Author Topic: Name something you don't like about a good song.  (Read 13121 times)

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
Re: Name something you don't like about a good song.
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was listening to it last night, and while I like the song overall, the bit about the magic marker written on his arm in "Ordinary Love" is just a terrible lyric.

Somewhere I read that Bono took some of the lyrics from that song from poems Nelson Mandela wrote his wife while he was in prison.  If true, and if Bono took the better parts of said poems, well, let's just say Mandela was a much better political activist than poet.
What kills me is that "Your heart is on my sleeve" is actually a pretty decent line. It deserves to be followed by something far better than what it got.

Offline endoftheworld

• Babyface
  • You give yourself, you give it all away.
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2015, 04:15:14 PM »
I have so much to agree with here. The 'newborn babies head' line, the Santa Barbaras in California, the end of Kite.

Although, I disagree about the womps in the William Orbit version of Electrical Storm (I'm biased as it's my favorite U2 song). I think it adds to the heaviness of the lyrics, about rain and swimming and the sea. I think it's incredibly beautiful.

The most cringeworthy U2 lyric for me is definitely "A mole, digging in a hole". Ruins the whole song for me :/

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2015, 12:36:39 AM »
I have so much to agree with here. The 'newborn babies head' line, the Santa Barbaras in California, the end of Kite.

Although, I disagree about the womps in the William Orbit version of Electrical Storm (I'm biased as it's my favorite U2 song). I think it adds to the heaviness of the lyrics, about rain and swimming and the sea. I think it's incredibly beautiful.

The most cringeworthy U2 lyric for me is definitely "A mole, digging in a hole". Ruins the whole song for me :/

I agree, the womps fit the song perfectly! The lyric 'the air is heavy, heavy as a truck' gets me every time though.

Offline Bonobos

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
The non-existent chorus on Miracle Drug, also what I hate about most of the SOI songs. Iris for example, really like the build up to the chorus and basically most of the song, but the f****** "woo woo woo..." in the chorus ruins the whole song for me. Same for Raised By Wolves and Invisible, terrible choruses that ruin the songs

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2015, 10:50:51 PM »
The non-existent chorus on Miracle Drug, also what I hate about most of the SOI songs. Iris for example, really like the build up to the chorus and basically most of the song, but the f****** "woo woo woo..." in the chorus ruins the whole song for me. Same for Raised By Wolves and Invisible, terrible choruses that ruin the songs

I like the invisible chorus but agree generally about recent choruses (I'd add song for someone to this list with bells on). Think they've had an issue with choruses generally - sometimes you can't make it.....was originally just the title - I think it was Flood who made them add "and it's you when I look in the mirror..." part (thankfully).

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2015, 01:41:10 AM »
I'll name something I like about a bad song. The "let me in the sound!" part of Boots. Deserved its own song, could have been Mofo II. Love how Larry pounds the drums for that part, Edge's guitar, Bono. It's great. The rest of the song, however...  :-X

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
IGWSHA: 'It's the blind leading the blonde'.  What a great song.  What a dumb lyric.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »
IGWSHA: 'It's the blind leading the blonde'.  What a great song.  What a dumb lyric.

Are you blonde by any chance?

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »

No.  thanks for your contribution.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »

That's quite alright, thanks for having a sense of humour.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »

I always choose to hear it as the blind leading the 'dumb'.

Helps me enjoy it slightly more.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »

That's quite alright, thanks for having a sense of humour.

ok my friend - touche  8)