Author Topic: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.  (Read 7168 times)

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
Re: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 10:40:44 AM »
Again. Screw these UNOFFICIAL lines!!!!!!!!! They paid by the venue or the band itself to run this so called official line??? NO!! they have no business saying they are the "official GA line." It's what the venue goes by on where the line starts and where to line up and what time the line goes in. NOT THESE SO-CALLED GA LINE EXPERTS/NAZI'S!!!! I'd walk right by these clowns if I was ever to do an early GA line up again. Try and stop me.  I'll go where the venue says to go.

Also there is NO NEED to line up all day. Many others have mentioned it too. I had GA's for 2 of the 5 LA shows and walked in at 730!!! Front row in just to the right of the Edge!!! There was about 2 line deep from the 'e' stage too where my friends got and had an INCREDIBLE time.

Waiting in line over night in the wee hours of the morning and all day? Jesus get a fkn life.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »
I am pretty sure that as far back as the first shows that the atu2 team did a review that basically said to people 'there is no need to queue up to get a good spec for this show' or words to that effect...

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am pretty sure that as far back as the first shows that the atu2 team did a review that basically said to people 'there is no need to queue up to get a good spec for this show' or words to that effect...

Yeah. But there are a certain contingent of fans who absolutely cannot deal with not being on the rail... They have to be there every time or they dont have an enjoyable show. You will never convince them to not line up.

Which sucks. Every once in awhile, it might be nice to let other people some time on the rail.

My personal philosophy with U2 is that it's better to be in the building than not at all. So anywhere on the floor is bonus points. After a lot of BS on 360, I'm seriously over it. Also, on 360 I learned that you didnt really need to queue all day for a great spot either.

Offline acrobatnation

• Wanderer
  • Shout for JOY if you get the chance
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
Yeah... I get it.  I've seen U2 (War and UF tours) where I was in the nose bleed sections and U2 were like tiny figures... My vision isn't the greatest anyway... My pictures were bad too.  Starting in JT,,, I started Queing.  The fun isn't even in the final spot on the floor.  I've met some of my closest friends in the queue.  It is like tailgating before a football game... And I've been in the "crowd",,,, where it was all good.  Once I did get against the rail / stage,,, I have to say, it is great because you can lean on it.  You don't have people in front of you, etc.  Many don't see this as important and I don't argue that point of view.  For me,,,, closer is better.  My 13 year old was with me and had a perfect view.  She is still talking about how Adam and Bono looked at her,,,, "they looked at me, Dad!!!"  "Bono pointed at me"... Awesome... It is a personal experience.  Once I get sick of dealing with it,, I won't do it.  For now,,, it is worth it to me.  It is fun, it is entertaining, it gave me lots of personal time to bond with my daughter and I met some really good people. 

The floor/stage design of this tour is different.  It is a smaller area so you are never too far away from stage.  And you can see the video board from back farther anyway.  So if that is what you want to see, cool.  If you want to be right up close,,, cool.  It is a personal experience.  There is no right or wrong....

Most venues Ive been to make this the unofficial line.  It makes it easy for them and like in Chicago, they don't have to do much other than open the gate and point to the entrance.  Head of Security in Chicago supported the queue 100% and even stood up for it when three girls tried to crash it on night 4.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
I just got so sick of it after 360. I have seen people put their buddies on the list ahead of everyone else. I have seen a girl bump another girl off the rail and scream, "This is my spot!!" when the first girl got it fair and square during "the run." I dont see that camaraderie with fans that everyone speaks of... I've seen people lie about where they were going to head once inside just to detract people from going to the same spot (ie, "I'm headed for the outer rail because the main stage is too high. That's the best place to view them, you know." And then they head straight for the main stage when the gates open.)

I dont know. It's ridiculous.

There are great things about being on the rail, for sure. But there are some people who would never give it up for anyone who has never experienced it. And they would run over their own mothers to get to a spot on the rail. I do not deny the rail is great. I have been there under Bono's mic in E. Lansing. It was awesome. But honestly, I'd rather give people who havent been there the experience than keep hogging it for myself.

What I'm saying is you can still get pretty damned close if you dont queue at all. Especially on this tour. So I'm done with it.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
* There are many great U2 people out there. Not saying everyone is bad. I have met a lot of great people from this forum.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2015, 11:22:14 AM »
I know The Forum was not going to honor the unofficial line and I heard that they told the line people that if someone walked up at 6:00 and got in front of the line, so be it.

