Author Topic: Worshipping at Bono's Altar Ego  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Worshipping at Bono's Altar Ego
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"while relating to the audience in a movable feast of energy that turned every seat in the house into the best seat"

This guy obviously wasn't sitting in the seats myself and my buddies were. Couldn't see the screen at all and couldn't see the band for about half the show, and paid full price for the tickets.

"It is more ballet than music, more theater than rock, more art show than glam show."

Unfortunately for some this is true. I thought the show was to choreographed for my liking. I know a lot of fans love the I&E tour, but it was my worst U2 concert experience. In a stadium I see the need for the big show as they have to project to 70,000 seats a football field away, but in an arena they are good enough to put on a fantastic show based on them, the songs, and the audience.

I was at the show in a group of 10 of us, and I asked 1 guy what he thought after it finished. This guy is a musician himself and has seen 100's of shows. His response while looking out over the stage was "they don't need all this, they've got the songs". That summed it up perfectly for me. They got the songs, just put a 110% into the songs and you'll give a great show. They built a career on giving 110% in the past in their live shows, but some of the songs now are just played bare bones without some of the spark we saw before. No extended solo/coda for songs like Mysterious Ways or One for example.

For all who are enjoying this tour I'm happy for you, but unfortunately for me they aren't an amazing live act anymore.

I have a lot of respect for this opinion--it's one I probably mostly share, if I think about it.  To be clear, I did enjoy the show.  It was an impressive spectacle, I really liked the autobiographical aspect to it, and the songs sounded good over all.  But the scripted aspect of the show--which is a trend which actually began during Zoo TV, mind you--was impossible to ignore, with the band hitting their "spots" for different video effects.  As far as a "rock show", it emphasized the "show" much more than the "rock".

iehomecoming

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 08:57:54 AM »
No problem, Sly Danner, yes, everything changed for me as a fan after finally seeing U2 live on 360. I don't count myself as the barometer, though.

Tell me who tops them RIGHT NOW. I want to seem them too!

Rush has been better than them on every tour since the Elevation tour

Robert Plant on this tour was better than U2.  Not just due to Robert, but his band is just incredible, phenomenal musicians playing some wildly rearranged Blues and Zep Classics as well as Robert's solo stuff. Not really sure how to best describe the sound that comes out of that band but it's a joy to behold, and of course Robert just oozes charisma and stage presence, not to mention his voice has held up incredibly well. Just musicians and and a few lights, no screens, no choreography, no deep arcing themes just a band obviously enjoying playing the music and connecting with the audience through the music.

Don't get me wrong U2 was very good on the i+e shows, better than at any time since 97 (or maybe equal to Elevation tour). But of the concerts I've seen this year they wee a close 3rd behind Robert Plant who was a distant 2nd to Rush. They are THAT good.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
Since the title of the thread references 'ego' I will say this.  My observation is that ever since Bono has delved deeper into being a political/social justice 'activist' (circa 2000), the shows have grown more wearisome on several levels.  The continued speechifying, dumbing down of many songs or intros (eg Streets), etc... has gradually taken its toll on the 'rock n' roll' part of the tour.

Don't get me wrong I think what Bono does on the side is great and I respect the heck out of it.  But it seems to me that starting with Vertigo Tour and up to now the shows have  suffered.  The past 3 tours have an aspect of a victory parade... where is the anger, the rage, the simmering energy?  It's all gone.. now we have Bono singing happy birthday to Bill Gates (Vancouver 360), call outs to celebs at every opportunity (Rose Bowl was ridiculous - and wiped from the DVD), thanking all the sponsors.... these are just small examples but this stuff just did not happen when the band was a band and not a front for the marketing/politico/philanthropy act that Bono has become.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
No problem, Sly Danner, yes, everything changed for me as a fan after finally seeing U2 live on 360. I don't count myself as the barometer, though.

Tell me who tops them RIGHT NOW. I want to seem them too!

Rush has been better than them on every tour since the Elevation tour

Robert Plant on this tour was better than U2.  Not just due to Robert, but his band is just incredible, phenomenal musicians playing some wildly rearranged Blues and Zep Classics as well as Robert's solo stuff. Not really sure how to best describe the sound that comes out of that band but it's a joy to behold, and of course Robert just oozes charisma and stage presence, not to mention his voice has held up incredibly well. Just musicians and and a few lights, no screens, no choreography, no deep arcing themes just a band obviously enjoying playing the music and connecting with the audience through the music.

Don't get me wrong U2 was very good on the i+e shows, better than at any time since 97 (or maybe equal to Elevation tour). But of the concerts I've seen this year they wee a close 3rd behind Robert Plant who was a distant 2nd to Rush. They are THAT good.

Rush are great--I was happy to get to see the R40 show recently, and yeah, they rock.

That said, I can understand how recommending Rush might be like recommending licorice, to someone who doesn't like licorice.  They're fairly polarizing, and if you're not interested in 10-minute long prog workouts, it may not be your cup of tea.

