Author Topic: Concern for Bono's ageing  (Read 8383 times)

Offline Nikki_Silver

• Refugee
Re: Concern for Bono's ageing
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 07:52:20 AM »
I'm pleasantly surprised that they haven't gone the plastic surgery route. Lines and wrinkles show a life well spent.

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 09:07:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Recovering from any illness takes time, let alone when it is so severe and yes, as we get older, it takes more time. Statistically it takes two weeks to recover from each day one is bedridden as the result of an illness. You do the math on that one.

A couple of years ago I had a relatively non invasive surgery that ended up with a two week recovery time and was complicated with extra issues resulting in me needing at least two more weeks to recover. I probably needed more but was pressured by work to come back early. It took me over a year to completely recover. And yes, it showed on me physically as well -- tired eyes, sallow skin, etc.

I admit Bono looks a little worse for wear-- on the surface. I have been rail for more than my share of gigs this tour and have some great up-close pics. Everyone I have shown them to has commented that they think he looks great. Watching him several times in concert however, I have no idea of how he is doing it. Especially (spoiler alert) that arm maneuver he does during Vertigo. I mean, considering the range of his injury-- how is he doing this????  He is clearly well on the mend and to me only gets better with each appearance. I think he will continue to rally from the bike injury and only get better. Will he look like he did ten years ago? Of course not. Nor should he. Will he look better than the average man his age? Absolutely. Will he move like a man half his age? Maybe not like a 27 year old but hell, not even Brittney or Beyoncé can dance around and sing at the same time. Bono can. His performances are energetic and engaging. Much better than they were last tour. We should all see such improvement.

Looks like some of you ignored what I said. I said he looked athletic and was giving a to-the-wall performance. Jeeze! The above quote is the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you! I personally think Bono is looking and acting more like a proper rock star than I saw on the 360 tour. I also think he's a good lookin' dude (especially for his age). I'm not implying that he should get plastic surgery or try to prevent the aging process for goodness sake. I was MERELY noticing a much more dramatic change from last year than I had seen in previous years and wondered (since I'm not an MD) whether we could expect him to continue to visibly improve from the bike accident. It's not because I care so much that he looks like he did on the JT tour or something. He could have grey hair, liver spots and a wheelchair and I would still be happy if he was writing and recording great music. I'm just concerned for his physical health and can only make judgements about his recovery based on what he says and what I'm seeing.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »

Figured I would provide some young verses aging bono just to compare!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:36:21 PM by Mr. Red »

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 05:18:23 PM »
Recovering from any illness takes time, let alone when it is so severe and yes, as we get older, it takes more time. Statistically it takes two weeks to recover from each day one is bedridden as the result of an illness. You do the math on that one.

A couple of years ago I had a relatively non invasive surgery that ended up with a two week recovery time and was complicated with extra issues resulting in me needing at least two more weeks to recover. I probably needed more but was pressured by work to come back early. It took me over a year to completely recover. And yes, it showed on me physically as well -- tired eyes, sallow skin, etc.

I admit Bono looks a little worse for wear-- on the surface. I have been rail for more than my share of gigs this tour and have some great up-close pics. Everyone I have shown them to has commented that they think he looks great. Watching him several times in concert however, I have no idea of how he is doing it. Especially (spoiler alert) that arm maneuver he does during Vertigo. I mean, considering the range of his injury-- how is he doing this????  He is clearly well on the mend and to me only gets better with each appearance. I think he will continue to rally from the bike injury and only get better. Will he look like he did ten years ago? Of course not. Nor should he. Will he look better than the average man his age? Absolutely. Will he move like a man half his age? Maybe not like a 27 year old but hell, not even Brittney or Beyoncé can dance around and sing at the same time. Bono can. His performances are energetic and engaging. Much better than they were last tour. We should all see such improvement.

