Author Topic: 'Miracle' a poor choice to open the show?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline philip861

• Refugee
'Miracle' a poor choice to open the show?
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
I've got tickets to see the show in NYC in July and I don't want to spoil the experience of seeing the band live by watching a lot of videos on YouTube, but from what I have seen, 'Miracle' seems to be a poor choice of opener. There doesn't seem to be a huge level of anticipation/excitement as Bono begins the song (compared to the beginnings of ZooTV, or 360 when they played 'Even Better' as the opener, for example) and even as the full band start playing, the audience seem a bit 'meh'. I remember my first concert, Vertigo in Dublin in '05, and the whole pit area went crazy for the opener; 'Miracle' just doesn't seem to be hitting the audience in the right spot.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Re: 'Miracle' a poor choice to open the show?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
I think it is thematic. There are other songs that would put a faster charge into the audience, but they are trying to convey a message. The Miracle is about the moment Bono had his awakening. It's the logical place to start, unless you put IWF first and TM second.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:14:28 PM »
The song got a great audience response when I was at Montreal 1 and 2. People sang the Oh Oh Ohs loudly. :)

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
I had the same reaction initially but I'm not sure there's a better option on SOI.  And it's growing on me.  A little like Elevation.  I love that song but it felt anticlimactic to me at the start of that tour; unlike Mofo and Zoo Station, which were incredible.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »
After seeing The Edge crank out the opening power chords five feet ahead of me on Wednesday night, I would say "no, not at all!"

That being said, I did originally think that it would have worked better as a #2 song in the set. But the song seems to do a decent job of getting the audience involved right away. Bono's walk to the stage during the "oh, oh, oh"'s seems to help too.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »
I would say that almost every reaction I've seen to it since the start of the tour has been overwhelmingly positive; virtually everyone I've seen has said it works far better than they expected. That's not just people eager to please either, since the same people have largely criticised their failure to settle on a closer. Not worried about this one; I think it works great from what I can see and from what I've heard.

Waffles

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »
I thought breathe was the best. Just larry out there drumming like nuts, and everyone screaming their heads. Then the whole band appears and the whole place goes nuts. Miracle works well but doesn't have the same suspense

Offline RonnieFerg

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »
Yeah, i shared your worry but actually found it to be awesome. And I'm not a fan of Miracle on the album and was honestly dreading to hear it but ended up being pleasantly surprised. I posted this on a prev thread discussing the crowd's reaction to the new songs:

"Miracle was awesome. I'm not really a fan of what I consider U2's latter day big dumb singles (Elevation, Vertigo, Boots), and I had kinda lumped Miracle in with those, but seeing it live and vibing on the energy of the crowd... I've totally come around to it. Something about it sounds way better live. I think Edge's guitar is crunchier and comes through much clearer. It feels a lot more punk rock than the album version. The whole crowd was going nuts for it, especially the first night."

In LA opening night people were indeed going nuts. Bono was stalking the stage looking like some cat ready to pounce instead of an old dude who just had a serious bike accident. It was great.

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 08:15:26 PM »
I think it works. Wouldn't mind if they experimented opening with TIWYCRMN.

Offline Am I bugging you?

• Party Girl/Boy
  • “Fu<k the revolution”
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it works. Wouldn't mind if they experimented opening with TIWYCRMN.
  I agree, I think the intro from TIWYCRMN would work very nicely opening the show or the encore.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »
I was hesitant about it live as well.  It is tuned down for Bono's voice, and on video clips it seemingly loses it's punch a bit.  But being on the floor twice already in Chicago, I couldn't think of a better choice.  I had my doubts, but the buildup and energy is palpable and explosive. 

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »
Miracle was so crazy awesome live!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 09:14:42 AM »
You can't judge how a song is working from you tube or periscope or mixlr. Miracle is not my favorite song, but it totally worked as the opener at the three shows I've been to. Even people who don't know the song can easily catch on to the oh oh part, and the energy is fantastic.

Offline lambeaudog

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »
I too was hesitant about it but I really thought it played well. You get the singing of the "oh oh"'s to build the anticipation and then once they hit those opening chords it just takes off. I absolutely loved the frenzied pace of the first four songs (I was at Chi2). It totally gave the feel of what their early shows musta been like (no tech elements, just an energized rock show). Even mixing in the newer songs (Miracle and Vertigo) it still had an early punk influenced show feel.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 12:10:08 AM »
I loved it as an opener (at LA 3) and I was surprised I did. Lots of muscle and energy. Possibly my 2nd fave opener after Mofo.