Hard Copy Only
11 (12%)
I-Device copy only
17 (18.5%)
No version and deleted the I-Device verision
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: July 23, 2015, 06:43:00 AM

Author Topic: Did you buy a hard copy of SOI - POLL  (Read 1667 times)

SpookyElectric

Re: Did you buy a hard copy of SOI - POLL
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
yeah that's about reet

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The hard copy only sold 101,000 copies in the United States. Incredible that so few U2 fans desire a hard copy of a U2 album in 2014/2015.

I don't think so.  The need for hard copies has already passed us by.  Unless you're a collector, or a completist, or haven't yet moved to digital files, then the download would suffice for most people.  I've been a U2 fan for over 25 years, but I would have skipped the hard copy had it not been for the bonus material.  Even then, it was a toss-up.  Their b-sides have been pretty dismal for at least 10 years.

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
I had the free download but also bought the vinyl version and 2-CD edition.

+1

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 08:50:46 PM »
I brought the album on vinyl and delux cd versions.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 10:46:24 PM »
I have the free version plus the deluxe version.  Without the 2 disc option, I wouldn't have purchased an album I was already given, but I would have burned a CD.

I do like a physical copy, for the CD player in the car, for my home CD player, and as a backup.  I know there are ways to do all that with an iPod, but I would rather hold the CD in my hands.  Lately, I have bought a few CDs on Amazon, and many give you a free digital copy.  If I only like the album a bit I can always sell the CD and keep the digital version.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »

I had the free download but also bought the vinyl version and 2-CD edition.

+1

+2

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 10:51:08 PM »
Wonder if anyone other than my local library actually bought the single disc CD.

Smee

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 03:29:03 AM »
I have the Apple Free Download, The Vinyl release and the Deluxue CD. I have the Record Store Day Vinyl release on order with Amazon, but dont think it will ever materialise

Smee

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 04:39:40 AM »
How is this for a coincidence. i post the above, re Amazon, and within an hour, i get an email from them saying they have to cancel the order, as they cant supply the goods. Only taken them 3 months to tell me

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 06:08:09 AM »
The hard copy only sold 101,000 copies in the United States. Incredible that so few U2 fans desire a hard copy of a U2 album in 2014/2015.

I don't think so.  The need for hard copies has already passed us by.  Unless you're a collector, or a completist, or haven't yet moved to digital files, then the download would suffice for most people.  I've been a U2 fan for over 25 years, but I would have skipped the hard copy had it not been for the bonus material.  Even then, it was a toss-up.  Their b-sides have been pretty dismal for at least 10 years.

Totally disagree. U2's non-album material post 2000 is the BEST of the entire career, period! No Line On The Horizon sold 1.2 million copies in the United States, the majority of which were hard copies. To go from 800,000 hard copies to just 101,000 hard copies in the space of 6 years is a big slide. There would naturally be a slide of course since the album was offered for free. I still figured though that there would be at least 400,000 hard copies sold.

As for myself, I prefer to listen to music the way I did 25 years ago, on compact disk. I love listening to albums in FULL and generally over and over again. The digital music crowd tends to not listen to albums in full and are always listening to song mixes. Its part of the reason why the music industry is in decline. People have lost interest in albums and tend to only listen to a few songs by one artist mixed in with songs by other artist. This naturally over time causes a decline in artist interest and loyalty which makes it more difficult for individual artist to sell product like albums, songs, and concert tickets. Technology is helping to kill the business as well as the artist and the art form.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »

Totally disagree. U2's non-album material post 2000 is the BEST of the entire career, period! No Line On The Horizon sold 1.2 million copies in the United States, the majority of which were hard copies. To go from 800,000 hard copies to just 101,000 hard copies in the space of 6 years is a big slide. There would naturally be a slide of course since the album was offered for free. I still figured though that there would be at least 400,000 hard copies sold.

As for myself, I prefer to listen to music the way I did 25 years ago, on compact disk. I love listening to albums in FULL and generally over and over again. The digital music crowd tends to not listen to albums in full and are always listening to song mixes. Its part of the reason why the music industry is in decline. People have lost interest in albums and tend to only listen to a few songs by one artist mixed in with songs by other artist. This naturally over time causes a decline in artist interest and loyalty which makes it more difficult for individual artist to sell product like albums, songs, and concert tickets. Technology is helping to kill the business as well as the artist and the art form.

I have no idea where to start with this.  Let's see:

1.  There's no such thing as a wrong opinion, but thinking that U2's non-album material post-2000 is their best is baffling to me, when the b-sides to JT, AB, and TUF exist.  I should have clarified that I meant strictly b-sides or bonus tracks, though it wouldn't change my opinion if we included everything.  NLOTH had all of one non-remix/live track b-side, which was just an alternate version of an album track.  Maybe you just really like remixes.

2.  Why is it surprising that so few people buy the physical copy of the album when U2 gave it away for free?  Like I said, they basically fulfilled the demand for the album, for FREE, to anyone who wouldn't have cared about a hard copy or bonus tracks.  Aside from which, services like Spotify further reduce whatever demand there would be to buy CDs.  Just because you prefer them has no reflection on the public's preference at large.

3.  You just contradicted your own disagreement with me by stating how people don't listen to albums, and instead listen to select tracks, and stating that it "causes a decline in artist interest and loyalty which makes it more difficult for individual artist [sic] to sell product [sic] like albums, songs, and concert tickets."  You can't say I'm wrong and then state a bunch of stuff that fully supports exactly what I said.

