Author Topic: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.  (Read 7161 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will add that the GA line mess has actually ruined U2 for a few of my very good friends... They are so destroyed by the pettiness and terrible behavior that they are honestly done with U2. I hate that U2 gets associated with the bad behavior of a minority of its fans. Thankfully, that has not happened to me and it won't. And my mind is especially free because I havent even touched any of it this tour. Chicago I was so completely removed from the drama that I was free and had the best time I've had since early 360 shows.

You are correct on that.  This was my first time doing floor for a tour.  I've seen them on Vertigo/360.  I had no idea people would get nuts about the floor, or that some of the really dedicated fans are complete tools.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »
I've taken enough trips to Chicago where I've seen the main spots or visited people, so I'm not too picky on having to do different things while I'm there. Like acrobatnation, it centered primarily around the show this time, so I was fine with devoting a lot of time to hanging out with the fans (or trying to meet some of the band, which actually happened this time, haha).

But still... I did take some time the day before the Chicago 4 show though to visit a few spots, including a shopping destination and a record store in Wicker Park. I also took a few hours that afternoon to visit an old friend at a brewery and catch up. We even went on a tour of that with another friend of hers, which was pretty interesting! I did something similar for the L.A. show that I went to, which I had seats for. I mostly went not just to check out the video screen from a decent seat, but also to see some family and friends and visit a few spots while down there. Again, it's what you want to do with your time down there.

Exactly.. I met people on night 1 and hung with them the entire 4 days. Guy from Dubai who was hilarious!  Another one from Brazil... Another one who was 19! A mere kid.  That kid had more character than 1/2 the men I know.  I hope my 15 year old grows to be like that at 19... I'm a middle aged white dude from the US who never would have met these people if not for U2.  And I came to love them in 4 days.  Remarkable.  I will keep in touch with them and have made new friends, rooted in love of U2 but more importantly, rooted in things U2 stand for.  Sure, there are some bad apples that try to spoil the bunch but they are so few and far in between... That is what the U2 que does for me.  If I buy a ticket, show up at time of show,,, I miss all of that.  I walk in 15 mins before show time and I leave afterwards.  Nothing ventured and nothing gained. 

I shared my rail spot over the 4 days... I even gave up a spot in line so I could be with my daughter who had a lower spot somehow.  If you come early, stay in line and do the time, you earn it.  If you don't want to or can't, well then I get that.  I've been in that spot many times in 55 shows.  But I don't blame those who come early and fight for prime real estate.  By now, All U2 fans who que and go to shows know how it works.  It comes down to choices for me.  I choose the que.  And it doesn't really matter where in line I am although I do prefer close.... I feel my eyes are watching the biggest band ever.  Bigger than the Beatles.  And some day,, they won't be around and people will wake up and realize what U2 were.

You met the Dubai guy too! Yeah, he was a riot and very nice on top of it. Those experiences do make the time pass a lot easier and you get a few new friends out of the deal sometimes too. And like you said, they won't be around forever, so you might as well make use of your time the best way you feel you need to...

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2015, 12:08:57 PM »
I guess it's just perspective... I think that you can visit a city a million times and still never run out of things to see/do.

Well, unless it's Cleveland.

Haha. I'm the only one allowed to make that joke. I'm from Cleveland. The rest of you, shut up. :P

But seriously, I have personally decided that waiting in a line all day, especially for this tour, is pointless. I guess it also helps that 1) I went with my husband to all the Chicago shows, and 2) I already have some of the best U2 friends a person can have. I have a few friends from the forum with whom I've met up and I've got a few really good friends who I see on a regular basis who are huge fans. I was with one of these friends in Chicago. So I guess I dont feel I need the extra fraternization.

(And I didnt even get to see all the friends who were there who I wanted to see!!)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »
I guess it's just perspective... I think that you can visit a city a million times and still never run out of things to see/do.

Oh, definitely. That's actually part of what made Sunday enjoyable for me, since I was doing a few things in the city which I hadn't done before or been to yet. The fraternizing is only one part of the equation re: the line, but it was terrific meeting new people and seeing older ones who I hadn't thought I'd see again since 360. The last tour was the first one where I was able to mingle with the fans a bit more than normal, so it was cool to see it come full circle in a few ways at these shows now. As you mentioned, it's all what you want to get personally out of these trips.

(and see... no Cleveland jokes! ;) )

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »

Oh, definitely. That's actually part of what made Sunday enjoyable for me, since I was doing a few things in the city which I hadn't done before or been to yet. The fraternizing is only one part of the equation re: the line, but it was terrific meeting new people and seeing older ones who I hadn't thought I'd see again since 360. The last tour was the first one where I was able to mingle with the fans a bit more than normal, so it was cool to see it come full circle in a few ways at these shows now. As you mentioned, it's all what you want to get personally out of these trips.

(and see... no Cleveland jokes! ;) )

Haha, to be fair, I could probably still find things for people to do in Cleveland that they might not have done before. Plus, if you like beer, I've got a ton of suggestions on that front... ;)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »

Haha. I'm the only one allowed to make that joke. I'm from Cleveland. The rest of you, shut up. :P

But seriously, I have personally decided that waiting in a line all day, especially for this tour, is pointless. I guess it also helps that 1) I went with my husband to all the Chicago shows, and 2) I already have some of the best U2 friends a person can have. I have a few friends from the forum with whom I've met up and I've got a few really good friends who I see on a regular basis who are huge fans. I was with one of these friends in Chicago. So I guess I dont feel I need the extra fraternization.

(And I didnt even get to see all the friends who were there who I wanted to see!!)

One of these days, MG!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »

One of these days, MG!

Yeah, I'm really sorry I missed you!! You should drive a little further and come to Cleveland for 2016. Cuz, like. You know they are going to play Cleveland THIS time!

Also, I'd probably go to Chicago again. Fun town, great time.

I've also been known to show up for Denver. Haha.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2015, 12:37:55 PM »
or everyone just come down to the ATL  ;)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »

I've never been to Atlanta, so I would need LOTS of sight-seeing tips!! :)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »
Haha, to be fair, I could probably still find things for people to do in Cleveland that they might not have done before. Plus, if you like beer, I've got a ton of suggestions on that front... ;)

I'll keep that in mind! I've only been to Ohio twice and that was just driving through on the same trip, which is odd since my parents happened to get married there. Would like to go back sometime and see it properly!

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »

Ken would of course be your guide to my wonderful city!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2015, 01:19:32 PM »

Yay!! I hope I have money in 2016. Atlanta is on my hit list.

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »

it is a great city for a concert! The oasis of the southeast

Offline JohnInAthens

• Refugee
  • atU2 Staff - Venue Archaeologist
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2015, 10:39:11 PM »

Don't forget to make the short journey east to visit the wonderful city of Athens!

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2015, 10:46:04 PM »

Don't forget to make the short journey east to visit the wonderful city of Athens!
ah how could I forget the Mecca of college football! also an amazing music city