Author Topic: "Leave U2 Alone: Why did one of our best rock bands become so loathed?"  (Read 7678 times)

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
The biggest problem people I know seem to have with him is that he wears sunglasses indoors. The internet is whole different kettle of fish.

Offline Doming0

• Babyface
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
my guess is bono has a healthy IDGAF attitude

LOL yep.

U2 would never have succeeded this long without his "grating" personality.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
I guarantee you that if he was way quieter about things, he would not have made the impact he has from a humanitarian standpoint.  There's a reason he should have won the Nobel.

I think the guy is funnier than hell (periscope any current concert for current examples), he's also willing to be corny (periscope any current concert for current examples, e.g., his dad jokes), self depricating (Jimmy Fallon), but sure, he has an outsized ego.  His other "stuff" in the positive column outweighs the ego for me, but I can see how it'd rub some the wrong way if they don't appreciate the whole context and package, especially including the underlying message of the music which is very consistent with the humanitarian work.

If you can't get past the ego, I still can't quite get over how willing haters are to go out of their way to go onto u2 sites or twitter or whatever and express their hate.  Coldplay is better lately, but in their "Paradise" days I simply couldn't stand them.  Have I ever bothered posting a thing about Chris Martin or the band, even though Chris Martin is kind of obnoxious and strange?  No.  (Well, ok, I just did I guess).

I agree with other posters, hate them for their music or for Bono's voice, or whatever, but hate them for their humanitarian work? Or cuz Bono wears sunglasses?  Or cuz they are cool to hate?  Like with the SOI release, PLEASE get over it all of you haters with first world problems!

P.S.  Speaking of legitimate reasons to not like a band, case in point my 17 year old.  Dragged him to a 360 when he was 12.  He was madder than hell at me.  Had to begrudgingly admit it as a cool light show.  Fast forward 5 years, the kid routinely plays WOWY, NYD, etc. on the bass.  Told me they are the best band out there, with the best music, and he'd listen to them all the time, but he just doesn't care for Bono's voice.  That's legit.  If we could have more of that. 

I don't think many can argue what Bono has accomplished from a humanitarian standpoint. I think simply put, It's his overall approach to things and how he presents himself that grates people. It's so ego driven and the guy just never goes away. I think if he did things just a little bit more behind the scenes then he wouldn't be so loathed. Take Adam as an example. Now of course he is not the front man but ever read an interview with him or hear him talk about his charity work or even their music?? He just comes across as so much more genuine and honest and not spot light driven. His entire approach is so much better. And quite frankly, he is just so much cooler. Bono just tries too hard all the time and is a self acknowledged megalomaniac. For me, I try to separate my current feelings about Bono from the music but admittedly, it is hard sometimes to do that.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
It's the market saturation they usually go for with new albums, plus the simplistic view of the band in mass media and Bono is the big cherry head on the icing. I always like Bono a lot more in personal interviews and informal conversations.
I hate his rehearsed soundbites and belt-sanded quips on television and quick interviews. Plus I hate when they give band interviews, as they tend to become a diplomatic delegation of the brand rather than human beings.

Offline Bantering ram

• Headache in a Suitcase
It was a good article but I was a little surprised at the premise.

U2 has one major 'problem' - Bono.

Or to be fairer and more accurate, how people perceive Bono....and that has bled through to how people feel about the bands music, the band collectively and individually and everything associated with U2.

He is a hugely divisive figure, a figure who attracts so much derision and hate, and of course from fans so much love....

I am not saying it is right, but it is how it is - people hate Bono, and by extension people hate U2.

Really?  "Hugely divisive"? 

Who actually hates U2 or Bono?  Except for a few millennial UK hipsters writing for music blogs, I only ever hear of enormous fans (here), mild fans who don't keep up with new stuff but "like that song Mary J sings with Bono," or indifference.

Seriously? Whoah....that is possibly the most astounding thing I've ever heard. Unless of course, you're typing your contributions from a desert island or your name happens to be Guggi but still, both of these scenarios seem more conceivable to me than obliviousness to Bono hate.

I live/work in Manchester (U.K.), surrounded by a diverse mix of weird and wonderful folk (arguably a representative sample of 'normal people') but one of the most unifying themes across the majority I know, is a hatred (or at best, distaste) of Bono.

Whether it's the music, pompousness, preaching, itunes thing etc it's clear there are many sources from which to throw out some hate at this larger than average target. What's possibly the biggest Bono of contention (and what I find most difficult to defend against) is the huge level of hypocrisy he oozes: preaching regularly on the virtues of equality when his lavish lifestyle (despite being generous) epitomizes the gaping divide between the rich and the poor.

I hasten to add I'm a massive U2 fan, but I can empathize with some of the anti-Bono sentiments out there.

Offline Streets

• Stateless
  • I hear voices, ridiculous voices.
Arrogance is when you think you're better than everyone else. Megalomania is when you want to be better than everyone else. I'll take megalomania.