It depends on the tour. 360, Minneapolis, I got right in front of Adam on the rail. The main reason was because they let us in on Edge"s side and the crowd gathered there. It wasn't because I chose to experience spending a day in the line. After that I decided that I would not do that again.

Denver 1&2 I didn't spend the day in line and was close enough.

Chicago 1, spent a little time in the line, which I didn't really want to do, but it wasn't a bad experience. Plus I was three back from the E stage.

I have seats for NYC so I'm not going to have to think about it.

I really don't care for the line organizers since it's not well coordinated and communicated about who will run it.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 11:29:03 AM »
I just got so sick of it after 360. I have seen people put their buddies on the list ahead of everyone else. I have seen a girl bump another girl off the rail and scream, "This is my spot!!" when the first girl got it fair and square during "the run." I dont see that camaraderie with fans that everyone speaks of... I've seen people lie about where they were going to head once inside just to detract people from going to the same spot (ie, "I'm headed for the outer rail because the main stage is too high. That's the best place to view them, you know." And then they head straight for the main stage when the gates open.)

I dont know. It's ridiculous.

There are great things about being on the rail, for sure. But there are some people who would never give it up for anyone who has never experienced it. And they would run over their own mothers to get to a spot on the rail. I do not deny the rail is great. I have been there under Bono's mic in E. Lansing. It was awesome. But honestly, I'd rather give people who havent been there the experience than keep hogging it for myself.

What I'm saying is you can still get pretty damned close if you dont queue at all. Especially on this tour. So I'm done with it.

Totally get all of that. But interestingly enough, I didn't see too much of that drama in the two Chicago shows that I attended in GA, personally. Most people were respectful and friendly and that made running for the rail and spots all the more better. Heck, I didn't exactly see every one of the people who usually gun for those spots at the very front either, which tells me they're either spreading out or whatever. Either way, I didn't consider it too much of an issue during showtime.

That being said, I do agree with acrobatnation that the start of Night 4's line was crazy. I happened to be there as well and the fact that things like a second list being started and someone asking security intervene did add some unnecessary drama to the process. It reminded me a lot of some of the stuff that happened on 360 and, like everyone else there, I was just happy to see it resolved without much more of an incident. There's some nitpicky things that I would point out as being unwelcome as well, but thankfully it wasn't too much of an issue for me later on. I could do without the drama most every time, but it certainly didn't take away from me enjoying the show (which is why we're there, right?)

Yeah... I get it.  I've seen U2 (War and UF tours) where I was in the nose bleed sections and U2 were like tiny figures... My vision isn't the greatest anyway... My pictures were bad too.  Starting in JT,,, I started Queing.  The fun isn't even in the final spot on the floor.  I've met some of my closest friends in the queue.  It is like tailgating before a football game... And I've been in the "crowd",,,, where it was all good.  Once I did get against the rail / stage,,, I have to say, it is great because you can lean on it.  You don't have people in front of you, etc.  Many don't see this as important and I don't argue that point of view.  For me,,,, closer is better.  My 13 year old was with me and had a perfect view.  She is still talking about how Adam and Bono looked at her,,,, "they looked at me, Dad!!!"  "Bono pointed at me"... Awesome... It is a personal experience.  Once I get sick of dealing with it,, I won't do it.  For now,,, it is worth it to me.  It is fun, it is entertaining, it gave me lots of personal time to bond with my daughter and I met some really good people. 

The floor/stage design of this tour is different.  It is a smaller area so you are never too far away from stage.  And you can see the video board from back farther anyway.  So if that is what you want to see, cool.  If you want to be right up close,,, cool.  It is a personal experience.  There is no right or wrong....

That's the part that makes me come back to it too... meeting new people and seeing old faces, and most importantly, having a good time with them. I had the same guys next to me at Chicago 4 that were there during Chicago 1, and along with some older faces, we had a blast standing there in front of the stage and seeing the guys do their thing. And like I said, that's what it should be all about in the end...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:31:31 AM by trevgreg »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
Well, I hope you got to see Chicago while you were in town too. I think it's a waste of a trip somewhere else to spend your whole time in a city just sitting in a line. If I end up going to Europe for U2, you can bet I will NOT be sitting in a line all day. Fans are great, but there's a big wide world out there to see. It's great that U2 inspires us to travel to places we've not been, but we should also enjoy a bit of the local flavor. (Chicago has amazing restaurants, btw.)

