Author Topic: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.  (Read 7167 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: GA Line Advice: Do not trust the line Nazis.
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2015, 10:01:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
or everyone just come down to the ATL  ;)

I've never been to Atlanta, so I would need LOTS of sight-seeing tips!! :)
Ken would of course be your guide to my wonderful city!

Yay!! I hope I have money in 2016. Atlanta is on my hit list.
it is a great city for a concert! The oasis of the southeast

Don't forget to make the short journey east to visit the wonderful city of Athens!

Home of R.E.M., right?

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
or everyone just come down to the ATL  ;)

I've never been to Atlanta, so I would need LOTS of sight-seeing tips!! :)
Ken would of course be your guide to my wonderful city!

Yay!! I hope I have money in 2016. Atlanta is on my hit list.
it is a great city for a concert! The oasis of the southeast

Don't forget to make the short journey east to visit the wonderful city of Athens!

Home of R.E.M., right?
yes ma'am!

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »

I guess it's just perspective... I think that you can visit a city a million times and still never run out of things to see/do.

Well, unless it's Cleveland.

Haha. I'm the only one allowed to make that joke. I'm from Cleveland. The rest of you, shut up. :P

But seriously, I have personally decided that waiting in a line all day, especially for this tour, is pointless. I guess it also helps that 1) I went with my husband to all the Chicago shows, and 2) I already have some of the best U2 friends a person can have. I have a few friends from the forum with whom I've met up and I've got a few really good friends who I see on a regular basis who are huge fans. I was with one of these friends in Chicago. So I guess I dont feel I need the extra fraternization.

(And I didnt even get to see all the friends who were there who I wanted to see!!)

One of these days, MG!

Yeah, I'm really sorry I missed you!! You should drive a little further and come to Cleveland for 2016. Cuz, like. You know they are going to play Cleveland THIS time!

Also, I'd probably go to Chicago again. Fun town, great time.

I've also been known to show up for Denver. Haha.

I was really bummed that I didn't catch up with you after Chicago 2, just to say hi! And I left the next day.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »

I guess it's just perspective... I think that you can visit a city a million times and still never run out of things to see/do.

Well, unless it's Cleveland.

Haha. I'm the only one allowed to make that joke. I'm from Cleveland. The rest of you, shut up. :P

But seriously, I have personally decided that waiting in a line all day, especially for this tour, is pointless. I guess it also helps that 1) I went with my husband to all the Chicago shows, and 2) I already have some of the best U2 friends a person can have. I have a few friends from the forum with whom I've met up and I've got a few really good friends who I see on a regular basis who are huge fans. I was with one of these friends in Chicago. So I guess I dont feel I need the extra fraternization.

(And I didnt even get to see all the friends who were there who I wanted to see!!)

One of these days, MG!

Yeah, I'm really sorry I missed you!! You should drive a little further and come to Cleveland for 2016. Cuz, like. You know they are going to play Cleveland THIS time!

Also, I'd probably go to Chicago again. Fun town, great time.

I've also been known to show up for Denver. Haha.

I was really bummed that I didn't catch up with you after Chicago 2, just to say hi! And I left the next day.

Ugh. I should have told my group to stop by. I was afraid of the hype about the neighborhood and wanted to get on the train before everyone left the area... I realized later that it wasnt so bad... Next time!! You know I'm always up for Denver to see U2. I feel like Denver is my second home!

Offline Pixie1121

• Wanderer
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »
Really, I don't understand this whole line thing. I have tickets for my boyfriend and I to NYC3 and 4. Night 3 is GA and 4 we have seats. We are arriving from out of town the night before so that we ( and by "we" I mean me) can get in line early (and by early I mean somewhere between 10AM-12PM). I've been on the rail for many many concerts but never a U2 concert and I'm hoping this will finally be the one. I don't see the need to be there at 4AM especially with the stage set-up. I am a little disappointed that I will lose a day seeing the city by sitting in line but I can make it up the next day when we have seats, I suppose.

Why can't people just arrive when they want to and park their ass on the concrete like a normal person? Do the Europeans do this? Or is it strictly an entitled American thing?

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2015, 04:26:00 AM »
Really, I don't understand this whole line thing. I have tickets for my boyfriend and I to NYC3 and 4. Night 3 is GA and 4 we have seats. We are arriving from out of town the night before so that we ( and by "we" I mean me) can get in line early (and by early I mean somewhere between 10AM-12PM). I've been on the rail for many many concerts but never a U2 concert and I'm hoping this will finally be the one. I don't see the need to be there at 4AM especially with the stage set-up. I am a little disappointed that I will lose a day seeing the city by sitting in line but I can make it up the next day when we have seats, I suppose.