By the way, I also listen almost exclusively to complete albums, and I do so on my iPod.  So no, not everyone who listens to digital files does so at the exclusion of full albums--though many, many do.

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

I have no idea where to start with this.  Let's see:

1.  There's no such thing as a wrong opinion, but thinking that U2's non-album material post-2000 is their best is baffling to me, when the b-sides to JT, AB, and TUF exist.  I should have clarified that I meant strictly b-sides or bonus tracks, though it wouldn't change my opinion if we included everything.  NLOTH had all of one non-remix/live track b-side, which was just an alternate version of an album track.  Maybe you just really like remixes.

2.  Why is it surprising that so few people buy the physical copy of the album when U2 gave it away for free?  Like I said, they basically fulfilled the demand for the album, for FREE, to anyone who wouldn't have cared about a hard copy or bonus tracks.  Aside from which, services like Spotify further reduce whatever demand there would be to buy CDs.  Just because you prefer them has no reflection on the public's preference at large.

3.  You just contradicted your own disagreement with me by stating how people don't listen to albums, and instead listen to select tracks, and stating that it "causes a decline in artist interest and loyalty which makes it more difficult for individual artist [sic] to sell product [sic] like albums, songs, and concert tickets."  You can't say I'm wrong and then state a bunch of stuff that fully supports exactly what I said.

By the way, I also listen almost exclusively to complete albums, and I do so on my iPod.  So no, not everyone who listens to digital files does so at the exclusion of full albums--though many, many do.

1. I was only comparing non-album work to other non-album work. I was only looking at new original songs, not remixes. So I look at Mercy, Winter, Window In The Skies, Cyrstal Ballroom, Invisible, Lucifers Hands, Always, Summer Rain, Are You Gonna Wait Forever, Native Son, Flower Child, and many other songs that I'm leaving out post 2000. I love the B-sides for the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby and UF, but I think the non-album efforts post 2000 are better.

2. I knew less people would buy the album, I just did not think it would be as low as 101,000 when 800,000 hard copies were sold on the previous album in the U.S.A. One in this day in age is obviously a hardcore fan if your buying a hard copy for an album given away for free on the internet. Still, I thought sales would be much larger than just 101,000.

3. I'm not really sure what your talking about here. Yes the album is declining all around. Hell, its part of the reason NLOTH sales were so much lower than HTDAAB in the U.S.A. Lots of people obtain their music for free these days. Despite all that, I still thought the album would sell more than 101,000 copies in the U.S.A.. By the way that 101,000 figure includes any one who bought the album later on even as a digital copy after the "FREE" period, so the hard copy sales total is actually a little less than 101,000.

I'm happy I don't have an I-phone or I-pod. I'd hate to be one of these individuals hopelessly obsessed with an electronic gadget, always taking pictures, filming video, texting people, or having something in your ear because your listening to music, movie etc. I'm not a slave to any of that sh**, while it seems like more an more, people out there have a complete nervous breakdown if they misplace or lose one of these electronic gadgets. The internet is cool, but I have no intention of spending most of my life on it, which is what people are doing now. It was funny watching Bono admonish the people who got in stage in Chicago telling them to BE IN THE MOMENT instead of filming the moment. I don't think many of them understood what he was talking about.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »

I'm happy I don't have an I-phone or I-pod. I'd hate to be one of these individuals hopelessly obsessed with an electronic gadget, always taking pictures, filming video, texting people, or having something in your ear because your listening to music, movie etc. I'm not a slave to any of that sh**, while it seems like more an more, people out there have a complete nervous breakdown if they misplace or lose one of these electronic gadgets. The internet is cool, but I have no intention of spending most of my life on it, which is what people are doing now. It was funny watching Bono admonish the people who got in stage in Chicago telling them to BE IN THE MOMENT instead of filming the moment. I don't think many of them understood what he was talking about.

....I'm happy for you?  I'm not hopelessly obsessed, or a slave.  But yes, you are SO much better than the rest of us.  Also, nice comment about not spending most of your life on the internet......on the internet.

And frankly, if U2 are admonishing anyone about being "in the moment", then perhaps the first step would be for them not to put live tweets from the audience on the screen during the meerkat part of the show.  There's nothing better than watching a concert with a "Total Recall Live" ticker with inane comments.  I've never seen any artist encourage that kind of stuff at a show, but there's U2 doing it.

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 12:04:44 AM »

....I'm happy for you?  I'm not hopelessly obsessed, or a slave.  But yes, you are SO much better than the rest of us.  Also, nice comment about not spending most of your life on the internet......on the internet.

And frankly, if U2 are admonishing anyone about being "in the moment", then perhaps the first step would be for them not to put live tweets from the audience on the screen during the meerkat part of the show.  There's nothing better than watching a concert with a "Total Recall Live" ticker with inane comments.  I've never seen any artist encourage that kind of stuff at a show, but there's U2 doing it.

Ah yes, the U2 bashing continues. I loved Bono's comment about bathroom walls being so clean these days. All those freaks spend their time spouting their hatred on the internet.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 12:07:35 AM »
I will usually buy every version of a U2 album released, unless it's super-redundant. They're the only band I'd do this for, and the only band I've never regretted doing stuff like this for.