Author Topic: Concern for Bono's ageing  (Read 8380 times)

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
Concern for Bono's ageing
« on: July 26, 2015, 06:44:16 AM »
Someone in another thread mentioned that Bono looks like he aged 10 years minimum since last Nov (because of the bike wreck). I personally think he's performing in a pretty athletic to-the-wall way, but I think the bike-aged-bono theory is probably right.

Go back and watch the "under the Brooklyn bridge" special from HTDAAB era. Then go watch Bono at Glastonbury followed by Bono on the European MTV awards (or whatever it was) last year. I submit there was a bigger leap from last year to this than from Vertigo to 360.

Is this something that will get better with continued recovery.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
Re: Concern for Bono's ageing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:09:46 AM »
Go to your local Walmart and check out how most mid-50s men are aging. Bono is doing great. He appears to be working at staying in shape, his voice sounds great, and all in all is aging gracefully. I hope he continues to let himself look older, because it's creepy to me when people don't let themselves age.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:17:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Go to your local Walmart and check out how most mid-50s men are aging. Bono is doing great. He appears to be working at staying in shape, his voice sounds great, and all in all is aging gracefully. I hope he continues to let himself look older, because it's creepy to me when people don't let themselves age.

I'm with you, lorijane.

I've seen U2 live four times now on this tour, 3 times from the catwalk rail, and the guy is just amazing. Photos don't do him any justice; you have to see him move. It's actually remarkable that he recovered from his injuries as well and as quickly as he did. Yeah, he has some lines in his face, but that's been true for quite a while.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:53:06 AM »
Recovering from any illness takes time, let alone when it is so severe and yes, as we get older, it takes more time. Statistically it takes two weeks to recover from each day one is bedridden as the result of an illness. You do the math on that one.

A couple of years ago I had a relatively non invasive surgery that ended up with a two week recovery time and was complicated with extra issues resulting in me needing at least two more weeks to recover. I probably needed more but was pressured by work to come back early. It took me over a year to completely recover. And yes, it showed on me physically as well -- tired eyes, sallow skin, etc.

I admit Bono looks a little worse for wear-- on the surface. I have been rail for more than my share of gigs this tour and have some great up-close pics. Everyone I have shown them to has commented that they think he looks great. Watching him several times in concert however, I have no idea of how he is doing it. Especially (spoiler alert) that arm maneuver he does during Vertigo. I mean, considering the range of his injury-- how is he doing this????  He is clearly well on the mend and to me only gets better with each appearance. I think he will continue to rally from the bike injury and only get better. Will he look like he did ten years ago? Of course not. Nor should he. Will he look better than the average man his age? Absolutely. Will he move like a man half his age? Maybe not like a 27 year old but hell, not even Brittney or Beyoncé can dance around and sing at the same time. Bono can. His performances are energetic and engaging. Much better than they were last tour. We should all see such improvement.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:27:09 AM »

That's why i love him, he's human.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »
You're concerned cause he's ageing??  What's the alternative? ::)  Seriously, he looks great.  I'm around his age and could never do what he does, let alone after a major accident. 

Offline teacher_mommy_u2fan

• Stateless
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »
I finally got to see Bono up close for the first time ever in Chicago and I'm not the least concerned anymore. He moves better on stage than one would expect from a 55 year old, especially one that had such a serious injury, and sounds better than he did 4 years ago. I also think he still looks great. He still has that adorable crooked grin that turns my knees to jelly and my brain to mush. Nope. I think he's as sexy as ever.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
^Agree vigorously.  8)

iehomecoming

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 06:28:14 PM »
Since we are not privy to what's going on behind the scenes or how many times a night he gets up to pee it's hard to say.  Yes he had a bad accident but he also was able to recover with the best care money can buy, and no haggling with insurance companies, worrying about copay and bills, etc.

He looks like hes doing just fine. Plus he only needs to work for 3 hours a day for chrissakes! !

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 03:31:38 AM »
Since we are not privy to what's going on behind the scenes or how many times a night he gets up to pee it's hard to say.  Yes he had a bad accident but he also was able to recover with the best care money can buy, and no haggling with insurance companies, worrying about copay and bills, etc.

He looks like hes doing just fine. Plus he only needs to work for 3 hours a day for chrissakes! !

Not sure if you were trying to be tongue in cheek or not but but Bono works way more than three hours a day. They all do. Interviews, strategizing, practice, sound check (they are two different things), etc. No doubt Bono is still in PT and that is at least two hours a day for that kind of injury and if you have ever done that and the follow up exercises, it is exhausting both mentally and physically. Then you add in songwriting, charity work, being a parent.  It is a long hard day.

I am in awe of the great shape all of U2 are in. And as a fan I am extremely grateful.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 05:11:55 AM »
Would you want him to look like David Bowie? I think, like the rest of us, they go through different phases. I used to think that Adam had aged badly but on this tour he looks great, more like a rock star than he ever did! Larry and Edge look the same now as they did during Vertigo.

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:13:04 AM »
He looks good. Apart from the hair!

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:22 AM »
Drinking and smoking - regardless of exercise - will always get ya.

Hopefully nothing terminal will happen, but your skin ages and the wrinkles come deeper and longer with both excessive drinking and smoking - you have no one to blame but yourself.

I can see Bono having 'work' done - if he hasn't had any done already - and I think there's good evidence (look through Interference forums) that he's already had a hair transplant (not full, but partial).

I can see him looking like a cross between Miss Havisham and MacPhisto when he's even older.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 06:17:22 AM »
The lines on your face are a map to your soul.

Or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:19:24 AM by lorijane »

hrsan

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 06:35:26 AM »
I took a picture and sent it to my friend upstate and first he asked who it was and when I told him, he told me that he looked old.

From what I saw, he looked good for his age, he is 55 and had been in an accident.  Is he still a smoker?