Why can't people just arrive when they want to and park their ass on the concrete like a normal person? Do the Europeans do this? Or is it strictly an entitled American thing?

Ouch! Well there were lists for 360 in Canada. I don't know if that counts as being an entitled American thing, unless you count all of North America.

I get that the list is a huge pain. I am not a fan of the list. At work I always stress to people to always assume positive intent. The lists were originally started as a means of keeping order in GA lines. Trust me I was there back in the day. Sadly there are good experiences and bad. And yes it got way out of hand with 360 with people starting the list in other cities for a host of reasons we don't have to get into.

This tour seems far less manic about that. Arena provide more shows and the stage provides tons of rail space.  Lots of people are getting great views by arriving when the doors open. I would say stand in line if you really, really have a place that you must be such as E stage left,. etc. If not, then by all means enjoy the host city and above all, have a good time!

Smee

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2015, 07:58:37 AM »
For the Glasgow gigs....im planning turning up about 1 hr before the gig..and just sauntering in to GA. Unlike many, Im more interested in getting the best place for sound, more than the best views.

Offline acrobatnation

• Wanderer
  • Shout for JOY if you get the chance
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »
Great points by all... I think do what works for you, what you want to do.  There is no "right" or "wrong" here.  If you want to walk in at showtime, perfect.  The floor holds 2000 people.  If you need to be close for whatever reason,,, you have to put a little more time into it.  It isn't for everyone.  It doesn't mean it is wrong for those who do.  Just like if your "over it",,, that doesn't mean your not a 'true fan'.  The older I get, the more the camping out and queing is getting harder to do.  Someday, I may be 'over it' too...

I do with the person who started the thread; line "nazis" seemed to have taken over this process of queing and made it suit them and their closest.  In Miami, I tried to fight it way back (like Joshua Tree!) with security, saying then the venue says line starts at 6 am, that should be when we line up.  Unfortunately, I lost.  Security sides with the unofficial list.  It is hard to argue and fight when there are 300 people lined up vs. the silent majority.  So I have learned how to play their game.  Don't agree with it.  Hate the rules.  Most of all, hate the secrecy.  Tell everyone when the que starts and then whomever wants to show early, can.  To say "uhhhh not sure when it will start.  Show up at uhhhh, 5pm day before show" only to then show up and find out he had been there since 6am pi**ed me off.  That type of stuff is what makes it not worth it...

Offline Belisama

« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »
It is with great amusement that I report just having come from the arena in Toronto. There is a line at the gate of about 30 people. . . . for Imagine Dragons.

I have started the list and am chilling in downtown Toronto, enjoying the CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame etc.  And yes, I am just kidding. It is a gorgeous day here in Canada hope we all get out there to enjoy it. Let's all just Breathe. ;)

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
Went to four Chicago shows... Night 1 and 2 were ran by the same person.  He left the show before the encore so he could do the list.  He had a piece of scratch paper with lists of people who were his friends (who remained in the show mind you) and that is how he "officially" started the list for night 2.  He also made so many ridiculous check ins.  Like its Midnight after night 1 and he demands we all come back at 5am to check in.  Crazy...

Night 3 was started after night 2.  There was like 35 people waiting to be put on the list.  Guy who ran night 1 and 2 was freaking out because some other people started the list and he wasn't included.  He literally threw a hissy fit.  People running night 3 stayed there for 2 full days to make sure people who came were signed up and given info.  It ran smoothly.  Only issues were with the click group from night 1 and 2...

Night 4 was even more entertaining.... Someone who didn't go to Night 3 started the list at 8:30.  Guy from night 1 came out again, before end of the show with his personal list.  When he found out someone else started the list, he went nuts.  His whole group went nuts.  Some girl claiming to be all "peace and love" was ranting like an absolute maniac.  She was claiming the guys list was a fake and that it wasn't the real list.  I wish I videoed that because it was pretty entertaining.... Anyway, Night 4 list ended up being diplomatically consolidated and people managed it fairly.  Didn't see any issues.

Night 5 (July 2) was even more crazy.  A couple of teachers came in from Phoenix to start it.  The natives were really up in arms because they were going to do a text/phone in sign up and just leave a sign at the GA area... That is when times were added and information got changed around.  Seems like the people from night 1 and 2 were doing anything and everything to sabotage night 3-5 because they weren't running it....

The whole GA que is unfair and a joke.  There is no honor among thieves.  When asked when the que would start for Night 3, the guy running night 2 refused to say what time to show up to get a good spot.  He expected fans to just come back Saturday afternoon, knowing that he was going to come extra early so him and his pals could run it again.  A group beat him at his own game which was hilarious....  Should be rules that it cannot start until day before show and not before say, 10am in the time zone the show is.  That way everyone knows and whomever shows up early and wants to help,,, they can manage it.  To keep the info secretive is childish and unfair considering venues usually use the que list...

