Poll

What did you think ?

Meh. Roll eyes. Shake head. Move on.
Lady Gaga is awesome. Loved it.
U2 jumping shark for relevance. Classless gaga shouldn't be on the same stage.

Author Topic: The whole Lady Gaga thing  (Read 4890 times)

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
Re: The whole Lady Gaga thing
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2015, 07:26:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If I was a woman then I'd be upset.

All the hassle women have in this male-dominated world and LGG just comes on stage dressed like a w**** - it's true - and what does that say? That says 'only judge me by my body'.

I understand that there are stage clothes and all that - see Madge, Beyonce and Rhiana - and women can dress how they bloody well like (don't need men telling them what to wear), but it just makes me sad that 4 middle-aged men are all dressed in standard 'rock dad' clothing and Gaga is dressed like a slut.

Or am I getting old?
Imo, women should be allowed to dress how they feel comfortable, without being judged. Lady Gaga included.

Exactly.  You'll notice noone ever accuses a male star of dressing like a "slut" or "w****".  Such judgmental labels are always an attempt to shame women into dressing in ways the accuser finds "acceptable".

'The accuser'???

I didn't even mention 'acceptable' - please re-read my post - as I DID state women can dress how they want BUT she does look like a slut, but f she wants to dress like a slut then bingo she's done it and what a step forward for all the females on the planet that she does dress like a slut.

Man, I wonder if these 'fans' would want their own mums, sisters, daughters, grandmas parading on stage in their underwear looking like a slut - but maybe those 'fans' wouldn't mind that?

Good luck to you being 'accepted'.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
She was in really bad vocal form...well, either that or the song really didn't suit her.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2015, 07:48:11 AM »
I know lady gaga is main stream and has a stupid name, but she writes her own music and does play, not like some of the other modern day popular artists that are a small step above milli vanilli as far as only singing and using the whatever it's called auto tone I think? Plus the crowd loved it, since it was a rare song, I'm sure I'm not the only hardcore U2 fan that loved it.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
Speaking of scantily clad at U2 shows, didn't Chelsea Handler get 'em out near the e stage at one of the LA shows?

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
I was there, and my only issue with Lady Gaga is that her singing style tends to drain meaning from the lyrics and make it all about the singer. For all the talk about Bono's ego, he always uses his voice in service of the song, and not the other way around.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »
Regardless of how anyone feels about Lady Gaga, she certainly is a polarizing choice. I saw OL online and I liked it. LG is a pro. Maybe we can stop with the U2 playing it safe threads now? 😏

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »
I guess I should pick option one on this poll because I didn't hate the performance, but it wasn't spectacular or anything. What I mostly disliked was when Bono and Lady Gaga sang the chorus at the same time, and I can't tell if she was trying to harmonize or what but whatever tune she was singing didn't fit with the actual melody. They should have sung the melody of the chorus together. She sounded okay when she sang the chorus by herself.

Lady Gaga's singing is kind of hit or miss depending on what songs she chooses... I think she sounded the best doing performances with Tony Bennett or when she sang music from The Sound of Music at the Academy Awards, but in more rock or pop oriented performances (like this one) she more often shouts or oversings and it's not very pleasant. She's definitely less restrained live than in her recorded music (what I've heard on the radio anyway).

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »
Also I'm really surprised the word "w****" is censored on the forum and "s***" is not! They have very similar connotations.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »

All the hassle women have in this male-dominated world and LGG just comes on stage dressed like a w**** - it's true - and what does that say? That says 'only judge me by my body'.

I understand that there are stage clothes and all that - see Madge, Beyonce and Rhiana - and women can dress how they bloody well like (don't need men telling them what to wear), but it just makes me sad that 4 middle-aged men are all dressed in standard 'rock dad' clothing and Gaga is dressed like a slut.

Or am I getting old?
Imo, women should be allowed to dress how they feel comfortable, without being judged. Lady Gaga included.

Exactly.  You'll notice noone ever accuses a male star of dressing like a "slut" or "w****".  Such judgmental labels are always an attempt to shame women into dressing in ways the accuser finds "acceptable".

'The accuser'???

I didn't even mention 'acceptable' - please re-read my post - as I DID state women can dress how they want BUT she does look like a slut, but f she wants to dress like a slut then bingo she's done it and what a step forward for all the females on the planet that she does dress like a slut.

Man, I wonder if these 'fans' would want their own mums, sisters, daughters, grandmas parading on stage in their underwear looking like a slut - but maybe those 'fans' wouldn't mind that?

‘The accuser’ was a general point about those condemning Gaga for what she wore on stage.  But you yourself said “Gaga is dressed like a slut” and repeated this as if it is a statement of fact in a later post: “BUT she does look like a slut”.  Would you ever accuse a male star of dressing like a slut?  Judging women as “sluts” on the basis of what they wear is unlikely to be “a step forward for all the females on the planet”. 

Re. acceptance: I did notice from the video that the “real” Edge looked absolutely delighted Gaga was on the stage and the band interacted well with her. 

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »

Or am I getting old?

'The accuser'???

Why should Lady Gaga, or any female pop star, have to carry responsibility of representing all females? Continuously describing her as a "slut" shows your attitudes in a poor light rather than hers.

Maybe her family feel awkward about seeing her like that but that's very much a secondary issue, and their problem alone.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »

Or am I getting old?

Yeah you are getting old if you think the world is male dominated. In fact you might want to go for a mental health check up.

Blofeld

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »
Women do enough slut shaming of other women. they don't need us guys throwing in their two penneth as well.   

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
More power to Lady Gaga, she can wear what she wants and clearly does...

Individuality should be celebrated....the lads from Lypton Village would no doubt have no problem with Ms Gaga's attire.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »
More power to Lady Gaga, she can wear what she wants and clearly does...

Individuality should be celebrated....the lads from Lypton Village would no doubt have no problem with Ms Gaga's attire.

Well said.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
Gaga is a very good singer who isn't your run of the mill pop tart ala Taylor swift or Britney Spears. She is a good performer and songwriter, and who cares what she wears, the less the better. She's got the body so why not flaunt it?

I've no problem at all with U2 performing with her.