Author Topic: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.  (Read 7162 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:19:36 PM »
This might be redundant for most, but perhaps new for some.  If you are planning to get on the GA list "early", be sure to ask the list Nazis about multiple check-in times.  There are more than just the 2 on the day of the show (if there is a  2 day gap between multiple shows).    Example, I was #3 on the list for Chicago, July 2.  I signed up right after the show on June 29.  The list Nazi told us that night to come back today at 12:00.  I showed up, but I was bumped to #17.  There were also additional check ins added yesterday.  They also said an additional one had been added at 5:00 p.m. today as well.  This is in addition to the 7 am check in and the 4:30 p.m. check in.  I find this to be absolutely ridiculous.  Part of me understands why, but then there is a bigger part of me that doesn't trust these people at all.  There were also rumors the lists had been "tampered" with for the other shows. Bottom line, if you wanna be on the early part of the "list" - go for it.  Just be sure to ask and verify other times, and plan ahead of taking time off the days prior to the show.  Again, this might be old wine to some, but share it any way.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:33:48 PM by achtung child »

Offline JohnInAthens

• Refugee
  • atU2 Staff - Venue Archaeologist
Re: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
Here's my advice:

Stand in line like a human being and enjoy the show. It's better from further out, anyway.

No need for dungeon masters making rules to govern strangers by.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »
Think it was Lorijane who said these line leaders were letting their pals in line, ahead of others on the list at one venue

Personally I find the whole thing laughable, how can you be in a queue without queuing just by putting your name down on a list....

It isn't my thing to queue but if I arrived at a venue at 3pm for example and decided to queue and somebody tried to stand in front of me arriving at 4pm just because they put their name on some list earlier they wouldn't be staying in front of me....

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Think it was Lorijane who said these line leaders were letting their pals in line, ahead of others on the list at one venue

Personally I find the whole thing laughable, how can you be in a queue without queuing just by putting your name down on a list....

It isn't my thing to queue but if I arrived at a venue at 3pm for example and decided to queue and somebody tried to stand in front of me arriving at 4pm just because they put their name on some list earlier they wouldn't be staying in front of me....

Not me!!!! I assume it happens, but I've never seen it.

I've only been to four shows total( one 360 and three I + E), so I know very little. :)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 12:49:08 PM »

I've only been to four shows total( one 360 and three I + E), so I know very little. :)

It was Belisama, apologies!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »

No worries!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:05:37 PM by lorijane »

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:01:39 PM »
I thought this kind of stuff only went on at one direction concerts. The mind boggles... a lot of effort to be 5 feet closer.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »
I thought this kind of stuff only went on at one direction concerts. The mind boggles... a lot of effort to be 5 feet closer.

At the end of the day, you're right.  There's really not a bad spot to be had if you show up an hour before the gate opens.  Just kind of annoyed is all really.  Took two hours out of the work day.  My pet peeve is being sent on wild goose chases.   I live here, but I hate seeing those travelling the day of or out of town being jerked around by these people.  Not cool.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »

At the end of the day, you're right.  There's really not a bad spot to be had if you show up an hour before the gate opens.  Just kind of annoyed is all really.  Took two hours out of the work day.  My pet peeve is being sent on wild goose chases.   I live here, but I hate seeing those travelling the day of or out of town being jerked around by these people.  Not cool.

I would be peeved too I guess.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »

LOL It was me. . . although I am quite flattered to be confused with lj. ;)

My experiences have been both good and bad. I have been there when people allowed their friends to get ahead of others. However I have to say for Chicago 2, David the self proclaimed Line Nazi also saved me. I checked in early (6:30 as opposed to 7) and was marked Here.  Apparently when the rest of the gang/line showed up, a role call was taken and I was removed from the list. I got there at noon but the noon check in was cancelled. I left and came back at 4 when there was someone else with my number. Some people around me were understanding, but this one man and one couple kept making a big deal of it. They kept telling me I had to go to the back of the line. David came to see what the fuss was about and totally vouched for me even to the point of telling people if they had a problem with it, to take it up with him.

Bottom line if you absolutely positively need to be at a certain place inside, prepare to be in the line all day. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
Can we leave the term 'nazis' for actual 'nazis' please? Words mean things.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
I'm sorry this is happening! The other Chicago shows were well run, but I only participated in 1 and 4. I guess it depends on who the line leaders are. And, we didn't arrive until noon show 1 and 3:30 show 4.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »

LOL It was me. . . although I am quite flattered to be confused with lj. ;)

My experiences have been both good and bad. I have been there when people allowed their friends to get ahead of others. However I have to say for Chicago 2, David the self proclaimed Line Nazi also saved me. I checked in early (6:30 as opposed to 7) and was marked Here.  Apparently when the rest of the gang/line showed up, a role call was taken and I was removed from the list. I got there at noon but the noon check in was cancelled. I left and came back at 4 when there was someone else with my number. Some people around me were understanding, but this one man and one couple kept making a big deal of it. They kept telling me I had to go to the back of the line. David came to see what the fuss was about and totally vouched for me even to the point of telling people if they had a problem with it, to take it up with him.

Bottom line if you absolutely positively need to be at a certain place inside, prepare to be in the line all day.

I am sure she is equally as flattered!

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »
I'm sorry this is happening! The other Chicago shows were well run, but I only participated in 1 and 4. I guess it depends on who the line leaders are. And, we didn't arrive until noon show 1 and 3:30 show 4.

Like I said, not a big deal.  At the end of the day, it's a blessing to have GA as it is.  I posted this as a warning to the other venues that do this.  I don't like seeing people from out of town doing all the right things get jerked around by these people.  The United Center is not the easiest place to get to, esp if you are without a car.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »
Both times we still got rail or one back! This stage set up is terrific!