Unfortunately, that does kind of leave you with a bunch of lame, MOR rock bands who write big, dumb, songs.  Bon Jovi, etc.  Maybe Muse cross that musicianship with big anthems, though I find them mostly ridiculous.  So....maybe Arcade Fire?  The certainly evoke early U2's sense of urgency and energy, with some of mid-U2's artiness.  I'm afraid I don't have a lot of other recommendations.  My only other show this year besides those two was Morrissey, and he's another love-him-or-hate-him act.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 02:53:43 PM »
Look, I like the I&E tour, a lot. I only saw the first two shows in Vancouver, but I've been following it along and listening to most shows. The best show was the small club gig they did in LA. but that's another story.

Saying this tour is equal or better than Zoo TV - ludicrous in my mind. I went to 3 indoor Zoo TV shows and only last night listened to the Dortmund show (Westfallenhalle - 06.04.92) bootleg - if anyone does not believe me (those that weren't there mostly) look up on YouTube and listen to versions of songs like WOWY, ISHFWILF (with Stand By Me), Bad, Pride and tell me you prefer the 2015 versions. I get natural ageing, I do really so its understandable that Bono sounds so much better in 1992, but what about the actual music. So much more powerful and played with so much more passion than they are now.

Its all subjective, but I find it very hard to believe that people would prefer to listen to an I&E show (as good as they are) over Zoo TV.

Just my two cents.

Peace.

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 03:15:52 PM »
Well, you'd have to compare ZooTV to any of the JT or UF Tour shows, it would be  hard, for someone who saw them any time from '84-93. I didn't seem in the 80's but followed them on bootlegs, and remember being irked that the videos straitjacketed them to an extetn and prevented the free-range, passionate extended versions of songs they were known in the 80's for. Spectacle for spectacle's sake does not impress me-anyone can spend a lot of money and build a bigger, better "show", but I want a bigger, better "concert".

I'm going into my show Sunday as unspoiled as possible, not paid attention to setlists since Chicago. (Don't spoil it!) The comparison I will be making is to Springsteen...who still kicks butt, at 65...

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »
I will have to listen to your examples.

But I have to say to complain about Bono's range not being as good or the same is like saying that I'm not as thin as I was at 25.  Bono's not 25 or 35 anymore.  His voice on I & E has only gotten better as the tour has progressed, I think he sounds incredible, even if he can't hit those notes anymore.

So Cruel, I really think your show was an anomaly. I've been to

I hear you and I'm really happy for fans like you who are really into this tour.

We all obviously love U2 and each in our own way. I got in U2 in high school when Rattle and Hum came out and became obsessed when Achtung Baby was released. I lived and breathed U2 back then, and I typically would play the bootlegs I had instead of the albums. I've listened to some key Lovetown, Zoo TV, and Popmart boots more then any of their albums. I absolutely loved the live renditions of those songs during their prime years. Bono took everything to a new level which propelled the rest of the band. For me the true renditions of songs like With or Without You, Bad, One, Mysterious Ways, are the ones I listened to from the boots during that period. Now when I hear them live they are played pretty bare boned and for me are missing the spark that I hear when I listen to the shows from their prime period, and thus I don't enjoy the band live like I used to.

Maybe if I hadn't listened to those old shows so much I'd be happy with the current live shows.

Remind me which show you saw. I'm truly perplexed that you had a less than amazing time even given your explanation of watching the old shows. I understand that we are all aging and that plays into it, of course none of us can ever be young again. Yet, here is U2 not only measuring up but spilling over the brim with their bounty this tour. I describe what I'm seeing by stating I need U2's time machine. I'm truly shocked by them.

I've seen many concerts since 360 when U2 reignited my passion for live shows. I am sure that U2 has as much energy and often MORE than these very good YOUNG bands I'm seeing. Only New Politics and Switchfoot equal U2 in their energy level. Even favorite groups of mine I've recently seen live such as Phantogram, Royal Blood, Foster the People, The Killers, Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Noel Gallagher, and Muse don't hit U2's current level.

I don't really care much for Bullet The Blue Sky and yet this tour it's captured my full attention and then some. It's a definite stand out. Pride is so reinvigorated; I daresay it surpasses Streets for me this tour. It's a revelation. Then there are the new songs - Cedarwood Road and Raised by Wolves as well as Every Breaking Wave in particular.

I'm stumped and a bit bummed for you.

Don't be stumped or bummed for me, I still got my bootleg cd's to listen to!

To be clear I'm not trying to bash the band or the show, I'm just giving my honest opinion. It's not like the shows are horrible or anything either to me, even a "bad" U2 show for me is still better then 70% of the others shows out there now. There were moments I really enjoyed when I saw them. Out of Control was great. The band seems to really be able to play the songs from the first few albums really well still. From the Youtube clips I've seen Gloria and Electric Co are really going over well.

