Poll

Who gets gypped more

North America
10 (47.6%)
Europe
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Who gets gypped more out of U2 shows  (Read 2464 times)

hrsan

Re: Who gets gypped more out of U2 shows
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 02:11:44 PM »
The question is much more than just the I&E tour.  It's about their entire touring history and their setlists and stage setups.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
Ouch.!   D.Darroch
If only people had your money must be nice to not  have to struggle living on a single paycheck and all alone..
Good for you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:15:16 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 04:05:59 AM »
Ha, my money, nice one Maria! FYI I earn well below the Aussie average. Traded in professional work for a lifestyle job 15 years ago. Unlike many of my low income Aussie peers (not all of them, but many of them), my priorities are not to spend my hard earned cash on drinking, smoking & gambling. But to save hard, & spend money on things I love like travelling & the very occasional U2 show. If you can't squirrel away a few hundred dollars over a four year period you really must be in a very, very deep financial hole. Or your priorities must lie elsewhere, nothing wrong with that.

The average disposable income in South America is way lower than the North American average. When do they get the opportunity to see their favourite band? Or do you expect the boys to slave away for months in every North American backwater instead.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:17:19 AM by d.darroch »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 04:16:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm betting the European union has higher unemployment and less disposable income; U2 has never been shy about following the money.

Not sure if that's true or not, but Europe had far less trouble selling out shows, at ticket prices which I expect are well above those in North America. My London GA's were 64 (including fees), which equates to $100USD, well above the cost of a GA in North America.

iehomecoming

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »
They're only playing western europe, and population density is greater in western Europe. They didn't play one show in Texas for example, which has 3 of the most populous cities in the US 

Someone in Rome or Lyon for example can easily and cheaply travel to a Turin show, someone from Houston has to make a 2-3 day round trip for 1 show if they fly, longer if they drive.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
Ha, my money, nice one Maria! FYI I earn well below the Aussie average. Traded in professional work for a lifestyle job 15 years ago. Unlike many of my low income Aussie peers (not all of them, but many of them), my priorities are not to spend my hard earned cash on drinking, smoking & gambling. But to save hard, & spend money on things I love like travelling & the very occasional U2 show. If you can't squirrel away a few hundred dollars over a four year period you really must be in a very, very deep financial hole. Or your priorities must lie elsewhere, nothing wrong with that.

The average disposable income in South America is way lower than the North American average. When do they get the opportunity to see their favourite band? Or do you expect the boys to slave away for months in every North AmericSean backwater instead.
Saw 3 shows in Montreal, Don't drink,smoke or gamble.
.get real...

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »
The USA in the 80s, Europe since ZooTV. Come on, neither PopMart, Elevation nor Vertigo got second legs!

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »
.get real...
I know you got your 3 shows, & those people you're "standing up for" can get to shows too, if it's important for them. It's all about priorities.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:47:06 PM by d.darroch »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
They're only playing western europe, and population density is greater in western Europe. They didn't play one show in Texas for example, which has 3 of the most populous cities in the US 

Someone in Rome or Lyon for example can easily and cheaply travel to a Turin show, someone from Houston has to make a 2-3 day round trip for 1 show if they fly, longer if they drive.
Italy, a country of 60 million people, with only 2 shows. Nowhere would have sold out quicker than Italy! Someone from Rome or Lyon can travel to Turin cheaply, if only they can get tickets to the show.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:15:30 PM by d.darroch »

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
.get real...
I know you got your 3 shows, & those people you're "standing up for" can get to shows too, if it's important for them. It's all about priorities.
So did you buy a ticket and fly to New York or anywhere else to see any shows?

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »
I am flying from Oz to Europe, & seeing 2 shows in London & 2 shows in Paris, before I start work in Austria. It will take one month of my European wage to pay for my return flight from Oz to Europe. In other words, I live cheaply, & squirrel away money to be able to travel. Missed the opportunity to see 360 with my friends back home in Oz, as I was overseas, but was lucky enough to see it in the US while working there.

Blofeld

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
I am flying from Oz to Europe, & seeing 2 shows in London & 2 shows in Paris, before I start work in Austria. It will take one month of my European wage to pay for my return flight from Oz to Europe. In other words, I live cheaply, & squirrel away money to be able to travel. Missed the opportunity to see 360 with my friends back home in Oz, as I was overseas, but was lucky enough to see it in the US while working there.

I like your style, pal.  If folks didn't waste so much money on sh** they'd have plenty more to spend on life's experiences.

Blofeld

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »
I dunno what gypped means but asia get robbed the most.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2015, 02:07:23 PM »
I like your style, pal.  If folks didn't waste so much money on sh** they'd have plenty more to spend on life's experiences.
I dunno what gypped means but asia get robbed the most.
Sometimes it's not the money, but the time. Had to leave South America to get back in time for 2nd US leg of 360. Missed once in a lifetime trip to Galapagos (not your average trip, 7 islands). Would have blown the budget, but may never get back there, so wonder if was worth missing for a rock band. Thank god Anaheim 2 was such a good show!

Haha, I always said "gybbed", but it looks like "gypped", from the gypsies. Yeah, Asia does it pretty tough. South America & Australia usually don't have it great, North America has nothing to complain about.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:31:44 PM by d.darroch »

iehomecoming

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
It's all about priorities. What is "sh**" to someone is a life experience to someone else. Going out and having an expensive meal is worth it to some, not to others. If U2 hadn't been playing an hours drive (on a good day) from me I wouldn't have gone, just not that important. I wouldn't have said that in 84 or 87 but priorities change. Mortgages have to be paid, kids need clothes and food, college funds need funding, etc. So yeah, many places in the US got gypped as did some places in Europe. But really nowhere over the course of U2's career has anywhere gotten the shaft as much as Asia has.