Author Topic: U2 I & E Leg 1 Most Diverse Set List Leg of Any U2 Tour As Of Yesterday  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But it IS undeniably a very, very static setlist.

That's the great paradox of the i&e tour - 19 of the 23-24 slots are absolutely, unalterably nailed down, another rotates between only 2, occasionally 3 songs, another has rotated between a growing number - from 2 to now 4 songs - and the other 2-3 slots rotate between an insane number.

Something has to give; at some point they need to start reducing the number of staples to make room for this mass of rotating material.
Give it a rest will u some people are never happy most big bands play the same set every single night ACDC,Depeche mode,Pink Floyd( when they were touring) to name but a few  with no change at all ,90% of fans will see the show only once so most fans will be more than happy with what they get ,maybe u look at the set list too much maybe if u just go to a show without reading what they played the night before u might not be so cynical   and enjoy the gig .If u2 did a completely different set list every night so called fans would still complain about been short changed.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Strongly disagree on the assessment of Pride. This new 8 minute long version is painful.

For you and others yes. But every performance I've watched from this tour, and from the show I went to, the reaction was amazing. The song has a different life and comes right after that passionate rant during Bullet.

I mean I wish they didn't have to make it so long, but its still much better than tours past.

Blofeld

I will reserve judgement until I hear Pride for myself.  no youtube for me.  and I'm going out for 10 pints.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
I will reserve judgement until I hear Pride for myself.  no youtube for me.  and I'm going out for 10 pints.

You'll just have a swift half!

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
Strongly disagree on the assessment of Pride. This new 8 minute long version is painful.

For you and others yes. But every performance I've watched from this tour, and from the show I went to, the reaction was amazing. The song has a different life and comes right after that passionate rant during Bullet.

I mean I wish they didn't have to make it so long, but its still much better than tours past.
this

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
Something tells me that once U2 gets to Europe the diversity will REALLY hit the fan.  I doubt that Bono will be all "This is MY America" in London or Australia.  I'm glad he loves us so much, but he's not from here so his European side should come out more on the next leg.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
But it IS undeniably a very, very static setlist.

That's the great paradox of the i&e tour - 19 of the 23-24 slots are absolutely, unalterably nailed down, another rotates between only 2, occasionally 3 songs, another has rotated between a growing number - from 2 to now 4 songs - and the other 2-3 slots rotate between an insane number.

Something has to give; at some point they need to start reducing the number of staples to make room for this mass of rotating material.
Give it a rest will u some people are never happy most big bands play the same set every single night ACDC,Depeche mode,Pink Floyd( when they were touring) to name but a few  with no change at all ,90% of fans will see the show only once so most fans will be more than happy with what they get ,maybe u look at the set list too much maybe if u just go to a show without reading what they played the night before u might not be so cynical   and enjoy the gig .If u2 did a completely different set list every night so called fans would still complain about been short changed.

Valid points but remember that U2 relies on the same staples/greatest hits night after night while ignoring a huge chunk of their back catalogue. It's easier for them to play the same setlist more or less night after night because of the a/v factor, the screen, everything has to be sequenced and choreographed. It's too bad. The best part of the i + e has been the 1st set and the 'e' stage. Early U2, new songs, and the part of the show that changes most often.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
No doubt about it, this tour Pride is what Streets usually is. As soon as it starts the entire venue, any of the many venues, goes wild. Streets too, but not as much. Nope, not as much at all. It's not a bad thing. It's just that Pride is perfectly placed.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
2 pages of posts on this thread and no mention of Pop...

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Hey everyone, they played October and some other song called Two Hearts Beat as One.  Some mystical, bearded old man ran from his hut atop a hill; exclaiming they haven't played those since the year 1989 - when David Hasselhoff was an international, singing sensation.

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
having seen 3 shows now, the one 'warhorse' they could easily drop is City of Blinding Lights. The crowd reaction is good, but not great, especially on the heels of that Stephen Hawking spoken intro.  That'd be a great spot for This is Where You Can Reach Me Now if they ever decide to play it, and maybe another early song from the pre-JT days.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
They have an almost impossible job of pleasing the casual fan while also trying to please the diehards. I really think they are making their best effort to do both. I also think they are listening to the diehards and trying to give them requested songs.

I saw a tweet this morning I agree with - Acrobat is not in my top 20 songs but just play it so people will be quiet about it, :)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Setlist is really diverse.

This is probably the only time ever U2 has been this early in its tour and they alternate between 3 closers: Still Haven't Found, One, or "40".

They even tried changing the setlist order with the songs that lead into Bullet The Blue Sky.

Also this is early but they have two different intermission songs - The Fly and Wanderer.

They've also incorporated the piano this tour more than any tour - Every Breaking Wave, October, Sweetest Thing, and even Stuck In A Moment - which they reimagined as a piano-full-band version - compared to the acoustic ones in the previous tours.  They changed up Miracle Drug a bit too.

They are playing a lot of new album songs, some deep cuts, a few non-singles, and even some b-sides.  This is not a greatest hits show. U2 have never been as adventurous as this.   

Cheers,

J

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I agree Pride is reinvigorated this tour, but I'm slightly baffled by the claims about crowd reaction. I mean the crowd LOVE it for 100% certain but I'd still say the reaction is measurably less than the reaction to Streets or WOWY or even Beautiful Day.  (Though the transition, even if I despise it, certainly helps Pride)

Something tells me that once U2 gets to Europe the diversity will REALLY hit the fan.  I doubt that Bono will be all "This is MY America" in London or Australia.  I'm glad he loves us so much, but he's not from here so his European side should come out more on the next leg.

This will be an interesting test actually. Historically speaking, the second leg of U2 tours see quite a bit less diversity than the first, because on the first they're still tweaking the show order etc while by the second that's nailed down; there are usually a few early tweaks at the very start and then it stays consistent. Certainly the 'Hands' bit will be gone. But then, the first leg isn't usually this diverse so who knows this time?

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
At least they're sticking to their guns and not dropping the new material like on 360.
That being said, I really wish they would switch Invisible for The Fly.