Author Topic: U2 I & E Leg 1 Most Diverse Set List Leg of Any U2 Tour As Of Yesterday  (Read 2356 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
From U2gigs.com:

"This means that U2 have now played 45 songs on the first leg of the Innocence + Experience Tour; 43 original songs plus Happy Birthday and Stand By Me. In this period they also did two more original songs at their Roxy sideshow. The leg total of 43 is the most original songs U2 have ever played on any individual leg of a tour, and the figure of 45 songs overall is also close to a record. The third leg of Vertigo had more songs overall, 48, but six were covers, hence it featured only 42 original songs compared to this leg's 43. The second leg of Popmart featured 43 songs overall, of which 27 were originals and 16 covers; the third leg of ZooTV featured 42 songs, of which 28 were originals and 14 covers. In the eighties U2 only once played more than forty songs across an entire tour, never mind an individual leg: they did 44 on the Joshua Tree Tour, of which 29 were originals and 15 covers (our stats on that page show 14 covers because Helter Skelter is counted with Rattle And Hum). My thanks to Kevin Feeney for bringing this statistic to my attention."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:09:35 AM by U2alwaysforever »

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
So much for a static setlist.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
But it IS undeniably a very, very static setlist.

That's the great paradox of the i&e tour - 19 of the 23-24 slots are absolutely, unalterably nailed down, another rotates between only 2, occasionally 3 songs, another has rotated between a growing number - from 2 to now 4 songs - and the other 2-3 slots rotate between an insane number.

Something has to give; at some point they need to start reducing the number of staples to make room for this mass of rotating material.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
I am not sure they should get too much stick for the 19 or whatever it is nailed on songs, but by the same token i dont think they should be lauded too much for the rotating slots and what they have been filled with.

It looks about par to me for a band with such a large catalogue but a band who cant really draw from it with ease at will.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
360 still played classic deep cuts with regularity, more than on i + e. TUF, UV, Zooropa, Scarlet, etc.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Later on in the tour they did. I went to three 360 shows in a row with a nearly identical set list. One was rose bowl, so I give it to them maybe the first two were to be kept tight so it'd be perfect for the dvd.

• Holy Joe
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
360 still played classic deep cuts with regularity, more than on i + e. TUF, UV, Zooropa, Scarlet, etc.

Yeeeeah but then you have to factor in the fact that, for instance, TUF and Zooropa were never played on the same leg; Zooropa only came in at the very end. It comes back to 360 being more predictable. On any given leg of 360 you were guaranteed to get two deep cuts; the first encore song and one elsewhere in the set (Two after Scarlet popped up.) In i&e so far, you might get no rarities at all in a show OR you might get three-four.  If you look at NYC 2 for example, you have two ultra deep cuts in Gloria and October plus the relative rarity and fan favourite Bad and new rarity Volcano.

So you're right that 360 was more regular in its rarities whereas i&e is more unpredictable but can offer more than 360. (And almost guaranteed more new material)

Offline Wolf359

• Babyface
Why would it be surprising that they are playing (have played) more songs on this tour/leg than previous tours? Wouldn't be expected, given that with each new tour, there is (usually) more/new material to draw from?

• Holy Joe
Why would it be surprising that they are playing (have played) more songs on this tour/leg than previous tours? Wouldn't be expected, given that with each new tour, there is (usually) more/new material to draw from?

It's surprising both because they're usually so static in general and because they typically become much looser with the setlist only towards the end of a tour. That's why the only tour legs that rival this one from before tend to be third leg or so; they are crushing 360's first leg by 10 songs despite not playing any NLOTH at all so far.

Blofeld

but they're not playing anything from NLOTH anyways

it seems to me they have hit on a way to have the best of both worlds.  a static section of the set with the new songs ALA Zoo TV, and more variety in the rest of the show.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
This tour is still new.

But they do seem to be busting out more songs that they haven't played all that often recently. Two Hearts, Gloria, October, Sweetest Thing, In God's Country, Miracle Drug, When Love Comes To Town, Electric Co. Then songs like Angel of Harlem and Out of Control...which though they've been played at each tour, have only been played sparingly usually. OOC was only played 6 times on 360 & 9 on Vertigo. Elevation was the only tour it had a large number of plays since 1985. Angel 8 times on 360, 13 on Vertigo but mostly in AUS/NZ. So don't those kinda count?

UV, TUF, Zooropa, Scarlet, HMTMKMKM were played more on 360, but I guess generally the variety was less. Your Blue Room & Electrical Storm popped up briefly.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
The first 10 songs is fine. I wouldn't move any of those.

I would switch up Even Better Than The Real Thing with another song or two, it's tricky though because it has to be something that could work inside the stage after Invisible. I would leave Mysterious Ways because it really still is an awesome song, popular with the crowd, and the band doesn't have many funky danceable tunes like that.

Also, controversial yes, I would drop Streets. It might be the weakest version I've ever seen or heard, and all the energy dies because of Bono's speech, in particular the really annoying asskissing of major corporations likes Coke and Apple. Besides, Pride is now taken the spot of the song with the best crowd response.

WOWY I would alternate with The Troubles, and One/I Still Haven't Found would be second to last songs, not closers.

For closers, I'd say Bad, All I Want is You, or 40.

Blofeld

Your Blue Room is my idea of a rarity.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
The first 10 songs is fine. I wouldn't move any of those.

I would switch up Even Better Than The Real Thing with another song or two, it's tricky though because it has to be something that could work inside the stage after Invisible. I would leave Mysterious Ways because it really still is an awesome song, popular with the crowd, and the band doesn't have many funky danceable tunes like that.

Also, controversial yes, I would drop Streets. It might be the weakest version I've ever seen or heard, and all the energy dies because of Bono's speech, in particular the really annoying asskissing of major corporations likes Coke and Apple. Besides, Pride is now taken the spot of the song with the best crowd response.

WOWY I would alternate with The Troubles, and One/I Still Haven't Found would be second to last songs, not closers.

For closers, I'd say Bad, All I Want is You, or 40.
I would make MW a every few nights song. It got really stale for me. I don't think they could drop Streets, the just need to realize it doesn't work this tour. but you're right about Pride. it has really kicked ass this tour

I would have a spot every night for a song like The Troubles, Bad and some new songs along the same line.

Having those three songs as closers would work a lot better than One. The first night I saw ISHF open, I thought it worked well. The second time not as much.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Strongly disagree on the assessment of Pride. This new 8 minute long version is painful.