My dream is to see the band in Berlin. I will be enjoying Berlin and seeing U2 will be the highlight for sure. But I'm not sitting in a line all day. Screw that.

While in Chicago, I:

- Went on an architecture boat tour.
- Biked the path along Lakeshore Road.
- Visited a ton of vinyl shops and bought 4 Patti Smith records (and a few others).
- Tried a new restaurant every day.
- Walked the Magnificent Mile.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:39:26 AM by MarsGirl »

Offline acrobatnation

• Wanderer
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2015, 11:42:19 AM »
Exactly.. I met people on night 1 and hung with them the entire 4 days. Guy from Dubai who was hilarious!  Another one from Brazil... Another one who was 19! A mere kid.  That kid had more character than 1/2 the men I know.  I hope my 15 year old grows to be like that at 19... I'm a middle aged white dude from the US who never would have met these people if not for U2.  And I came to love them in 4 days.  Remarkable.  I will keep in touch with them and have made new friends, rooted in love of U2 but more importantly, rooted in things U2 stand for.  Sure, there are some bad apples that try to spoil the bunch but they are so few and far in between... That is what the U2 que does for me.  If I buy a ticket, show up at time of show,,, I miss all of that.  I walk in 15 mins before show time and I leave afterwards.  Nothing ventured and nothing gained. 

I shared my rail spot over the 4 days... I even gave up a spot in line so I could be with my daughter who had a lower spot somehow.  If you come early, stay in line and do the time, you earn it.  If you don't want to or can't, well then I get that.  I've been in that spot many times in 55 shows.  But I don't blame those who come early and fight for prime real estate.  By now, All U2 fans who que and go to shows know how it works.  It comes down to choices for me.  I choose the que.  And it doesn't really matter where in line I am although I do prefer close.... I feel my eyes are watching the biggest band ever.  Bigger than the Beatles.  And some day,, they won't be around and people will wake up and realize what U2 were.

Offline acrobatnation

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »
Hahahaha... I've seen Chicago.  In fact, you are right.  Chicago is a fun, awesome city.  My second favorite.

BUT,,, I came to see U2. 

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2015, 11:49:21 AM »
I'm just over it. This whole thread started talking about drama. The first post gave me that seriously sick feeling in my stomach that I get when I think about the GA line and all the stress. And THAT is why I won't deal with it. It's not worth it for "prime real estate."

And I wouldnt say that I didnt have "prime real estate" at any of my shows... I'm good with being the second row from the rail or the third. Or even like 5-6 rows back like I was at Chicago 2. What I'm saying is that I no longer care. Anywhere on the floor is great and I'm happy. It's not worth it to me to feel sick or stressed out as I watch people who love a band treat each other as competition for "prime real estate."

I'm tired of the ridiculousness of it all.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »
I've seen a bunch of other bands from GA. The Killers, Paramore, twenty one pilots, among others.

NONE of them are as crazy about the line as U2 fans. Those fans stay out all day and if you're not willing to you lose your spot in line.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
I'm just over it. This whole thread started talking about drama. The first post gave me that seriously sick feeling in my stomach that I get when I think about the GA line and all the stress. And THAT is why I won't deal with it. It's not worth it for "prime real estate."

And I wouldnt say that I didnt have "prime real estate" at any of my shows... I'm good with being the second row from the rail or the third. Or even like 5-6 rows back like I was at Chicago 2. What I'm saying is that I no longer care. Anywhere on the floor is great and I'm happy. It's not worth it to me to feel sick or stressed out as I watch people who love a band treat each other as competition for "prime real estate."

I'm tired of the ridiculousness of it all.
My intent with this thread/post was to give an insight to those who have never done the line before.  It was to save certain folk who, as you say, may not want to deal with the drama.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
I will add that the GA line mess has actually ruined U2 for a few of my very good friends... They are so destroyed by the pettiness and terrible behavior that they are honestly done with U2. I hate that U2 gets associated with the bad behavior of a minority of its fans. Thankfully, that has not happened to me and it won't. And my mind is especially free because I havent even touched any of it this tour. Chicago I was so completely removed from the drama that I was free and had the best time I've had since early 360 shows.