wont be pi**ed when i leave.

Nah not the entire song, but the extended snippet at the end of Bad. It works really well there.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 11:19:07 PM »
o ok i havent heard that yet.

im also still waitin on a soundboard/fm/matrix bootleg from this tour. nothing so far.

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 11:30:53 PM »
o ok i havent heard that yet.

im also still waitin on a soundboard/fm/matrix bootleg from this tour. nothing so far.

Exactly like this is what I meant.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »
I think it is. My fav is 360 Leg 1. Ultraviolet and MOS.... You could throw in my least favorite U2 song, and it'd still be my favorite encore with those two.