When I was in college during the 360 tour, my friends were fairly indifferent to U2. When I told them I saw U2 last night, their response was, "Oh, that sounds cool. How was it?" Some have said they saw U2 in concert too, and they said it was pretty good. I even saw one guy my age walking around with a U2360 shirt. I might be living on an island or I might have super-polite friends, but I think the consensus I got at my college (medium-sized, in a medium-sized city) was that U2 are kind of cool but old geezers.

I lurk on another forum that has nothing to do with any kind of music. About the time that the SOI Apple release came out, I saw a new thread: "U2..." I go, Uh-oh, a bashing thread. Gingerly, I open it up. It reads, "If you like U2, there's a new album for free on iTunes! Go download it!" A number of posters, mostly the regulars, pop in with, "I love U2! Thanks for the heads-up! Listening now!" Granted, most of the folks on that forum are middle-aged, and a lot of them are Springsteen fans, but I do think U2 is well-liked among the general populace. It's the haters who all have something to say, or maybe some internet trolls who don't really know a lot about U2 but jumped onboard the hater boat. I know before I was a fan I couldn't stand U2 and was sick of seeing them referenced everywhere. Then I decided to go give it a listen to see what the fuss was all about.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
I think there are some astute comments in here about how ability attracts criticism.

+ Americans admire success whereas Europeans resent it and envy it. hence the high taxes.

That's not universally true or even mostly true.  Hence 99% movements in the U.S.

I says it is

Except see, e.g., hatred of Wall Street, of Lebron James, of the New England Patriots, of Congress, of Monsanto, of the pretty girl in school, of David Hasselhoff...

need I go on?

:)

I'm not convinced. sorry
neither am I.  that was a weak list to put it mildly.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
Arrogance is when you think you're better than everyone else. Megalomania is when you want to be better than everyone else. I'll take megalomania.

Let me correct you:

Arrogance is when you think you're better than everyone else. Megalomania is when you are convinced you are better than everyone else.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:45:24 AM by SlyDanner »

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
Who actually hates U2 or Bono?  Except for a few millennial UK hipsters writing for music blogs, I only ever hear of enormous fans (here), mild fans who don't keep up with new stuff but "like that song Mary J sings with Bono," or indifference.
I live/work in Manchester (U.K.), surrounded by a diverse mix of weird and wonderful folk (arguably a representative sample of 'normal people') but one of the most unifying themes across the majority I know, is a hatred (or at best, distaste) of Bono.

No offense, but you basically just made my point.

Offline Bantering ram

• Headache in a Suitcase

No offense, but you basically just made my point.

Sorry, I'm not following. Were you making the point that the U.K. is exclusively occupied by millennial hipsters working for music blogs? I'd hope you have more 'diversity' around your area than what you're inferring about my home.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
I decided to run a little poll today....

Part of my job is to hold 1-2-1 meetings with sales managers to discuss their teams performance so I decided to ask each person I met with today (13 of them) what they thought of Bono....

Here are the results:

1 person - he's cool, I like u2
6 people - he's a d**k (or some other less than flattering phrase)
3 people - who is Bono? (youngest of the sample) with 2 of them u2 didn't register either, the other said 'u2 are an old school band aren't they, my dad used to listen to them, they sang losing my religion didn't they'
2 people - he was ok in the 80s but annoys me with his charity work now, are u2 still going.
1 person - He is dead isn't he?

The age range was 21-45

12 men, 1 woman.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:04:05 AM by an tha »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone

Part of my job is to hold 1-2-1 meetings with sales managers to discuss their teams performance so I decided to ask each person I met with today (13 of them) what they thought of Bono....

Here are the results:

3 people - who is Bono? (youngest of the sample) with 2 of them u2 didn't register either, the other said 'u2 are an old school band aren't they, my dad used to listen to them, they sang losing my religion didn't they'
2 people - he was ok in the 80s but annoys me with his charity work now, are u2 still going.

The age range was 21-45

12 men, 1 woman.

That is funny.  In your next meetings you should get more specific:

Do you like his orange hair?
How about the blue shades?
How do you think if he went Birkenstock instead of Frye boots?  Sub-question, if 'yes', socks or no socks?  Maybe socks only for German shows?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.

Here are the results:

The age range was 21-45

12 men, 1 woman.

How do you think if he went Birkenstock instead of Frye boots?  Sub-question, if 'yes', socks or no socks?  Maybe socks only for German shows?

Ha, you should sit in we could do a weeks worth.

Invite the Q's from here and quiz away.

Much better than actual work

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone

Here are the results:

The age range was 21-45

12 men, 1 woman.

Ha, you should sit in we could do a weeks worth.

Invite the Q's from here and quiz away.

Much better than actual work

it would feel like an episode of The Office... the UK (real) version....

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
Everyone here, for the most part has had some very articulate points regarding this topic and I can appreciate that. I have loved the band for 35+ years. Over the years to be totally honest, Bono has just worn me out,  as the allure is mostly gone. I really appreciate the correction on the megalomania definition Slydancer because it is that character trait that has killed it for me. I still immensely enjoy their music and he does get an awful lot done being an ego maniac.  But I'll keep it very very elementary for a minute....the guy needs to go away for a while or as I mentioned, hang out with Adam even more!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:06:56 PM by Mr. Red »