Author Topic: "Leave U2 Alone: Why did one of our best rock bands become so loathed?"  (Read 7621 times)

iehomecoming

ON stage, U2's preachiness peaked on the Vertigo tour.

Unless they were more preachy on the Boy, October or Lovetown tours, none of which I witnessed in person. 

Offline This Dave

• Numb
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ON stage, U2's preachiness peaked on the Vertigo tour.

Unless they were more preachy on the Boy, October or Lovetown tours, none of which I witnessed in person.

My impression from he clips I saw of the Vertigo tour was that Bono was starting to behave like the cartoon version of himself imagined by his detractors. When you're trying to explain to people that he doesn't actually make a speech about African hunger or whatever before every song, that doesn't help. In my opinion, there is a point where it takes away from the music in a way that causes more ill-will than it helps.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ;D

Offline This Dave

• Numb

You'll find no one who has defended them
more than me. But for at least some of that tour, he was doing what his haters accuse him of doing.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace

You'll find no one who has defended them
more than me. But for at least some of that tour, he was doing what his haters accuse him of doing.
lol to be honest i would agree with alot of what you said bono does tend to waffle a bit too much at times

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
The problem is Bono got bigger than the band and the music. He went from being cool and aloof to self righteous and obnoxious.

I have been a U2 fan for 30+ years and I love the "Band" but I cannot stand to listen to Bono and what he has to say any longer. I am an adult and I DO NOT need someone to preach to me at all times.

One thing I will say about this tour is it was refreshing not having to listen to him preach like he did on the Bomb tour. They just mostly played music for 2 and a half hours, imagine that, I got what I paid for.

I could't agree more which is why I wrote about just wanting him to go away! (Of course I understand he is the front man) But does it ever overlap for you when it comes to the band itself?? I'm curious because I was/am so worn out by him and his whole scene sometimes it taints my view of their work, etc.
Some great points here. There's that much bono worshipping in most threads that it is refreshing. Bono has a tendency of taking me to the brink of disliking the band, but always manages to bring me back round with great musical performances. When he shuts up and plays music everyone wins. Well apart from a tiny minority of crazies that love his political forced views and cheesy stage symbolism cliches etc.

The mask wearing at 360, the uniting of different religions on vertigo.. can blow it out of his ar*e for me... not interested and neither are 99% of paying customers that wish to just hear some of their favourite songs played live..
I think he is genuine,a man of conviction that likes to spread and promote the notion of his idealisms but in practice he is alienating and annoying people on the most part.
We all want peace on earth, but a sermon at a live u2 show won't achieve it.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
Plus taxes. Don't forget the taxes.. anyone mention taxes? ::)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still

Just kidding, before anyone puts a fist through a wall. But how does bono get to sleep at night with all those millions in his account, knowing that it could be saving lives?
He doesn't need all that money, not as much as the starving do. It's that old statistic of 10% of the population own 80% of the world's wealth. Well, no wonder people are starving in Africa. Now that's the cue to go and punch a wall.

SpookyElectric

Just kidding, before anyone puts a fist through a wall. But how does bono get to sleep at night with all those millions in his account, knowing that it could be saving lives?
He doesn't need all that money, not as much as the starving do.

How do you know he's not halfway to becoming a modern day St Francis of Assisi?

SpookyElectric

speaking of money and charity, here's a brilliant quote from Margaret thatcher

"No one would remember the good Samaritan if he'd only had good intentions; he had money as well." ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
speaking of money and charity, here's a brilliant quote from Margaret thatcher

"No one would remember the good Samaritan if he'd only had good intentions; he had money as well." ;)

Barf.

Offline markreed

• Numb
I heard that Larry timed the speeches, especially before "One", and gave Bono a very big bollocking after some of the shows for that. The speeches got shorter after they played Washington, for some reason...

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still

He doesn't need all that money, not as much as the starving do.

How do you know he's not halfway to becoming a modern day St Francis of Assisi?

I thought Bill gates was... but yes he could be... and if he hadn't gone down the hair transplant route he would look the part too.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
Re: "Leave U2 Alone: Why did one of our best rock bands become so loathed?"
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »
Give Bass Slap a cookie/beer/hug/mug of coffee/lots of cash everyone.