Looks like some of you ignored what I said. I said he looked athletic and was giving a to-the-wall performance. Jeeze! The above quote is the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you! I personally think Bono is looking and acting more like a proper rock star than I saw on the 360 tour. I also think he's a good lookin' dude (especially for his age). I'm not implying that he should get plastic surgery or try to prevent the aging process for goodness sake. I was MERELY noticing a much more dramatic change from last year than I had seen in previous years and wondered (since I'm not an MD) whether we could expect him to continue to visibly improve from the bike accident. It's not because I care so much that he looks like he did on the JT tour or something. He could have grey hair, liver spots and a wheelchair and I would still be happy if he was writing and recording great music. I'm just concerned for his physical health and can only make judgements about his recovery based on what he says and what I'm seeing.

As we have discussed here, we all age, some better than others and some differently than others. I recall my Nana stating that you either got to keep your face or your body.

I appreciate the feedback and reminder that there was an original concern about the physical aging of the body, not really an looks question.  To follow up on my quoted quote-- I have seen a huge improvement in Bono since Vancouver.  I was able to be right in front of him and hear him talk to a small crowd of us in Vancouver. He did look a little frail and tired and like he was conserving his energy for the night's gig. Fast forward to Toronto where he appeared more his "old self" in spirit. I have also seen that come out in the shows I have seen.  For some people being back in their element, back at work so to speak, is the best form of recovery. No doubt his bike accident was life altering-- how could it not be?  And I hope this deeper reflection really comes out in the music-- that can also be wonderful therapy and let's be honest, good for us fans. But I think being on the road and fulfilling part of his "life purpose" or rather putting purpose to his life is helping him heal as rapidly as possible. being around his best friends and doing what they do best doesn't hurt either. And having the adoration of all the fans-- let's hear it for the healing properties of positivity.  I do think physically at least he will make a full recovery and maybe walk away from this with better living habits which science has proven can turn back the age clock significantly.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 05:30:51 PM »
The lines on your face are a map to your soul.

Or something like that.

that is just beautiful

Bono's words, actually, Summer Rain lyrics.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »
The lines on your face are a map to your soul.

Or something like that.

that is just beautiful

Bono's words, actually, Summer Rain lyrics.

You have a face not spoiled by beauty,

I have some scars from where I've been

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 12:27:30 PM »
I think its the allergy to red wine that's aging him.

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
Larry and Edge look the same now as they did during Vertigo.

I agree on Edge... But Larry, no way.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »
I recall my Nana stating that you either got to keep your face or your body.

Why the trade-off?

Offline Belisama

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »
I recall my Nana stating that you either got to keep your face or your body.

Why the trade-off?

Just the way life and gravity work, especially for women.

Although now I don't think it is as true as it was for her generation. In her day a little extra body helped to plump up the wrinkles in your face. So for her generation you either kept one or the other.

But now with sunblock, working out, eating right and yes even with nips and tucks you don't necessarily have to make the trade off.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 09:00:59 AM »
I am of the opinion that he's ageing pretty bad too, but he never took care of himself until recent years. Booze, cigarettes and lack of sleep had been a constant for decades. Even Edge said to him that he sees his body as an "inconvenience". Compared to his bandmates, he looks 10 years older.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:02:44 AM by Edgedisciple »

Offline Belisama

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »
Again I have to say this. . . aging isn't just about appearance.  No idea what Bono's cholesterol levels, etc. are but I know very few people at any age who can move the way he does on stage for that length of time, let alone recover so quickly from an accident and surgery as extensive as the one he had in 2014.  No matter your age, if you are not healthy from the start your recovery is inhibited and Bono has an astonishingly quick recovery. That speaks volumes of his overall health.

Had you asked me even five years ago if I would rather keep my looks or my health I would have said "looks," however those of us with compromised health now know better. 

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
I am of the opinion that he's ageing pretty bad too, but he never took care of himself until recent years. Booze, cigarettes and lack of sleep had been a constant for decades. Even Edge said to him that he sees his body as an "inconvenience". Compared to his bandmates, he looks 10 years older.

There are pictures where he looks just fine to me. We all look tired and crap after a gig and going out with friends. But yes, he loves life.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »
He's built like a tank.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »

There are pictures where he looks just fine to me. We all look tired and crap after a gig and going out with friends. But yes, he loves life.

On at least two occasions last year I was right next to Bono. No stage lights. No make up.  And he looked just fine.