Author Topic: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.  (Read 7166 times)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
Re: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Think it was Lorijane who said these line leaders were letting their pals in line, ahead of others on the list at one venue

Personally I find the whole thing laughable, how can you be in a queue without queuing just by putting your name down on a list....

It isn't my thing to queue but if I arrived at a venue at 3pm for example and decided to queue and somebody tried to stand in front of me arriving at 4pm just because they put their name on some list earlier they wouldn't be staying in front of me....

Not me!!!! I assume it happens, but I've never seen it.

I've only been to four shows total( one 360 and three I + E), so I know very little. :)

It was Belisama, apologies!

LOL It was me. . . although I am quite flattered to be confused with lj. ;)

My experiences have been both good and bad. I have been there when people allowed their friends to get ahead of others. However I have to say for Chicago 2, David the self proclaimed Line Nazi also saved me. I checked in early (6:30 as opposed to 7) and was marked Here.  Apparently when the rest of the gang/line showed up, a role call was taken and I was removed from the list. I got there at noon but the noon check in was cancelled. I left and came back at 4 when there was someone else with my number. Some people around me were understanding, but this one man and one couple kept making a big deal of it. They kept telling me I had to go to the back of the line. David came to see what the fuss was about and totally vouched for me even to the point of telling people if they had a problem with it, to take it up with him.

Bottom line if you absolutely positively need to be at a certain place inside, prepare to be in the line all day.

I am sure she is equally as flattered!

I'm honored! Beli is a gem! :)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »
just put your running shows on and prepare to run once you get in. My buddy and I were about half way down the line for a Springsteen show a few years back. Once the doors opened we bolted by a whole lot of people, some who weren't to happy with us. I ended up close enough to strum his guitar during Born to Run.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 04:45:24 PM »
Can we leave the term 'nazis' for actual 'nazis' please? Words mean things.

I agree that it is not the best term, however this moniker was given to the line runners by themselves many, many moons ago. That is also why I was sure to add that the person running my line was self described as one.

lj, thank you for the compliments.  I love our mutual admiration society.

So Cruel, no running allowed this time out. The security at arenas this time out is adamant. I was admonished for walking too fast. And they are only letting people in about 50 at a time.

RedBullOverdose

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »
Can we leave the term 'nazis' for actual 'nazis' please? Words mean things.

I agree.  Tin Pot Dictators would be a better term I think

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
It is kind of humorous to read all this, as my friend and I showed up at GA Chicago 1 at 7:10 or so.  We walked to the back of the line, which at that point was one block long.  We were let in 25 at a time by the time we got to the front of the GA line.  We got our southside wrist bands and walked (not ran) to the intersection of the e-stage and the catwalk, with only two heads in front of us.  There was someone behind us with a number 250 or so and a number 50 or so right in front of us.  We waited in line for all of 10 minutes at one hour before showtime and we still got to see the sweat on Bono's face.  Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

just put your running shows on and prepare to run once you get in. My buddy and I were about half way down the line for a Springsteen show a few years back. Once the doors opened we bolted by a whole lot of people, some who weren't to happy with us. I ended up close enough to strum his guitar during Born to Run.

Offline RebeccaBlueStars

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 06:42:05 PM »
This was not the case at all in the GA line for Chicago night #4. Everything was run really smoothly. Once we were lined up after the final roll call, the UC security guy came out and told a section of people at a time what was going to happen; 1) They would let about 50 people in at a time. 2.) You first past security (to check bags) 3.) Then they will scan the credit cards and give you a paper slip for entry. 4.) Then you would go to the right or left table for wristbands depending which side you wished to be on (The right table was the north side: Adam's. And the left table was Edge's, which would be the south side of the stage.) There was no running. My friend and I were numbers 81 and 82 and got the rail on the "e" stage right to where the red tape was.

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
It is kind of humorous to read all this, as my friend and I showed up at GA Chicago 1 at 7:10 or so.  We walked to the back of the line, which at that point was one block long.  We were let in 25 at a time by the time we got to the front of the GA line.  We got our southside wrist bands and walked (not ran) to the intersection of the e-stage and the catwalk, with only two heads in front of us.  There was someone behind us with a number 250 or so and a number 50 or so right in front of us.  We waited in line for all of 10 minutes at one hour before showtime and we still got to see the sweat on Bono's face.  Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

In Phoenix I strolled in around 6- 630, got something to drink and sauntered down to the floor and had my pick of 'one person back' spots by the whole entire very lengthy rail.  It seemed a little weird to press myself up against the rail holders with no one else behind me and consequently people inserted themselves between me and them. But I enjoyed roaming around back and forth from I to E. Close enough to baptized by Bono's spit water with very little effort.   The GA line shenanigans really boggle my mind.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »
Chicago had a nasty flight of stairs down to the wristband tables. I think if you ran they would either kick you out or you would break your neck.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 06:53:35 PM »
I race walked down those stairs the last show just for the fun of it!  ;)

Offline RebeccaBlueStars

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 07:08:52 PM »
Chicago had a nasty flight of stairs down to the wristband tables. I think if you ran they would either kick you out or you would break your neck.
Yep!

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 07:16:07 PM »
Since some of have been to the Chicago shows, I'm planning on being at the UC at 4. Monday I chose the e-stage, tomorrow I'd like to be by the main stage. How close will I be able to get?

Offline RebeccaBlueStars

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:28 PM »
When I got in for Chicago #4 (GA number 81) the main stage rail was all taken up by either GA's or Red Zoner's (in the GA area) Are we talking 4am or 4pm? If it's 4am, I am sure that you will get close (probably still not a rail though- more like just one row of people in front of you) but by 4pm, you will be further back. The GA line has already started to form for tomorrow's show.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »
This is from this afternoon:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 08:07:19 PM »
When I got in for Chicago #4 (GA number 81) the main stage rail was all taken up by either GA's or Red Zoner's (in the GA area) Are we talking 4am or 4pm? If it's 4am, I am sure that you will get close (probably still not a rail though- more like just one row of people in front of you) but by 4pm, you will be further back. The GA line has already started to form for tomorrow's show.
PM. How far back are we talking?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:09:57 PM by ultravioletlight »

Offline RebeccaBlueStars

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 08:19:37 PM »
PM. How far back are we talking?
Um, I can't say for sure. I was #81 (got there at 5am) and the girl next to me was #151 (don't know what time she arrived at the GA line.) What I can tell you is that just because you are getting there at 4pm, it doesn't mean that you will get a bad spot. Really, the way it's set up, every spot is great for different reasons. There is A LOT of rail. I really think U2 did a fantastic job with the stage layout to give out as much rail as possible. I thought there would be pushy people, but everyone for the most part respected one another spaces- at least where I was (e stage). The lady next to me even left to go to the bathroom twice during the show and both times I thought there would be no way she'd get it back. But I held it along with her friend and no one tried to challenge the spot so she got it back with no trouble. Don't sweat it. I promise you- you will be satisfied with whatever spot you end up with!