Poll

What did you think ?

Meh. Roll eyes. Shake head. Move on.
Lady Gaga is awesome. Loved it.
U2 jumping shark for relevance. Classless gaga shouldn't be on the same stage.

Author Topic: The whole Lady Gaga thing  (Read 4848 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: The whole Lady Gaga thing
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 01:59:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I picked option 1, but I probably would have really liked it if she had actually worn clothing and didn't use the fake accent when it was her turn to sing.  She really is talented and I felt it was a shame that even on stage with U2, she felt the need to look like a slut and over exaggerate her voice.  An appropriate dress and singing with the great voice we all know she has would have made that performance so much better.

An appropriate dress?

What does that mean really?....she dresses how she dresses, that's part of what she is as a performer.

She was performing at a rock n roll show, not picking up an MBE at Buckingham Palace.

I'm insulted that I saw a woman's skin, she should've worn a burqa.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:02:07 PM by Boom Cha! »

Blofeld

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
I just saw that bonorules is a girl.  they don't want other women looking hot around bono. ;D

Blofeld

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »
tight clothing is good on women and men provided you have the physique to pull it off

Blofeld

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
I picked option 1, but I probably would have really liked it if she had actually worn clothing and didn't use the fake accent when it was her turn to sing.  She really is talented and I felt it was a shame that even on stage with U2, she felt the need to look like a slut and over exaggerate her voice.  An appropriate dress and singing with the great voice we all know she has would have made that performance so much better.

An appropriate dress?

What does that mean really?....she dresses how she dresses, that's part of what she is as a performer.

She was performing at a rock n roll show, not picking up an MBE at Buckingham Palace.

Agreed. slut look is good.

With a name like yours I would imagine you are fond of p****?

:D

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
Guests I can handle. Springsteen played a show last time out with EIGHT (8) covers. EIGHT. The guy has the second-best catalog in the history of American music (behind Dylan) and he is charging $150 and a third of the show is COVERS? I swear to God kids, if I had been at that show, I would have demanded a refund.

Guests don't bother me. An occasional cover with a guest doesn't bother me. Look at Dancing Queen on ZooTV! That was an AWESOME moment.

99.9 percent of the time U2 play, they are playing U2 songs. They may not always be the ones I would pick, but they are actual U2 songs.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 02:08:04 PM »
For some reason, my 8 got changed to the cool smilie. There is NOTHING cool about Bruce Springsteen playing 8 covers.

Blofeld

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »
For some reason, my 8 got changed to the cool smilie. There is NOTHING cool about Bruce Springsteen playing 8 covers.

neither is Bono speaking 8 snippets.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »
amazing how some so called U2 fans can be so conservative

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
she helped play piano (very well) and sing a duet (again quite well!) on a U2 song. 1 of 24? I don't get how anyone is put out by it. She is a star, and only adds value IMO. It creates a buzz and is something different, which is more than welcome for me!

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
Option 1

Not a fan of hers, nor of the Ordinary song... would've just shrugged it off and said on with the show.

However... hearing Ordinary Song and Hands that Bored America on the same night in lieu of so many better songs in their catalog would bug me a little.

Just not a fan of dull U2 songs.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »

neither is Bono speaking 8 snippets.

I don't consider one sentence to even be worth mentioning as the atu2 sets do. I didn't even notice most of the ones they reported from the show I went to. Two words does not a snippet make, and I agree that they are annoying, but a snippet is not the same as playing Mustang Sally.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 02:45:33 PM »
Yeah Bono has been putting in snippets forever has he not? They never used to make the setlist though. I was listening to some shows, and afterwards when I saw the setlist I had to double take on some of the snippets cos they were literally 1 line!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »
There's a certain breed of U2 fans that are a bit oversensitive and insular I think. Even if the performance didn't do anything for you, it's hardly a scandal. Acting all indignant about it reminds me in a strange way of the hysteria from non-U2 fans after the SoI release - vastly blown out of proportion.

Anyway, I thought it was quite cool. Gaga's a very accomplished pop star, and it's always nice to hear collaborations between good artists.

As for what she was wearing, it's up to her. She's a bold character and obviously likes to make an impression. Those that judge and lambast her for that really have no business doing so. In fact, no one should tell anyone what they should or shouldn't wear (unless it's an "I 💚 Hitler" T-shirt or something like that).

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
Lady Gaga likes to show off her (great) body, particularly her lower-half. I don't feel comfortable with 'slut-shaming.' As a society, we throw money -- both literally and figuratively -- at women who show skin, but then we get to ridicule them at the same time we pay them? That's ugly.

Lady Gaga is nothing more than Madonna re-incarnated, except she has way better musical chops, is less sexual, and has a better bottom half than top half. Other than those distinctions, she is Madonna 2.0.

In the same message that you are criticizing "slut shaming" you are objectifying her "bottom half" versus "top half"?  Cognitive dissonance, much?

Anyway, I don't think it's U2 jumping the shark, exactly, but these celebrity-sightings tend to be my least favorite part of shows.  I don't care if Mick Jagger is at a concert, if Jimmy Fallon is hiding and performing with the band, or if Lady Gaga is wearing more or less clothing.  I think U2 is so much better as artists than than the rest of them combined it annoys me to have anyone else play with them.  I really like Cash and BB King and still have a hard time with their lead vocals on other U2 songs....

Blofeld

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
the way I see it is if you've got a great ass then you show it off.