Author Topic: Why So Short  (Read 1882 times)

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
Why So Short
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
I recently saw U2 during the I&E tour, and don't get me wrong, they are ere just incredible, but why so short? The show was only 2:15. With a band that has so many outakes, non album b sides, soundtrack recordings, etc. you would think they could put on a longer show. Age isn't an excuse, a lot of the old legends that have ten years on U2 play longer. So what is up?

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
Re: Why So Short
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:38:57 AM »
Sorry, I thought you were asking specifically about Bono.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
that's the longest show they have ever done indoors. and to me 2h15 is enough. ok maybe they could make it to 2h30 maybe but beyond that it is too long. I have seen acts playing for longer and it was just boring. even though it's U2 it would be boring too if too long.

hrsan

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »
Most places in the US have curfews.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
that's the longest show they have ever done indoors. and to me 2h15 is enough. ok maybe they could make it to 2h30 maybe but beyond that it is too long. I have seen acts playing for longer and it was just boring. even though it's U2 it would be boring too if too long.

So your telling me a 3 hour Bruce Springsteen show gets boring after the 2:15 mark?  I am huge fan of his also, and his shows just pack a punch the whole way through.  Now, not many bands could pack a punch because they don't have the size of catalog to make it work, but U2 could pull it off, with their hug vault of underrated album cuts, b sides, outtakes, etc.  They could easily craft a longer show that worked just as well.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:44:50 PM »
Most places in the US have curfews.
Start earlier, the light show can work in twilight.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »

So your telling me a 3 hour Bruce Springsteen show gets boring after the 2:15 mark?  I am huge fan of his also, and his shows just pack a punch the whole way through.  Now, not many bands could pack a punch because they don't have the size of catalog to make it work, but U2 could pull it off, with their hug vault of underrated album cuts, b sides, outtakes, etc.  They could easily craft a longer show that worked just as well.

I was thinking about springsteen as I was writing my first post.
I am not saying it gets boring after the 2.15 mark. as I said, 2.30 would be fine to me.
But I saw Springsteen once and god! it was boring after a while.
Plus I remember that there was a long wait after the first half of the show so the momentum was lost when he came back on stage.
And I guess any artist would need longer break if they wanted to play more than 3 hours.
Anyway, 2.15/2.30 is enough to me. my only request would be less talking and more singing.

hrsan

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
It gets rough when the show is on a Monday night and you have to go to work the next day.   In your 20s, it's nothing.  In your 40s, it's a lot tougher.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
Don't know if Bono's voice could handle longer shows, especially back to back, or 8 shows in two weeks.

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
The Boston shows were all 2:25-2:35.  I think 2:25 is pretty much the average for this tour.  2:15 would probably be a 23 song night with short e stage songs. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
My I+E show was 2:35. That's longer than ZooTV, PopMart and Elevation by a good bit.

Springsteen goes between 2:30-2:50 on average. The legend -- yes, he does occasionally go over 3 hours -- has exceeded the fact. I've got 10 ticket stubs, so yes, I do know what I am talking about.

Oasis never broke 2 hours in their whole career.

This is getting silly. Bono's voice is shot by the end of the night. Floors are $80 before fees. What do you want, a pint of blood?

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »
Quality over quantity!

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »
Don't know if Bono's voice could handle longer shows, especially back to back, or 8 shows in two weeks.

Yes, I think we are getting everything he has to give! Edge would need to sing lead/solo for a song or two to get a longer show.  Or, longer  guitar solo's on a song or two- but then again, Bono would just start singing again instead of the guitar solo.

Blofeld

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »
two hours playing time is about right.

surit87

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 03:30:21 PM »
Sorry, I thought you were asking specifically about Bono.

That's what I thought too?