Author Topic: "Leave U2 Alone: Why did one of our best rock bands become so loathed?"  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Decent article.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

hrsan

It's easy to hit a target when it's as huge as U2.

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
Yeah, from the very same website that posted that "U2's Fall From Grace" article last fall, and it wasn't even their own writer, it was taken from some p*ssant little site nobody has heard of. They have great writers. I'd have understood it better of it was their opinion! Are they feeling guilty now methinks?

SpookyElectric

U2 aren't loathed, or hated or even disliked.  They're just not cool and for obvious reasons.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
U2 does not need to be 'cool' anymore. Remember, they were the uncool band in the 80's, when G n'R and Bon Jovi were the hip acts, and U2, as huge as they were, were the serious alternative for serious minded people. Cool was something they discovered in the 90's, and while it worked for 90's U2, it's looking jaded now.

Better to be just great. Which they still are.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
U2 has one major 'problem' - Bono.

Or to be fairer and more accurate, how people perceive Bono....and that has bled through to how people feel about the bands music, the band collectively and individually and everything associated with U2.

He is a hugely divisive figure, a figure who attracts so much derision and hate, and of course from fans so much love....

I am not saying it is right, but it is how it is - people hate Bono, and by extension people hate U2.

hrsan

Anybody want to put up a youtube video screaming and crying "leave them alone!"?

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
It was a good article but I was a little surprised at the premise.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Or to be fairer and more accurate, how people perceive Bono....and that has bled through to how people feel about the bands music, the band collectively and individually and everything associated with U2.

He is a hugely divisive figure, a figure who attracts so much derision and hate, and of course from fans so much love....

I am not saying it is right, but it is how it is - people hate Bono, and by extension people hate U2.

Really?  "Hugely divisive"? 

Who actually hates U2 or Bono?  Except for a few millennial UK hipsters writing for music blogs, I only ever hear of enormous fans (here), mild fans who don't keep up with new stuff but "like that song Mary J sings with Bono," or indifference.  If the world's view of Bono and U2 was actually what British fanboy rock-blogs thought, I guess I might agree with you.  But I've yet to actually meet a human being in person who doesn't at least appreciate Bono, even if they aren't huge fans of the band's music.   And I think those people are the same people who complaint about free music; complain when their non-fat extra-hot half-cafe soy latte doesn't have sufficient room; and go apeshit when their mom washes their skinny hemp jeans in a warm instead of cold cycle.

How can we not appreciate him?  (Still) married father of four rock star who takes vacations in Africa for antiviral campaigns or at economics conferences in Davos trying to get debt relief, and who is willing to poke fun at himself for drinking $1500 bottle DRC and wearing high heels in concert?  It's just insane to me that he takes even the slightest bit of criticism.  What, because he took a picture with Bush so he could get millions of dollars in aid smoothed through Congress? 

I'm not saying that there isn't noise around the band.  But in all seriousness I think we imagine more vitriol than there really is in reality with normal people, because we end up reading reviews by self-appointed music "critics" who wouldn't know a C-chord if it bit them.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
It was a good article but I was a little surprised at the premise.

Really?  "Hugely divisive"? 

Who actually hates U2 or Bono?  Except for a few millennial UK hipsters writing for music blogs, I only ever hear of enormous fans (here), mild fans who don't keep up with new stuff but "like that song Mary J sings with Bono," or indifference.  If the world's view of Bono and U2 was actually what British fanboy rock-blogs thought, I guess I might agree with you.  But I've yet to actually meet a human being in person who doesn't at least appreciate Bono, even if they aren't huge fans of the band's music.   And I think those people are the same people who complaint about free music; complain when their non-fat extra-hot half-cafe soy latte doesn't have sufficient room; and go apeshit when their mom washes their skinny hemp jeans in a warm instead of cold cycle.

