Author Topic: U2 I & E Leg 1 Most Diverse Set List Leg of Any U2 Tour As Of Yesterday  (Read 2357 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Help me to understand the disgruntlement of "dropping" NLOTH tunes during the 360 tour I read so much about.  They played 7-8 during the first two legs, pretty typical.  But then, oh ya, Bono busted his back, so the tour was delayed.  The last show of the 2nd leg was 10/28/09.  The next show of the third leg was 8/6/10, 10 months later and 18 months since the release of the album. This was their second pass through Europe on the tour,  South America, down under and South Africa hadn't seen them in a while if at all, so playing more hits and war horses certainly made sense for them.

Just my opinion, but I think the change in the set list for the more traditional touring areas made perfect sense given the time lapse and having already been through North America and Europe with the original 360 set list.

If they come back to NA next year, I'm hoping the set is quite a bit different given the time span, hopefully a few SOE tunes or just a different mix.  I would not view it as abandoning SOI if that is what they choose to do.

Blofeld

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Setlist is really diverse.

can't argue with that

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
Can't wait to see what they do in Europe. I think Friday night last show for leg 1 should be very interesting looking forward to that.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
At least they're sticking to their guns and not dropping the new material like on 360.
That being said, I really wish they would switch Invisible for The Fly.

? They hadn't dropped any new material by this point on 360 either, or Vertigo; both still had only 3 new songs by the end of the tour. It's AFTER the main Europe and US legs that things get dicey.

Just my opinion, but I think the change in the set list for the more traditional touring areas made perfect sense given the time lapse and having already been through North America and Europe with the original 360 set list.

Sure, but it's still a notable fact that on past tours they managed to shake up their returns to Europe and the USA without dropping the new material from the set. NLOTH fared poorly by any standard, no way around it. On Europe 2010 that was somewhat compensated by dropping 3 NLOTH songs but adding 2-3 brand new unplayed songs; by America 2011 though even that was gone.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:44:59 PM by The Unknown Caller »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
On Europe 2010 that was somewhat compensated by dropping 3 NLOTH songs but adding 2-3 brand new unplayed songs; by America 2011 though even that was gone.

Were the 2-3 songs ever consistent parts of the show though? I know they played those a few times during the course of the tour, but I can't remember them being staples per se. Even then, there's no guarantee that they would go down like a storm if they did that.

That being said, I was sort of curious to see if any SOE material would pop up on this tour... maybe this upcoming European leg has a chance of that happening (again)?

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Quick Question - and maybe this has already been addressed...but why has there been not one song from NLOTH on this entire leg?  Listen I love deep cuts like Cedars or F/BB...I am not asking for anything like that.  But Magnificent, title track, or Moment of Surrender...just one of these tunes would fit pretty well into their current set.  I really, really liked that album...it was a pretty exciting departure from the previous two albums; but it seems like they want to completely disavow that work.