Author Topic: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.  (Read 7179 times)

Offline ozmodiar

• Stateless
Re: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 09:56:34 PM »
Is two check-ins per day a lot? Sounds pretty reasonable to me if you don't want to be there all day and night. It also seems like there are a lot fewer people on the list than at the same time before previous shows.

Whether it's a proper way to run the line is another issue.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is two check-ins per day a lot? Sounds pretty reasonable to me if you don't want to be there all day and night. It also seems like there are a lot fewer people on the list than at the same time before previous shows.

Whether it's a proper way to run the line is another issue.

Two check ins is not alot.  The issue is the 2 day gap between shows.  The line typically starts the second the previous night's show is over.  Problem is the line "leader" is AWOL, whereby the "others" begin making a list.  The trouble is the times for check in change afterwards.  So during that gap, things on the list change.  And conveniently the line moderators and their "helpers" are all at the top of the list by the day of the show.   It's unethical and dishonest.  The United Center is pretty much in no man's land and not quite as easy to access say like Wrigley Field or even Soldier Field.  But again, I am very lucky to have GA's at all.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
I think the whole "check-in" thing is dumb. If you're not their the morning of the concert, you lose your spot. Can this be changed? Or am I wrong?

Offline Bentleyspop

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 10:26:49 PM »
I don't  understand  what all this is about.
I walked onto the floor in Phoenix at 8:10 and saw the exact same show as all the people  who waited  in line for hours.
Actually I saw more of the show then those people. Yes I wasn't  so close  that I could count the pores on Bonos nose but I saw the whole show from beginning to end, top to bottom, and left to right. Plus I didn't  leave my hotel till after 6. Went for a nice relaxing dinner. Parked a few blocks away and walked in at 8:10 with no lines  and no waiting.

Enjoy the show and screw all that useless waiting

Offline skalichman

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 11:19:11 PM »
For me.. I want to be close. I want to count those pores.
Chicago 1 I was #287. 1 person back at choice spot on e stage.  I was right behind #10.
Chicago 2 I was #143 and on rail at e stage next to a red zoner
Chicago 3 I had a seat. By the way...My audio experience was extremely noticeably better than the floor.
Chicago 4 I was #43 and on rail at e stage noticing several others on rail right near me with numbers over 200

I think the whole camping out, line check ins etc is like a habit or tradition. Seems foolish for this awesome stage set up.

Waffles

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 11:31:48 PM »
Just get with a group of people and make your own damn list

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 12:31:55 AM »
I don't  understand  what all this is about.
I walked onto the floor in Phoenix at 8:10 and saw the exact same show as all the people  who waited  in line for hours.
Actually I saw more of the show then those people. Yes I wasn't  so close  that I could count the pores on Bonos nose but I saw the whole show from beginning to end, top to bottom, and left to right. Plus I didn't  leave my hotel till after 6. Went for a nice relaxing dinner. Parked a few blocks away and walked in at 8:10 with no lines  and no waiting.

Enjoy the show and screw all that useless waiting

Bentleyspop knows.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 05:28:37 AM »
This is from this afternoon:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I saw that! Poor Joy! Bono gave her bronchitis and now the entire U2 "frat" house has it. I hope she doesn't get worse. Yikes!! She needs sleep too!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 05:44:26 AM »
This is from this afternoon:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I saw that! Poor Joy! Bono gave her bronchitis and now the entire U2 "frat" house has it. I hope she doesn't get worse. Yikes!! She needs sleep too!

As an explanation: Joy was pulled up on stage to do the Meerkat part of Chicago 1  (dance with Bono and broadcast a song). Bono had pretty bad bronchitis so I gues she got sick (I've seen it called "Bono mono"). She and some friends got an airbnb (an Internet site where people rent out a room or their whole place) near the venue and call it the U2 frat house.

To each their own on lining up. Just have to decide what works best for you.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:46:32 AM by lorijane »

Offline philnmarks

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »
As I'm English, I'm generally able to stand in a line without assistance from anyone in either an official or an un official category. :)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »
More advice, for any time porta potties are involved: bring a small packet of tissues and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. :)  You might need the hand sanitizer to combat Bono mono, too.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 08:52:09 AM »
Your post is case in point.  I had choice spot on e stage (literally 2 heads behind the woman who got pulled up), walked in slowly at 7 p.m., did not stand in line at all during the day, and I had number 250 is BEHIND me and 50ish right in front of me.  I spent the day shopping, socializing, enjoying Chicago, and having dinner.  I think I had the better deal. 

