Author Topic: Issues with Crystal Ballroom live  (Read 3294 times)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
Re: Issues with Crystal Ballroom live
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »
I'm still glad they are trying out new songs, even if they aren't perfect. I'm also glad that, based on Bono's comments before the song, the band is listening to what the fans say.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 10:33:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The backing track is a critical part to the song on record, and while I heard it softly in the background, it needs to be much louder overall

Things are bleak when u2 fans are saying that a backing track is the thing to save how a song goes down live.....

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 10:51:30 AM »
sometimes you need either a backing band (Bruce Springsteen goes on stage with about 20 musicians and backing vocalists) or a backing track. U2 chose the latter, so that it's only ever the four of them on stage.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
I thought Crystal Ballroom would be a fun song live. Based on the video, maybe I was wrong. I guess tour professionals who have been putting together set lists for 30 years probably know more than me. :) but hey, at least they tried!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:59:54 AM by lorijane »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »
Prefer the additional musicians personally, it's a properly live experience then, always sounds better. Plus once you start the whole backing tracks thing it's very easy to start using recorded stuff more and more and dilute the live experience further....

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »
^
But the backing track on the album version is a synth. How do you reproduce that with live musicians? It wouldn't sound the same. I prefer the current backing track with U2 playing along.

As for Bono singing over edge's guitar solo, the 'everyone is here with me tonight' part works, the oh oh oh singalong at the end doesn't IMO.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
The backing track is a critical part to the song on record, and while I heard it softly in the background, it needs to be much louder overall

Things are bleak when u2 fans are saying that a backing track is the thing to save how a song goes down live.....

The song still came off fabulously live, it was just missing something. Larry was also playing on his smaller b-stage kit too so that might have been something.

Heck, why not ask Terry of the underworld to play said synths? He's there I assume. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »

The song still came off fabulously live, it was just missing something. Larry was also playing on his smaller b-stage kit too so that might have been something.

Heck, why not ask Terry of the underworld to play said synths? He's there I assume.

That is a good idea about the synths, and a fair point about Larry's kit.

I'm all for anything that means that what we hear is being played by the people on stage and I have no problem at all with additional musicians being on stage even additional guitarists ala Wayne Murray with The Manics or Scott McCaughey with REM or the additional musicians the Stones use.

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »

I'm all for anything that means that what we hear is being played by the people on stage and I have no problem at all with additional musicians being on stage even additional guitarists ala Wayne Murray with The Manics or Scott McCaughey with REM or the additional musicians the Stones use.

I'd love to see Terry and others on stage with them, but I understand their desire to keep it as a four piece because its always been that way.

That being said, even Muse has touring member Morgan Nicholls who does the majority of their keyboard work and such, yet Muse still seem like a 3 piece band regardless. So much could be opened up if they had an extra member, or a touring orchestra (what happened to that speaking of which?)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »

I'd love to see Terry and others on stage with them, but I understand their desire to keep it as a four piece because its always been that way.

That being said, even Muse has touring member Morgan Nicholls who does the majority of their keyboard work and such, yet Muse still seem like a 3 piece band regardless. So much could be opened up if they had an extra member, or a touring orchestra (what happened to that speaking of which?)

It could definitely help them broaden their repertoire live/help make things sound better....Even Bono's rudimentary and slight addition to things seems to be being missed now he can't play

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »

It could definitely help them broaden their repertoire live/help make things sound better....Even Bono's rudimentary and slight addition to things seems to be being missed now he can't play

Yeah I kinda cringe every time he plays the keyboard after that whole incident where he played Sweetest Thing in a different key and messed up Edge.

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 12:15:06 AM »
Was not a fan of that first attempt at TCB. I do hope they get the arrangement worked out for my show in NYC...would love to hear it live along with Gloria!

Smee

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 03:03:06 AM »
Was not a fan of that first attempt at TCB. I do hope they get the arrangement worked out for my show in NYC...would love to hear it live along with Gloria!

Ive just spoken to Gloria, she said she would rather hear The Troubles :P

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »

It's possible that that WAS Terry playing live.  Or at least partially.  Regardless, it was a good performance but can be even better with slightly louder track/terry!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 08:17:11 AM »
It took them a few times to get Volcano to sound right live (and I got to witness it!! yay!). They may have to work on this one. But honestly, I thought it was awesome live! I was two rows back from the e-stage as well that night. I was really happy to get it.

Everyone on here, always b**** b**** b****. Haha. :/