Author Topic: Hello from a first-timer!  (Read 5823 times)

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
Hello from a first-timer!
« on: November 07, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
Hey all,

This is the first u2 forum and the first forum period Ive ever joined! Been an extreme U2 fan since 2000 (I got into them while living in Ireland) and have loved this website ever since I first discovered it. A couple of years ago I discovered that one of my colleagues shared the same passion (we were at a dance club and Pride came on, and our conversation progressed rapidly from casual admiration to extreme dorkiness). We became great friends, and we used to get together on a regular basis to watch concert DVDs, overindulge in wine and chocolate, and talk endlessly about all the reasons U2 were the best. (We were both particularly in love with Bono and the Edge, so it was always cause for special celebration whenever the two of them would sing together with their eyes closed). Sadly, I moved halfway across the world this summer, so those concert nights are a thing of the past. I guess Im feeling the need for some U2 connection in my life! So thought Id give this a try...looking forward to being a part of it!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:53:15 PM by bloom »

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
Re: Hello from a first-timer!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:05:55 PM »
Hello bloom, you'll love it here! I've signed for many a forum in the past, but this is the only one I've been faithful too.
I'm sorry you miss your friend. Moving halfway across the world is not easy, I've done it myself a couple of times. You always leave a part of your heart anywhere you live, but the upside it you have friends all over the world.  :)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 05:42:13 PM »
Hey, bloom!  This is the only forum I check in on regularly (way too regularly).  These people sure know their U2, and are not afraid to speak their minds.  If you're starved for U2 conversation, you're in the right place.  See you around!  :)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Hi bloom.  From one newcomer to another welcome.  This seems to be the very best U2 forum around.  I just joined about a week ago or so and I am already racking up the posts. Since my friends and family want no part of my U2 madness, I now know there is a place for crazy old me to come and actually feel normal!

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »
Hey Bloom.  This is the first forum I ever joined too.  I've been a member here for a couple years and people are really nice.

We did this think awhile back where we all agreed on a movie (Rattle and Hum) and a time (taking into account different time zones) and we all watched the movie 'together', chatting about the boys and the music, hitting the refresh button about a jillion times.  It was really fun.  Maybe we can put another one together sometime soon to hold us over until the new album.

Where do you live?

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey Bloom.  This is the first forum I ever joined too.  I've been a member here for a couple years and people are really nice.

We did this think awhile back where we all agreed on a movie (Rattle and Hum) and a time (taking into account different time zones) and we all watched the movie 'together', chatting about the boys and the music, hitting the refresh button about a jillion times.  It was really fun.  Maybe we can put another one together sometime soon to hold us over until the new album.

Where do you live?

Hey, nice to hear back from folks...The coordinated movie viewing idea is awesome, I love it! And it IS twenty years ago that Rattle and Hum was in the theatres...(as was so nicely reminisced about in this week's OTR)

I live in Canada, on the east coast, recently returned from a stint in the Czech Republic. U?

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:30:35 AM »
Hi bloom.  From one newcomer to another welcome.  This seems to be the very best U2 forum around.  I just joined about a week ago or so and I am already racking up the posts. Since my friends and family want no part of my U2 madness, I now know there is a place for crazy old me to come and actually feel normal!

I hear you StrongGirl! Same here, all I get at home when I mention U2 is eye rolls  ::)
The only time my husband brought up U2 subject himself in recent times, was when he found the article about Bono and the beach babes.  ;)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:09:11 PM »
Hi Starfish.  Yeah, I know all about those eye rolls!  I've taken some matters into my own hands-I make my 2 sons (ages 10 and 5) wear U2 tee shirts and I forced the older one to go see U23D with me.  You see, my husband is a huge fan of Bruce Springsteen (has been for years).  He is trying to get the boys interested in Bruce.  Now don't get me wrong, I do respect Bruce but I just do not care for him.  So it has become a contest in our home to see which one of us will win.  You have to influence them when they are young!  I refuse to lose this one.  They WILL be U2 fans if it is the last thing I ever do!

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Hi Starfish.  Yeah, I know all about those eye rolls!  I've taken some matters into my own hands-I make my 2 sons (ages 10 and 5) wear U2 tee shirts and I forced the older one to go see U23D with me.  You see, my husband is a huge fan of Bruce Springsteen (has been for years).  He is trying to get the boys interested in Bruce.  Now don't get me wrong, I do respect Bruce but I just do not care for him.  So it has become a contest in our home to see which one of us will win.  You have to influence them when they are young!  I refuse to lose this one.  They WILL be U2 fans if it is the last thing I ever do!

I totally know what you're talking about.  Mr.Z is obsessed with Coldplay and I was heartbroken when my son, who could name all 4 members of U2 when he was 2 and learned to play drums to Desire when he was 3, said he liked Coldplay better. WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:43 AM »
Hi & welcome Bloom!   :)
You're in good company, so have fun! 
We'll see ya around & welcome to Canada as well! ( fellow Canuck here..)

Offline JohnnyVOXX

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • many will see and hear
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:00:48 AM »
Welcome!!
I hope you have a great time around!!
 ;D