And despite not waiting in line all day or getting on the "list," I still saw every bead of sweat on Bono's face:)

For me.. I want to be close. I want to count those pores.
Chicago 1 I was #287. 1 person back at choice spot on e stage.  I was right behind #10.
Chicago 2 I was #143 and on rail at e stage next to a red zoner
Chicago 3 I had a seat. By the way...My audio experience was extremely noticeably better than the floor.
Chicago 4 I was #43 and on rail at e stage noticing several others on rail right near me with numbers over 200

I think the whole camping out, line check ins etc is like a habit or tradition. Seems foolish for this awesome stage set up.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »
As I'm English, I'm generally able to stand in a line without assistance from anyone in either an official or an un official category. :)

I was impressed with your queues while visiting, quite well mannered folks. Of course, it wasn't a football match! ;)

Offline acrobatnation

• Wanderer
  • Shout for JOY if you get the chance
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:24 AM »
Went to four Chicago shows... Night 1 and 2 were ran by the same person.  He left the show before the encore so he could do the list.  He had a piece of scratch paper with lists of people who were his friends (who remained in the show mind you) and that is how he "officially" started the list for night 2.  He also made so many ridiculous check ins.  Like its Midnight after night 1 and he demands we all come back at 5am to check in.  Crazy...

Night 3 was started after night 2.  There was like 35 people waiting to be put on the list.  Guy who ran night 1 and 2 was freaking out because some other people started the list and he wasn't included.  He literally threw a hissy fit.  People running night 3 stayed there for 2 full days to make sure people who came were signed up and given info.  It ran smoothly.  Only issues were with the click group from night 1 and 2...

Night 4 was even more entertaining.... Someone who didn't go to Night 3 started the list at 8:30.  Guy from night 1 came out again, before end of the show with his personal list.  When he found out someone else started the list, he went nuts.  His whole group went nuts.  Some girl claiming to be all "peace and love" was ranting like an absolute maniac.  She was claiming the guys list was a fake and that it wasn't the real list.  I wish I videoed that because it was pretty entertaining.... Anyway, Night 4 list ended up being diplomatically consolidated and people managed it fairly.  Didn't see any issues.

Night 5 (July 2) was even more crazy.  A couple of teachers came in from Phoenix to start it.  The natives were really up in arms because they were going to do a text/phone in sign up and just leave a sign at the GA area... That is when times were added and information got changed around.  Seems like the people from night 1 and 2 were doing anything and everything to sabotage night 3-5 because they weren't running it....

The whole GA que is unfair and a joke.  There is no honor among thieves.  When asked when the que would start for Night 3, the guy running night 2 refused to say what time to show up to get a good spot.  He expected fans to just come back Saturday afternoon, knowing that he was going to come extra early so him and his pals could run it again.  A group beat him at his own game which was hilarious....  Should be rules that it cannot start until day before show and not before say, 10am in the time zone the show is.  That way everyone knows and whomever shows up early and wants to help,,, they can manage it.  To keep the info secretive is childish and unfair considering venues usually use the que list...

Anyway,,, the shows were amazing and worth it.  The entertainment value was priceless and my daughter got to see her first U2 show ever, meet the band and her life has been changed.  She can't stop talking about u2 to all her "Justin Bieber" friends and I love it.  The world needs more U2 fans!!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:04:34 AM by acrobatnation »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »
Oh man... And that, acrobatnation, is why I dont eff with the GA line anymore. I dont need the drama. Ridiculous. Look, the earliest I showed up was 5:30 for Chicago 4. I still ended up two to three people off the rail by the e-stage. I dont need to be on the stinking rail. That was plenty close and when the band were there, everyone kind of smooshed together so I was even closer. I waved at Adam and he smiled at me. So you dont need to be on the rail to be seen by the band.

Every other night I had great views as well. On night 2, I got sprayed by Bono when he flung his water bottle at us in front of the main stage. I was 5-6 people back there! I got there at 6:30pm.

Most of the people who desire only rail are narcissists IMHO. I've been on the rail at shows and it's great... But I'm not going to beat people up for it or put up with the line drama. I'm certainly not going to leave one show early to queue for the next. Wow. That's really losing touch with what the shows are all about.

I had a great time, rail or no rail. (I had rail night 2 in Vancouver and only queued from 1pm on... didn't get a number or anything cuz it was too late in the day to be under the control of the line nazis.)

I'm SO OVER queuing all day for GA. I will probably never do it again.