But what I was getting at in my previous post was more about how a lot of the old songs for me are not performed with the same spark or "magic" that they used to be played with. As I commented before I listened to Lovetown, Zoo TV, and Popmart boots a lot more then I've listened to the actual studio alums so a lot of the live performances from those periods are how I hear those classic songs and are what I compare the current live renditions to.

For example, listen to this version of One from 1992, especially the last 3 minutes. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Now listen to a version of One from the current tour. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me it's not even close. The passion (and the range) that Bono sings this in his prime is just on a different level then it is now, and because he can't take it to the next level we don't get some of the awesome extended versions anymore. It's just bare bones now. So when I see them live or listen to the current shows I'm not blown away by them like I used to be. I'm sitting there thinking this is nice, but it's not blowing me away like they did in their prime.

Once again I'm happy for everyone who's loving the last few tours, I kinda wish I was to.

Waffles

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 06:23:27 PM »
never saw zoo or elevation but I own both DVDs. I like slane castle more than zoo. Zoo had cool stuff and was all about new songs, but slane had a special intimacy. Zoo looked too much. Elevation is a tour I would want to see

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 08:31:52 PM »
I will have to listen to your examples.

But I have to say to complain about Bono's range not being as good or the same is like saying that I'm not as thin as I was at 25.  Bono's not 25 or 35 anymore.  His voice on I & E has only gotten better as the tour has progressed, I think he sounds incredible, even if he can't hit those notes anymore.

So Cruel, I really think your show was an anomaly. I've been to

I hear you and I'm really happy for fans like you who are really into this tour.

We all obviously love U2 and each in our own way. I got in U2 in high school when Rattle and Hum came out and became obsessed when Achtung Baby was released. I lived and breathed U2 back then, and I typically would play the bootlegs I had instead of the albums. I've listened to some key Lovetown, Zoo TV, and Popmart boots more then any of their albums. I absolutely loved the live renditions of those songs during their prime years. Bono took everything to a new level which propelled the rest of the band. For me the true renditions of songs like With or Without You, Bad, One, Mysterious Ways, are the ones I listened to from the boots during that period. Now when I hear them live they are played pretty bare boned and for me are missing the spark that I hear when I listen to the shows from their prime period, and thus I don't enjoy the band live like I used to.

Maybe if I hadn't listened to those old shows so much I'd be happy with the current live shows.

Remind me which show you saw. I'm truly perplexed that you had a less than amazing time even given your explanation of watching the old shows. I understand that we are all aging and that plays into it, of course none of us can ever be young again. Yet, here is U2 not only measuring up but spilling over the brim with their bounty this tour. I describe what I'm seeing by stating I need U2's time machine. I'm truly shocked by them.

I've seen many concerts since 360 when U2 reignited my passion for live shows. I am sure that U2 has as much energy and often MORE than these very good YOUNG bands I'm seeing. Only New Politics and Switchfoot equal U2 in their energy level. Even favorite groups of mine I've recently seen live such as Phantogram, Royal Blood, Foster the People, The Killers, Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Noel Gallagher, and Muse don't hit U2's current level.

I don't really care much for Bullet The Blue Sky and yet this tour it's captured my full attention and then some. It's a definite stand out. Pride is so reinvigorated; I daresay it surpasses Streets for me this tour. It's a revelation. Then there are the new songs - Cedarwood Road and Raised by Wolves as well as Every Breaking Wave in particular.

I'm stumped and a bit bummed for you.

Don't be stumped or bummed for me, I still got my bootleg cd's to listen to!

To be clear I'm not trying to bash the band or the show, I'm just giving my honest opinion. It's not like the shows are horrible or anything either to me, even a "bad" U2 show for me is still better then 70% of the others shows out there now. There were moments I really enjoyed when I saw them. Out of Control was great. The band seems to really be able to play the songs from the first few albums really well still. From the Youtube clips I've seen Gloria and Electric Co are really going over well.

But what I was getting at in my previous post was more about how a lot of the old songs for me are not performed with the same spark or "magic" that they used to be played with. As I commented before I listened to Lovetown, Zoo TV, and Popmart boots a lot more then I've listened to the actual studio alums so a lot of the live performances from those periods are how I hear those classic songs and are what I compare the current live renditions to.

For example, listen to this version of One from 1992, especially the last 3 minutes. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Now listen to a version of One from the current tour. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me it's not even close. The passion (and the range) that Bono sings this in his prime is just on a different level then it is now, and because he can't take it to the next level we don't get some of the awesome extended versions anymore. It's just bare bones now. So when I see them live or listen to the current shows I'm not blown away by them like I used to be. I'm sitting there thinking this is nice, but it's not blowing me away like they did in their prime.

Once again I'm happy for everyone who's loving the last few tours, I kinda wish I was to.

I understand Bono's not 25 anymore and obviously he's not to blame for not sounding like he did when he was young. Because he can't reach places he used to some of the songs don't get to the heights they used to, so for me U2 is not quite the live band they were.