Author Topic: "Leave U2 Alone: Why did one of our best rock bands become so loathed?"  (Read 7564 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I decided to run a little poll today....

Part of my job is to hold 1-2-1 meetings with sales managers to discuss their teams performance so I decided to ask each person I met with today (13 of them) what they thought of Bono....

Here are the results:

1 person - he's cool, I like u2
6 people - he's a d**k (or some other less than flattering phrase)
3 people - who is Bono? (youngest of the sample) with 2 of them u2 didn't register either, the other said 'u2 are an old school band aren't they, my dad used to listen to them, they sang losing my religion didn't they'
2 people - he was ok in the 80s but annoys me with his charity work now, are u2 still going.
1 person - He is dead isn't he?

The age range was 21-45

12 men, 1 woman.

That is funny.  In your next meetings you should get more specific:

Do you like his orange hair?
How about the blue shades?
How do you think if he went Birkenstock instead of Frye boots?  Sub-question, if 'yes', socks or no socks?  Maybe socks only for German shows?

Ha, you should sit in we could do a weeks worth.

Invite the Q's from here and quiz away.

Much better than actual work

it would feel like an episode of The Office... the UK (real) version....

It's a fair point, Gareth.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Part of my job is to hold 1-2-1 meetings with sales managers to discuss their teams performance so I decided to ask each person I met with today (13 of them) what they thought of Bono....

Here are the results:

3 people - who is Bono? (youngest of the sample) with 2 of them u2 didn't register either, the other said 'u2 are an old school band aren't they, my dad used to listen to them, they sang losing my religion didn't they'
2 people - he was ok in the 80s but annoys me with his charity work now, are u2 still going.

The age range was 21-45

12 men, 1 woman.

That is funny.  In your next meetings you should get more specific:

Do you like his orange hair?
How about the blue shades?
How do you think if he went Birkenstock instead of Frye boots?  Sub-question, if 'yes', socks or no socks?  Maybe socks only for German shows?

Ha, you should sit in we could do a weeks worth.

Invite the Q's from here and quiz away.

Much better than actual work

it would feel like an episode of The Office... the UK (real) version....

It's a fair point, Gareth.

Gareth Keenan Invetigates.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight

Here are the results:

The age range was 21-45

12 men, 1 woman.

doesnt surprise me. and i love the REM mix up. thats funny.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
My father asked me the other day, knowing I had went down to Chicago to see them twice, "How was 'YouTube'?"

I honestly don't know if he was joking or not.

hrsan

Here are the results:

The age range was 21-45

12 men, 1 woman.

Who gets annoyed by charity work?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
A lot of people hate being told where they should put their money by someone with lots.

As others have said, it doesn't have to be logical, but it's indisputable. There are plenty of people that 'hate' bono and by extension U2.

Of course they can't back it up with reasons (beyond 'he's a d**k') but they just know that they hate him. A lot.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
Just had a browse of the Apple music app for the first time. They create suggested playlists with cute intros. For their post punk U2 playlist, they have introduced it with Bono, before Bono was 'Bono'

Offline Nico

• Refugee
We like to polarise in our culture. U2 are very polarised with the amount of love and hate they get. Therefore our culture likes U2!

Offline reasons40

• Headache in a Suitcase
A lot of people hate being told where they should put their money by someone with lots.

As others have said, it doesn't have to be logical, but it's indisputable. There are plenty of people that 'hate' bono and by extension U2.

Of course they can't back it up with reasons (beyond 'he's a d**k') but they just know that they hate him. A lot.

True.

Nobody wants to listen to a high pressure infomercial in the place of music. And it doesn't take much for that infomercial persona to replace the rock star persona.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:29:14 AM by reasons40 »

iehomecoming

True.

Nobody wants to listen to a high pressure infomercial in the place of music. And it doesn't take much for that infomercial persona to replace the rock star persona.

Ah, you saw the Vertigo tour too then ?

;)

Offline This Dave

• Numb
I don't think many can argue what Bono has accomplished from a humanitarian standpoint. I think simply put, It's his overall approach to things and how he presents himself that grates people. It's so ego driven and the guy just never goes away. I think if he did things just a little bit more behind the scenes then he wouldn't be so loathed. Take Adam as an example. Now of course he is not the front man but ever read an interview with him or hear him talk about his charity work or even their music?? He just comes across as so much more genuine and honest and not spot light driven. His entire approach is so much better. And quite frankly, he is just so much cooler. Bono just tries too hard all the time and is a self acknowledged megalomaniac. For me, I try to separate my current feelings about Bono from the music but admittedly, it is hard sometimes to do that.

Nothing against Adam, but he's not a front man, and you'd never have heard of U2 if he were. He gets to be under the radar because Bono isn't.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
I don't think many can argue what Bono has accomplished from a humanitarian standpoint. I think simply put, It's his overall approach to things and how he presents himself that grates people. It's so ego driven and the guy just never goes away. I think if he did things just a little bit more behind the scenes then he wouldn't be so loathed. Take Adam as an example. Now of course he is not the front man but ever read an interview with him or hear him talk about his charity work or even their music?? He just comes across as so much more genuine and honest and not spot light driven. His entire approach is so much better. And quite frankly, he is just so much cooler. Bono just tries too hard all the time and is a self acknowledged megalomaniac. For me, I try to separate my current feelings about Bono from the music but admittedly, it is hard sometimes to do that.

Nothing against Adam, but he's not a front man, and you'd never have heard of U2 if he were. He gets to be under the radar because Bono isn't.

Adam's not the frontman so he doesn't have the big job of putting up a  front like Bono.   One of Adam's favorite songs is Lemon so as far as I'm concerned I can never ignore him from now on, haha!

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
The problem is Bono got bigger than the band and the music. He went from being cool and aloof to self righteous and obnoxious.

I have been a U2 fan for 30+ years and I love the "Band" but I cannot stand to listen to Bono and what he has to say any longer. I am an adult and I DO NOT need someone to preach to me at all times.

One thing I will say about this tour is it was refreshing not having to listen to him preach like he did on the Bomb tour. They just mostly played music for 2 and a half hours, imagine that, I got what I paid for.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:12:43 PM by U2OnceAgain »

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
The problem is Bono got bigger than the band and the music. He went from being cool and aloof to self righteous and obnoxious.

I have been a U2 fan for 30+ years and I love the "Band" but I cannot stand to listen to Bono and what he has to say any longer. I am an adult and I DO NOT need someone to preach to me at all times.

One thing I will say about this tour is it was refreshing not having to listen to him preach like he did on the Bomb tour. They just mostly played music for 2 and a half hours, imagine that, I got what I paid for.

I could't agree more which is why I wrote about just wanting him to go away! (Of course I understand he is the front man) But does it ever overlap for you when it comes to the band itself?? I'm curious because I was/am so worn out by him and his whole scene sometimes it taints my view of their work, etc.

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
Haha, then you guys don't remember 1988-'89 very well! There's a reason why I, the consummate fan since '82, like to call that album (and that era) "Throttle And Scum". And this comes from someone who even as I was privately veered between annoyance and outright being p***ed off  at them back then, still defended them publicly. By the tail end of LoveTown (which I dutifully followed via bootleg cassettes purchased from a company advertised via the ad section at the back of Rolling Stone) even I was sick of them.
Do your research on some of his favorite sayings in interviews and from the stage back then. It makes what he says today seem tame. Really. I could post a couple now, but leave that to you folks.

We've been here before, folks. Only we didn't have the Blessed Internet back then. It just magnifies the noise and intensifies and refines the level of the witch hunt. Honestly, if we did, their career might have petered out long ago--in the US, at least.