Anyway,,, the shows were amazing and worth it.  The entertainment value was priceless and my daughter got to see her first U2 show ever, meet the band and her life has been changed.  She can't stop talking about u2 to all her "Justin Bieber" friends and I love it.  The world needs more U2 fans!!!!
this is a brilliant post acrobatnation ,we went to all 5 shows in Chicago ,the first morning we turned up at 3-40 am they checked people in at 5am and we moved up 10 numbers so we ended up 66/67 that night we got the rail right in the middle of the runway .our friends who turned up 6 hrs after us and had 154/155 we right next to us on the rail.the second night we turned up at 10 am ended up with 102/103 and got the rail on the E stage right behind larry's dry kit which was amazing .We did seats night 3 so we didn't have that hassle . We did hear that the guys who were there nights 1/2 one of them was leaving the show at the end of the main set to start the line for the next show ,so missing the encore which seemed incredible to us how can you start a ga line with people still in the show .for the last two shows we decided to miss out all the argument and disagreements and turned up at 2pm both days ,Monday night we just moved around the north side and watched the show from many different points and had an amazing time and Thursday we actually seen the show from the second row of the main stage on Adams side and had an amazing time ,couldn't believe we watched the show from that close .all 5 shows were an amazing experience we got to watch the shows from 5 different perspectives and met some amazing people in the ga line ,had lots of laughs and avoided  the politics of the ga line stuff. I do think starting a GA line while people are still watching the show is just nothing more than making sure your at the top of the list and not in the spirit of U2 but it happens .i thought  the security at the united centre ,Alex I think was the guy did a great job and every GA line I was in when it was time to go in ran without any problems .now we have to deal with coming down from these amazing shows and for me and my wife that's the tour done with until hopefully next year if they come through Chicago again or close to .

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »
All I'm saying is that you don't need to queue at all and you can still be close. It depends on how you define "close." If close = only the rail, okay, then queue. But if close = near the stages or catwalk in general, then save yourself some time and come when doors open. Like I have said, I arrived at 6:00 all three nights in Chicago and was still close enough to see Bono sweat (and to get water sprayed on me by him). On the last night I was there, Chicago 4, I was third row for the e-stage which is STILL close enough to see the band or get noticed by the band if that is your end goal.

And, honestly, folks, on 360, I waited in line all day, sometimes starting the day before the show, and only ended up second row from the rail. So sometimes you can put in the time and STILL not get rail. I'm just saying... the time you put in does not necessarily guarantee you a rail spot. Though maybe on this tour it is more like given there is a lot more rail. Though, again, I lined up at 1pm both days in Vancouver and got rail.

I think I gave up on the whole thing after Moncton. Moncton was a last minute decision. My friends and I decided to go two days before the show, and ended up arriving on site just as the gates were opening. We were in the middle of the pit at the start of the show, then everyone crunched together forward and we ended up maybe 5-6 rows back from the stage. Regardless, I still had an awesome time and I felt close to the band.

I think the reason I pulled out of sitting in GA is that I didn't like what I became... Somewhere in the middle of 360, I started getting depressed at shows if I wasn't on the rail. And I had to have a come to Jesus moment with myself. It's about the music. I should just be happy to be at a show at all. If my position at the show is becoming more important than being at the show and hearing that live music, then what is that saying about me? I became as bad as the line nazis who can't handle being anywhere but on the rail. For my own mental health, I'm done.

Offline redsox04

• Babyface
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »
I'm baffled by this thread.  There are people unaffiliated with the band or the venue that think they can control how people queue up for GA?  And others put up with it?

Offline Bentleyspop

• Babyface
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2015, 03:13:58 PM »
I'm baffled by this thread.  There are people unaffiliated with the band or the venue that think they can control how people queue up for GA?  And others put up with it?

YES!!
and
YES!!

:o

Offline Belisama

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
We have yet to hear from someone who has run one of the lines. . . I would like to get that perspective if a brave soul dares to volunteer.

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
We have yet to hear from someone who has run one of the lines. . . I would like to get that perspective if a brave soul dares to volunteer.

Don't hold your breath.

I know a few of them have lurked on Interference during 360 and presumably do so here. For the last show in Moncton, there was this genius who didn't get the EXACT front rail spot he wanted, so he took it on himself to physically remove the poor woman who beat him to it. He did apologize online(should have been tossed from the show), but it's typical of the mindset many of them have = obsessive entitlement.