How can we not appreciate him?  (Still) married father of four rock star who takes vacations in Africa for antiviral campaigns or at economics conferences in Davos trying to get debt relief, and who is willing to poke fun at himself for drinking $1500 bottle DRC and wearing high heels in concert?  It's just insane to me that he takes even the slightest bit of criticism.  What, because he took a picture with Bush so he could get millions of dollars in aid smoothed through Congress? 

I'm not saying that there isn't noise around the band.  But in all seriousness I think we imagine more vitriol than there really is in reality with normal people, because we end up reading reviews by self-appointed music "critics" who wouldn't know a C-chord if it bit them.

I can tell you quite categorically that I know very few people who don't think Bono is a knobhead....I also post on two other forums where whenever music is mentioned and u2 are mentioned Bono gets it down the banks.

Indifference as you suggested is something I rarely see in relation to Bono....

I tried defending him one night down my local and I was surprised at the level of disdain, mickey taking and issue people took with him.

This kind of thing is very prevalent on the Internet for example....You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Take a look scroll through - be warned some of it is pretty fierce so if you get offended by stuff you might want to swerve it...

Go and look at the comments on any article about the band.

By the way the author of that urban dictionary piece will be pleased to note the ticket prices for the new tour!

I'm not saying i agree with all this, but let's not pretend it isn't there and isn't pretty loud too!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:15:05 PM by an tha »

SpookyElectric

It's better to arouse love and intense dislike than to be invisible.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
I'm not saying i agree with all this, but let's not pretend it isn't there and isn't pretty loud too!

I guess I just don't count urban dictionary as "normal people" and I am surprised at how different your anecdotal experience is from mine.  Weird.  There's so many substantive responses to the criticisms I could make, but I'm guessing I don't need to make those here and don't want to drift off topic.

I thought the article was interesting.  I remain surprised at the vitriol and suspicious the internet blogger trolls magnify it beyond reality.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger

I guess I just don't count urban dictionary as "normal people" and I am surprised at how different your anecdotal experience is from mine.  Weird.  There's so many substantive responses to the criticisms I could make, but I'm guessing I don't need to make those here and don't want to drift off topic.

I thought the article was interesting.  I remain surprised at the vitriol and suspicious the internet blogger trolls magnify it beyond reality.

I don't necessarily care about if Bono is lauded or loathed....but all I can say is that I see and hear a lot more loathing than lauding, one of the biggest barometers is the comments section of any article about u2 that pops up on line.

Of course the negative voices are usually louder, and therefore more noticeable but for my money the general perception of Bono is pretty bad.

There is a plethora of 'anti bono' sites and Web pieces, I would wager a lot more than other music legends. Whether you count these people as normal as you put it or not they are out there and I assume you noticed the very high number of likes against those pieces on the link I posted (they outweighed the dislikes)

The thing is though it really does not matter, if fans like his music and like him who cares what other people think....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:20:28 PM by an tha »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
There certainly is a ton of anti-Bono sentiment out there... JJ I don't know where you live but hard to believe you don't see it... or maybe you just tune it out and forget it which is fine...

Even a casual stroll through these forum halls will show you Bono inspires mixed feelings even amongst the faithful... i.e. the hardcore fans... my personal view for example is that while the haters can be ridiculous, I also recognize he gives them plenty of oxygen to fan the flames, unfortunately...

Offline wolf

• Refugee
U2 aren't loathed, or hated or even disliked.  They're just not cool and for obvious reasons.

I guess that is why the last tour was the highest attended and highest grossing by any music artist in history? You sure do make a lot of money and attract a lot of people being uncool.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
The problem is Bono has created a perfect storm in that on any day, he can be hated by both left and right - artists with political interests were generally supposed to be the darlings of one and idiots for the other. You could say Bono has broken new ground. He has been both brave and brilliant in doing so but by being this mass of contradictions to achieve both campaigner success and entertainment / business success he has left himself open to attack from all sides.

I do wonder if John Lennon would have been the model for this if he had lived. Of course in the UK, we would have let him get away with a lot. Bono doesn't because he was born on the wrong side of that bit of water.